Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default GT3B Mods

Figured since there isnt really a place for mods on the fs-gt3b or 3c (excluding the hack and basics that go with it i.e. lipo, voltage regulator and bearing for steering), I would start this to encourage any other mod to be posted in here as to not clutter up Austins "hack Q&A" thread.

Obviously I have done just about everything I can at this point to my GT3B and awaiting my wrap to be done/made, but certain things come up and within my google search comes up with poor results......

So ill start it off with my attempt at a hacked up lanyard mod

This cost me really nothing due to I keep stupid things around in bins. I started with a carbon fiber shock tower that had been cracked and non useful for the rig it come from. The material is 3mm thick and this is how i cut it using a dremel tool cut off wheel and some drill bits.

Roughly 3/8 wide

And 7/8 long

The hole size was under 1/4 inch but I used some diamond dremel bits to enlarge the hole to fit in the chassis of the radio very tight. This is where you want it to fit tight.... I then notched the chassis of the radio to fit the exact width of the carbon fiber and fit all in place (note with using 3mm it all fits perfect if using thicker material it wont fit, and notice where i cut the chassis down to the rib line on radio.)

All fitting and tight

Now there is a step I forgot to take a pic of and that was on the back of the top cover for the radio there is a female side pin that fits over the pin i put the carbon fiber around. It hold the circuit board downward and you will need to cut it off flush with the cover as to let the cover come all the way down on top of the carbon fiber (if no one understands this i can tear all apart and get picture of it). Basiclly hold it flat and look across it, this is where you need to cut it off..... 3mm down approximately.

All done, tight fitment and works great. I think its very clean and does not look like the "two holes and fishing line" I have seen. And to me it dosent bother me being on the front, I could have done straight out the back but radio would not lay flat in my case. Would have liked to go out the side where power switch was but seemed like too much work making a part and this was quite easy, and took about 30 mins.

So let me know what ya think and what others have came up with

JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GT3B Mods

Nice mod & post.

I have yet to see a need for a lanyard, but can see the reason. Since we have a few GT3/x radios, any mod is worth looking into.

Thanks a ton for posting.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I didn't see a huge need for it either till a couple months ago I lost the end of my finger in a work related indecent, thus having issues for a time with the use of one hand and having tendon issues in same arm. Figured less to carry and I can hang the weight of controller (even tho its pretty light with lipo) from lanyard as I drive keeping tendons from locking up in said arm.

Thanks for comment
Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It is worth mentioning that the dust from cutting cabor fiber is very very bad for you. Be safe guys.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Meh.... So is the asbestos I work around almost everyday lol but yea be safe, obviously don't huff the dust. good idea on warning.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Nifty...best lanyard mod i've so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
as to not clutter up Austins "hack Q&A" thread.
It can be cluttered up more than it already is?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks,

Figured this and other mods not pertaining to the hack would "clutter" it up way more than it already get with same questions. Lmao
Old 11-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Damn a year later and no one else has nothing to add?

Well I have done a few things and built couple more radios........ So ill have to get some pics together and post em up.

- another carbon fiber lanyard mod
- replaced switches
- flipped screen
- working on screen color change now......

If ya got something post it up.

GT3B Mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FlySky GT3B hacking and mods the_ocho Nevada 0 01-17-2012 05:15 PM
Fs-gt3b? BrianP Electronics 25 11-05-2011 08:30 PM
Do you have a GT3B? losikid Electronics 36 06-18-2011 02:30 PM