Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo wire size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Servo wire size

So I got to thinking of ways to upgrade things so I started searching here on RCC when I found something sort of related to my quandary in this thread.

My thought is why wouldn't upgrading the quality of copper and size of wire powering the servo help to not only make it more efficient but also up the torque output of the servo? 22 gauge is the standard on higher output servos as far as I can tell but why not up it to 18 or so?

Upping the leads on the batteries and esc to 12 gauge has performance advantages so why wouldn't it on the second highest amp drawing part of the rig too?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

22ga stranded copper can handle 7a, which should cover servo applications easily enough. Upgrading to a better quality/heavier gauge wouldn't hurt. Not sure about benefit overall. Next consideration is what's inside the servo. Would it benefit? Would it create a bottleneck, negating the benefit provided by bigger wiring?
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo wire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
22ga stranded copper can handle 7A, which should cover servo applications easily enough. Upgrading to a better quality/heavier gage wouldn't hurt. Not sure about benefit overall. Next consideration is what's inside the servo. Would it benefit? Would it create a bottleneck, negating the benefit provided by bigger wiring?
Good points.

Additionally, what about the pins & traces in the RX, what can they handle.
There is also differences between a "peak load" vs. a "sustained load".

ESC's and servos tend to be "peak loads" where wire size is not as much an issue.

Keep your wire lengths short, try to keep connections clean & tight and you will be fine.
A minor change in wire wire may help a little, but is it enough to offset the effort to make it work?

I agree that short heavy ga wire runs for carpet cars pulling lots of sustained amps shows a benefit, not so much in crawlers.
At least, not enough for me to go through the effort.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo wire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
22ga stranded copper can handle 7a, which should cover servo applications easily enough. Upgrading to a better quality/heavier gauge wouldn't hurt. Not sure about benefit overall. Next consideration is what's inside the servo. Would it benefit? Would it create a bottleneck, negating the benefit provided by bigger wiring?
These are the same things I'm wondering. If we could get more current TO the servo is the board able to turn that energy into output.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo wire size - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wire Size? Tortuga275 Electronics 1 03-03-2011 05:53 PM
Wire size. Airick EnRoute Berg 3 06-17-2009 10:00 PM
What Size Wire Harvo Newbie General 11 03-15-2009 10:41 PM
wire size for a y-harness HaSharetz Electronics 1 09-08-2008 04:19 PM
What wire size BigKRI Electronics 6 03-01-2008 01:03 PM