Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitech 5955 servo issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hitech 5955 servo issues

I have a hs-5955tg servo that's on my wreckluse, it will not hardly turn my tires when not moving. I have used this servo before and it did fine. It's chassis mounted and everything seems tight but this thing won't turn for crap. Any insight will be appreciated.
scoutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hitech 5955 servo issues

5955s are getting up there in age. You may just be seeing the effects of a worn out motor combined with the extra stress of a cms setup.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If it works fine axle mounted and cms is the issue..... May be bad steering geometry. Post up pics head on with steering.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Here is a couple of pics, after playing with it more and really paying attention I am seeing alot of body rise and spring unload when turning right mainly.
Any thought on a remedy? Am I gonna need to put a panhard bar on here even though its a 4 link on the front?

Last edited by scoutdawg; 08-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

4 link and cms don't play well together. The links follow an up and down motion only, and the steering link wants the axle to swing side to side. Take off the the tie rod at the servo horn, hold it in position where it normally is bolted and move the suspension up and down. See how the tie rod would be trying to pull on the servo horn? When you put a panhard rod on, and take one of the upper links off, the axle will travel with the tie rod side to side (slightly). Just make sure that the panhard rod and the steering tie rod are perfectly parallel to each other. If they are not, you will still get bump steer. This could very well be your "weak" steering issue. Hope this helps.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87zuk View Post
4 link and cms don't play well together. The links follow an up and down motion only, and the steering link wants the axle to swing side to side. Take off the the tie rod at the servo horn, hold it in position where it normally is bolted and move the suspension up and down. See how the tie rod would be trying to pull on the servo horn? When you put a panhard rod on, and take one of the upper links off, the axle will travel with the tie rod side to side (slightly). Just make sure that the panhard rod and the steering tie rod are perfectly parallel to each other. If they are not, you will still get bump steer. This could very well be your "weak" steering issue. Hope this helps.
Saying 4 link is to general. The triangulated 4 link will induce bump steer when used with a cms like you said but a parallel 4 link using a pan hard bar would not.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

This is a single triangulated 4 link (just the uppers are), so what you are saying is make it a 3 link with a panhard and it will make a huge difference? I am all for trying anything to make it work better
Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Nigels world : very well said. Thanks for the correction.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So I fixed the raising chassis issue by putting a panhard bar on it and it actually crawls very well with it but for some reason when on rock it just doesnt want to turn left unless your moving. It's very responsive and fast when not on the rocks. Is there anything else it may be? Thanks for all the help so far
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Is the rig rolling or rocking when trying to turn that way? Also have a pic from the side with wheels off? May be mis aligned pressures from servo to knuckle. Also may just be like said above, the test of times on the servo.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The rig rolling and rocking has stopped after putting the panhard bar on it, I can take a pic of the side with no wheels in a little bit but the drag link from the servo horn to the knuckle is parallel to the tie rod.

Hitech 5955 servo issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRC Pro/Hitech HS-645MG servo issues FOXX Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 06-29-2011 05:13 AM