Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New DX7S use with RC HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New DX7S use with RC HELP!!!

I have been flying helicopters for 13 years and want to build a rock crawler. I have a DX7S radio and want to know if I can use with one. Main question is how I would get reverse. I want to go scale with a winch, lights and control all thru the radio. Looking at the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 and would like to go with a brushless motor and lipo. Any help or suggestions would appreciated...
Playtime747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Reverse is all in the esc I had my crawler on a dx6i for a while and to be honest its just not the same as a pistol radio.

Think of it like a collective pitch heli where you push forward on thw stick for positive pitch and down for negative pitch. Reverse would be negative and setup just the same on the transmitter as 0 being neutral but on a crawler that would be a brake sounds way more complicated than it is. Pm me if you need help during your setup and we can go over it all on the phone as you are doing it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Go brushed its much better for crawling and scaling

Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New DX7S use with RC HELP!!!

Thanks for your help Chris. So I would have to make sure the throttle stick is centered as would be 0 pitch and down would be reverse and up would be forward. Can I use a 2s lipo with a brushed motor? I am thinking about selling all my heli's and DX7S and just buy a new radio and build a nice scale TF2 with all the upgrades..
Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yes 2s is good I run 2s now with me crawler but 3s is preferred especially with a savox servo they are power hungry I just found that out the hard way but 2s is ok ive ran it with no issues for some time till I put a new savox servo in

Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime747 View Post
Thanks for your help Chris. So I would have to make sure the throttle stick is centered as would be 0 pitch and down would be reverse and up would be forward. Can I use a 2s lipo with a brushed motor? I am thinking about selling all my heli's and DX7S and just buy a new radio and build a nice scale TF2 with all the upgrades..

Go with flysky gt3b that is hacked for radio....... Great radio with more of anything. Also price is great.

Also welcome to the side where the rigs aren't supposed to fly! Lol
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Is the gt3b dsm2?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I prefere spectrum radios you can get a dx3c for around 120 not to bad of a price plise aftermarket recivers are cheap orangerx is like 5 something at the cheapest and 10 for a slightly better one. Plus I know spectrum hold 2 channels dedicated to your model at all times instead fasst or something like that which jumps back and forth between 2 channels which has a greater chance of losing control of your model. Spectrum runs on only one channel till its lost then switches to the other backup mich safer. I come from heli's also and trust me you don't want to lose control of your model that costs hundreds and even thousands of dollars. This probably isnt so important with ctawlers bit I still dont want to risk it and watch my rig tumble down a steep boulder.

I only mention all this as to see if the gt3b is the same

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks Jokerswild... Well, it is done.. Just ordered my RC4WD Trail Finder 2... Now need to do some research on what ESC and motor to go with. Think I will get a brushed 45 or 55 turn but don't know what brand to go with. Any help on brands that are reliable would greatly be appreciated. If it was a heli would be scorpion and CC.. Money is not a concern and want the best esc and motor combo. Any suggestions on a BEC would be great. I have used Castle Creation BEC's with no problems but, if there is one that works better let me know. I plan on having a winch, lights, steering servo, trans servo and one for the steering wheel. Chris, HH has the dx3c on sale for 99.00 and was looking at the dx4s for 249.99. Looks like it is going to be a pain in the ass with the dx7s and want to setup everything right from the start. JokersWild, I want to stick with spectrum because that is all I have used for the last 10 years and never had any problems with them. Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

That is a pretty big order to fill! Anyway, your CC BEC should be fine (both 10 amp and 20 amp). No, I have not heard of anything better. According to almost everyone on here, the Holmes BRX-L is the best brushed ESC. I have never used one though. Next best should be a Tekin FX-r, which I run. Holmes motors are the best, but I can only afford Axial sealed can motors, which are fine for me. Don't get a Traxxas motor. If you go brushless, and want to crawl, a Tekin ROC 412 and RS or RX8 system. If you want speed, a Castle Mamba Max system. Just go with the dx4s, you will want the fourth channel in about two seconds (especially with a 2 speed trans and a winch).

Try and find or build a servo winch. Most scale winches don't have enough weight capacity for the average uber-scale crawler.

I almost forgot about the battery! 2s 5000+mah for a basic, long life battery. 3s 5000+mah for everything else.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have to interject here as I run my scaler with a dx7 and really like it. I have got dual winches front and rear, lights, etc etc etc.... its easy to use- setup could be better on mine but not terrible. remember "scale" is slow, slow is control, control is real.

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
Is the gt3b dsm2?

I'm not going to push one or the other, only going to state that while flying or on ground I've never been a huge spektrum fan.

As for flysky its like the faast system being afhds Automatic Frequency Hopping Digital System. Never had an issue with any of them jumping frequency and glitching out due to it.

The 3c is a good radio, but with me spending $35 and then my added hack to be able to make it do more than I could ask for..... And a 3s 2200 mah Lipo I added, I can't beat the weight, cost or usage of gt3b. And recivers are 10 bucks also....
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Let me know what you guys think... I have done a bunch of reading and have decided to go with the Tekin FX-R and T-45 HW Combo pack and run 3S lipo with CC 10amp BEC. For the radio, go with the DX4S DSMR..
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

do you want a pistol with more than 3 channels? get a flysky. plus, who drives there crawlers from more than 10 feet away?
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
do you want a pistol with more than 3 channels? get a flysky. plus, who drives there crawlers from more than 10 feet away?
That is why I am going with the dx4s... It's a 4 channel pistol.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Jokerswild, Have been doing research on the flysky radios and looks awesome for the price... Found this one with touch screen and 4 channel. Flysky FS IT4 4 Channel 2 4GHz Telemetry Radio Transmitter RC Car Boat Titanium | eBay
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

check this out.

GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread
Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

You might want to think about a 35T motor. In my TF2 I run a FXR with a 35T, and I am happy with it. I also use a DX6i on all of my RCs.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime747 View Post
Jokerswild, Have been doing research on the FlySky radios and looks awesome for the price... Found this one with touch screen and 4 channel. FlySky FS IT4 4 Channel 2 4GHz Telemetry Radio Transmitter RC Car Boat Titanium | Ebay
I would NOT recommend the FS IT4..... read this thread.... Flysky FS-iT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
+1, better option.
Alternate is a hacked GT3C, either one works. I run a hacked GT3B, my son is using a GT3C until I can hack it.

I am a huge Futaba fan, but the price vs. capability of a hacked GT3B/C is REALLY hard to beat.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I did some research on these gt3b radios and after hacking and modding they cost as much as my dx3c and at that point its just about having all the options.