Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Onyx battery warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Onyx battery warranty?

Do Onyx batteries carry a warranty? I've had one for less than a year and it has maybe 15-20 charges through it and my charger is giving me a low voltage error with it.

I couldn't find any info on a warranty.

Is there a more reliable pack I can use? It needs to be a 2s 5000mah 25-30c and can be no larger than 143mm in length, 31mm in height and 51mm width.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Onyx battery warranty?

Do you mean it won't charge because the cells are too low ? Try charging it on the NiMH setting for a couple minutes to bring the voltage up enough to stop the alarm going off on the LiPo setting.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thats not their fault you let it get to low. I've had an onyx 5700 20c 2s for over a year. Has well over 50cycles on it. Still charges to 5700
Everytime.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

From what I read you get a low voltage error when the battery is bad. My Ridgecrest automatically kills the power before the voltage goes to low so I do not see how it would be anything that I have done.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoolHandLukex View Post
Do you mean it won't charge because the cells are too low ? Try charging it on the NiMH setting for a couple minutes to bring the voltage up enough to stop the alarm going off on the LiPo setting.
What setting should I use under NIMH?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
From what I read you get a low voltage error when the battery is bad. My Ridgecrest automatically kills the power before the voltage goes to low so I do not see how it would be anything that I have done.
The stock lipo cut off is right at the last chance of lipo charging. I changed mine to 3.4volts
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoolHandLukex View Post
I have only ever needed to bump them on nihm for a couple of seconds.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Do you store your batteries after you kill them? Gotta ask since you said you have had it about a year with less than 20 cycles that tells me its sits a good bit. Batteries loose a bit of voltage when they sit especially one that has been already drained right to the edge of what it shouldn't go under. As the others have said you should be able to bump it up on nimh charge and charge it on lipo charge after the bump.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I read you should store the batteries drained, less chance of a fire hazard with the lipos. So usually when I run the trucks I'll leave the battery either in the truck or in a lipo bag. I'll go through spurts. I may use the trucks several times in a few days then I won't touch them again for a few weeks or more.

I use the NIMH setting when charging the hump pack for my Savage. Would the 1.2a setting suffice or do I need to kick it up to 5.0a sine it's a 5000mah battery?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I read you should store the batteries drained, less chance of a fire hazard with the lipos. So usually when I run the trucks I'll leave the battery either in the truck or in a lipo bag. I'll go through spurts. I may use the trucks several times in a few days then I won't touch them again for a few weeks or more.

I use the NIMH setting when charging the hump pack for my Savage. Would the 1.2a setting suffice or do I need to kick it up to 5.0a sine it's a 5000mah battery?
Lipo batteries should be stored at approximately 50% charge which is about 3.85V per cell. The battery will self discharge over time and if not charged for storage there is the risk the voltage will drop below 3.0v and damage the battery. A good charger has a lipo store mode that will stop charging at the proper storage voltage for the pack.

Here is a link to a good article about the use and care of Lipo batteries
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries

Last edited by k7zpj; 08-16-2013 at 04:23 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'll take a look at that. I believe my charger has a store mode but I'll double check. I'm using this: Traxxas EZ-Peak
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Always store your lipo batteries.

The 1.2a nimh should work. Just stay right with it and as soon as the voltage is up to what it should be which on 2s I think is about 6.4volts change it over to lipo charge.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Tried a normal Lipo charge again and it worked fine. I'm not sure why it suddenly started working but I'm not going to complain.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the pack may have recovered just enough to let you charge it. The nimh charge at .5 amp for 30secs-1min usually does the trick. Keep in mind that after your lipo cutoff happens, if you blip it more than a couple times, that could be enough to trigger the low voltage thing. Trips me out how many dudes continually try the throttle, over & over, before they figure out their lipo's dead.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Onyx battery warranty? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Lifetime Battery Warranty On Hybrids SMR 510RR Chit Chat 7 03-17-2012 09:07 PM
Novak rooster fried, Does installing new battery connectors void warranty? Diesel-tech Electronics 4 04-13-2011 06:51 PM
Onyx 220&battery Questions MiddleT Electronics 3 01-14-2009 10:37 AM