RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Confused...Maybe my BR-XL is on it's way out? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/456946-confused-maybe-my-br-xl-its-way-out.html)

trombley2 08-08-2013 08:30 PM

Confused...Maybe my BR-XL is on it's way out?

I have posted this in the Holmes section but figured it might get better viewing here and maybe somebody can help.

I've got myself a problem and think it's my BRXL. Some moisture managed to get into my "waterproof" box and I think it tweaked something with the esc. Basically, when plugged in, it arms normally and the motor jitters some. It'll function fine with throttle applied for a few seconds to a minute maybe and then completely cuts out (no steering, anything). BRXL resets (sometimes it just beeps) and cuts out again without much load. Sometimes when it resets my winch starts to spool out. It's weird.

I've tried another receiver to make sure it wasn't tweaking out from getting wet, tried a different steering servo, reloaded the ESC firmware, even cut the comm on the puller. No change.

Set up:
FlySky GT3B and 6ch receiver
Hitec HS-645MG
7T Cobalt Puller (550)
Heyok winch and light controller

I've searched "glitches" and such and haven't found a definite conclusion that it's the BRXL.

Anybody experienced similar issues?

Thanks,
-Jon

Ryan87zuk 08-08-2013 08:43 PM

Re: Confused...Maybe my BR-XL is on it's way out?

Does this esc have a on/off switch? This could be the issue. Switch contacts could be dirty. Hope it's not the esc!

trombley2 08-08-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan87zuk (Post 4432502)
Does this esc have a on/off switch? This could be the issue. Switch contacts could be dirty. Hope it's not the esc!

The BRXL doesn't have an on/off switch. I've heard of other esc's having issues with them.

Colgout 08-08-2013 08:55 PM

Try another battery? Use a multimeter to see if the ESC is receiving the correct voltage... Maybe try another ESC just to isolate the problem.

If indeed is the BR-XL, I think Holmes offer some one to one replacement for a fee (much lower than retails) if it is out of warranty.

joshsmith512 08-08-2013 09:28 PM

Bec?

JokersWild 08-08-2013 11:16 PM

X2 on bec?

Sounds like.rx is powering too much stuff

trombley2 08-09-2013 05:57 AM

I tried different battery packs. Maybe the internal BEC got overwhelmed. Unfortunately I don't have another ESC to test with at the moment. Maybe I'll just send it in and swap it for a waterproof one. And get a BEC for the servo, lower the strain.

Charlie-III 08-09-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trombley2 (Post 4432855)
I tried different battery packs. Maybe the internal BEC got overwhelmed. Unfortunately I don't have another ESC to test with at the moment. Maybe I'll just send it in and swap it for a waterproof one. And get a BEC for the servo, lower the strain.

I would try it out without the winch or lights, that should lessen the load on the internal BEC. Your servo should work fine on the internal BEC. Normal "rule of thumb" is that over ~200inoz of servo torque requires an external BEC, the internal BR-XL BEC can do a bit more than that.
Additionally, recalibrate the ESC to the RX.

Any binding in the drivetrain, how is the pinion gear mesh?

What rig is this?

trombley2 08-09-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4432860)
I would try it out without the winch or lights, that should lessen the load on the internal BEC. Your servo should work fine on the internal BEC. Normal "rule of thumb" is that over ~200inoz of servo torque requires an external BEC, the internal BR-XL BEC can do a bit more than that.
Additionally, recalibrate the ESC to the RX.

Any binding in the drivetrain, how is the pinion gear mesh?

What rig is this?

It's an SCX based rig. Everything spins freely and mesh is good. I recalibrated after I reloaded the firmware. I failed to mention that when I tried a different RX, I used a 3 channel and didn't have the winch or light controllers hooked up and it still quit. I checked my transmitter settings too to make sure I didn't accidentally change any epa's or centers.

I'll wire up a different motor tonight and check to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the puller is causing an excessive draw?

Charlie-III 08-09-2013 10:23 AM

Try the rig without the steering servo plugged into the RX, it wouldn't be the first time a servo was on it's way out and overdrew the BEC (internal or external) which would cause brownouts as you described.

winner 08-09-2013 10:38 AM

if it is the ESC for $50 you can send it back to john and get a new one

trombley2 08-09-2013 03:45 PM

So I think I got this sorted out. I hooked up a different motor and it was acting the same way as the puller, being jumpy and such. That only left the ESC.

I discovered this stuff at work that I didn't realize we had. It's made by Wurth and it's called Circuit Board Cleaner SW. Well, I sprayed the sh*t out the ESC and let it dry out. Hooked everything back up the way I had it and so far no issues. Going to plastidip the ESC, put everything back in the box and plastidip that too just for good measure. Hopefully everything continues working.

Thanks for everyones input. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

-Jon