RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Securing LEDs to lexan/plastic buckets (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/456991-securing-leds-lexan-plastic-buckets.html)

GRandturk 08-09-2013 07:36 AM

Securing LEDs to lexan/plastic buckets

How are you securing LEDs into lexan light buckets - like say the headlights for the Axial JK body. Shoe Goo? Tape? CA?

Not talking about the hard mount stuff where Axial has plastic "keepers" to screw on to hold the LED in.

xigtc 08-09-2013 07:52 AM

Shoe goo works or I've used liquid electrical tape. Plus the liquid tape is black and keeps the light from shining back in.

Calderwood 08-09-2013 08:02 AM

Re: Securing LEDs to lexan/plastic buckets

Welders

http://www.killerplanes.com/sites/de...dhesive_sm.jpg

JokersWild 08-09-2013 08:20 AM

Shoegoo the brand eats up the lexan paint and softens the lexan a bit till dry. Gotta be careful and clean with it.

Meatwad 08-09-2013 08:40 AM

Shoe goo works for me. But not on painted surfaces.

GRandturk 08-09-2013 08:47 AM

Thanks guys

badhoopty 08-09-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokersWild (Post 4432962)
Shoegoo the brand eats up the lexan paint and softens the lexan a bit till dry. Gotta be careful and clean with it.

man this is good to know... i was gonna re-inforce the fenderwells on my zuk body this weekend with strips of lexan and shoegoo.

any ideas on a shoegoo kind of adhesive that wont bork the paint or mess with the lexan? that welders stuff that nigel posted maybe?

GRandturk 08-09-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 4433021)
man this is good to know... i was gonna re-inforce the fenderwells on my zuk body this weekend with strips of lexan and shoegoo.

any ideas on a shoegoo kind of adhesive that wont bork the paint or mess with the lexan? that welders stuff that nigel posted maybe?

This probably depends on the type of paint used. I've only had shoo too react to Pactra Flourescent paint and FLO backer. I've used shoo goo over other Pactra, Tamiya, Faskolor paints no problem.

As always test it out first

FWIW - shoo goo is probably the most used product on the inside of lexan bodies to reinforce them

Super 08-09-2013 09:34 AM

I've never had a problem with lexan paint or lexan with the Shoe Goo. I use it all the time.

k7zpj 08-09-2013 11:47 AM

If you are concerned about the clear Shoo Goo not blocking light, it comes in black too.

badhoopty 08-09-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRandturk (Post 4433052)
This probably depends on the type of paint used. I've only had shoo too react to Pactra Flourescent paint and FLO backer. I've used shoo goo over other Pactra, Tamiya, Faskolor paints no problem.

As always test it out first

FWIW - shoo goo is probably the most used product on the inside of lexan bodies to reinforce them

ok. the body was done right, pactra silver on the inside with tamiya yellow on the outside, so im really not worried about it peeling the paint and looking nasty, since you wont see it... i just want a good bond that wont fail because it reacted or wont stick correctly to a painted body.

thanks guys. "thumbsup"

Meatwad 08-09-2013 01:49 PM

The issue I've had with shoe goo is it adhering too well to the paint and ripping it off. Painting the outside after all the inside prep is my go to method now.

phaetonman7 08-09-2013 11:36 PM

Gas any one used a hot glue gun to do this?