Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

I have been working on a "servo positioner project". I think the software part is almost finished.

...But first, what is the problem that I am trying to solve?
Here's just on example - you can probably think of others...
So let's say you have a drive shaft type dig set up on your rig that can have three modes:
  1. 4 wheel drive
  2. Front wheel drive with the rear wheels free
  3. Front wheel drive with the rear wheels locked.
With a modern transmitter with a three position channel that has trim, left end point and right end point, this is a fairly easy setup.

If what you have to work with is a two position channel transmitter, you have to make some compromises. You probably only have 4 wheel drive and one of the other modes, plus, you likely don't have end points so you have to be super careful with your linkage so that you don't overwork your servo by having it push to hard against any mechanical limits.

My project will let you get three easily adjustable servo positions from your two position channel.

This is what it will look like:
(Sorry, no pictures yet as it is still in the prototype stage - have to use your imagination for now)
There is a servo plug that goes to a two position channel on a receiver. There is a servo signal output where you would plug in a servo. In between these cables would be the circuit which would have three pots and each pot would have a LED beside it.

Each time the control on the two position channel is pushed and released, it selects the next of three pots as indicated by the lit LED. That pot sets the position of the servo connected to the output cable.

I will do my best to keep the price low.

I'd appreciate any comments or questions you might have on this.

Thanks!
Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Got Worms?

Default Re: Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

Sounds like a 2p-3tp wAs adapter....
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I searched for that and didn't find anything.

There is a link on your web site:
wantA3tp

Doesn't open anything though. Got more info?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Got Worms?

It's not on my new site...haven't sold one in over a year

But the old site had it
3 True Position Adapters

Im redesigning all the wAs adapters, so I'll have new versions early next year I think.
I was just curious how similar they were.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's not on my new site...haven't sold one in over a year

But the old site had it
3 True Position Adapters

Im redesigning all the wAs adapters, so I'll have new versions early next year I think.
I was just curious how similar they were.
I'm curious too. I guess we have some overlap with our products.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I'm curious too. I guess we have some overlap with our products.
If they do overlap, nothing wrong with:

-Another option
-Friendly vendor competition (at least, from my viewpoint).

[Sheesh.... yet another thing HeyOK can pick on us about if we don't recommend his items......]
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

If they do overlap, nothing wrong with:

-Another option
-Friendly vendor competition (at least, from my viewpoint).

[Sheesh.... yet another thing HeyOK can pick on us about if we don't recommend his items......]
Hell I plug em both every chance I get, and buy both there products...... But still neither has taken me to dinner! I'm only asking for mc donalds..... I'm cheap, ill eat off the .99 cent menu, dont even have to take me in, I'm fine with the drive through.*
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Got one built:
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Hell I plug em both every chance I get, and buy both there products...... But still neither has taken me to dinner! I'm only asking for mc donalds..... I'm cheap, ill eat off the .99 cent menu, dont even have to take me in, I'm fine with the drive through.*
I've gotten some help from LosiKid, so I can't complain.

HeyOK seems to be an OK guy as well.

Yes, I plug them both when possible, I just forget sometimes.

HeyOK, looks like a tidy little unit.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Made a video of the controller!

RC 2 Position to 3 Position controller. - YouTube
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Looks a good idea. Stupid question, but won't the end points control 2 of the settings anyway? Although maybe if you cant adjust end points on auxiliary channel it would help I guess.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Looks a good idea. Stupid question, but won't the end points control 2 of the settings anyway? Although maybe if you cant adjust end points on auxiliary channel it would help I guess.
Yes, if you have a transmitter with end points and you are going to use it for two positions. If you need three positions, this lets you set three positions.

I suppose those aren't technically two end points and a center, as you really only end up with three specific positions. No linear motion in between.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

This is just what i need so I can have 3 pos dig on my wraith!

Are they finished and for sale?
CrazyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

They are essentially finished, but I suddenly have a lot on my honey do list, so I can't post them for sale just yet. Hopefully in the next couple of days they should be ready. I will post up here and in my vendor thread when they are ready to go.

Thanks,
Al
Old 11-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Working on this part again. Must confess that I forgot about it.

Yesterday I got a PM from someone interested in one, but he couldn't do it for the price I felt I had to charge. That inspired me to try and make a less expensive version.

This is it:

It is using different components so it isn't costing me as much in parts, and I have skipped on the LEDs. You will just have to be careful to adjust the right pot!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

This is the link to the part in the vendor section:
Convert a TWO position channel to a THREE position channel!

Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 121 05-19-2020 03:08 PM
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel) heyok Vendors Electronics 239 12-12-2017 06:04 AM
Two position channel, Park/Headlight controller heyok Vendors Electronics 2 05-05-2014 06:25 AM
MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 26 03-24-2014 12:38 PM