Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BR-XL issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default BR-XL issue

Br-xl only beeps when power is applied. It provides no steering no motor control, cannot be recalibrated or enter atick programming. Is this a corruption issue?
Fletch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: BR-XL issue

Where you at in tacoma?

Holding tx throttle down before turning rx on and still won't go into calibration?
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

How old is the ESC?
Did it work before?
If it did, what was done to the rig recently?
Do any LED's come on? If so, what ones??
Is the battery good, and charged?
Are the batteries in the radio good?
Is the ESC plugged in correctly to the RX?
What radio??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

It is brand new it worked before fresh battery all lights flash and continuous beep. It was in the middle of a run then just quit started beeping eveeything is hooked up correctly as it has a few runs on thw current setup. Can not enter calibration or stick programming.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

All of the LEDs flashing indicates that the ESC isn't getting a valid signal from the receiver.

Things to try:
  • Double check the connector / wire from the br-xl to the receiver and that it is plugged in the correct orientation.
  • Make sure that your throttle trim is set to the 0 or neutral position and that the End Point Adjustments if your radio has them is set to 100.
  • Futaba and some other radios require the throttle channel be set to reverse. I would double check this setting.
  • Unplug the servo and see if this resolves the problem.
  • If you a Castle Link or can borrow one, see if you can reset the BR-XL settings to default.
  • Contact Holmes Hobbies for help.

Last edited by k7zpj; 09-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch24 View Post
Br-xl only beeps when power is applied. It provides no steering no motor control, cannot be recalibrated or enter atick programming. Is this a corruption issue?
Howdy - the HH esc would not have any impact on steering other than not providing power to the servo if you are not running a BEC. Based upon what you are saying, I would suggest verifying your receiver is still bound properly to your radio - as this sounds more like a RX issue than an ESC issue.

Hope that helps!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
All of the LEDs flashing indicates that the ESC isn't getting a valid signal from the receiver.

Things to try:
  • Double check the connector / wire from the br-xl to the receiver and that it is plugged in the correct orientation.
  • Make sure that your throttle trim is set to the 0 or neutral position and that the End Point Adjustments if your radio has them is set to 0.
  • Futaba and some other radios require the throttle channel be set to reverse. I would double check this setting.
  • Unplug the servo and see if this resolves the problem.
  • If you a Castle Link or can borrow one, see if you can reset the BR-XL settings to default.
  • Contact Holmes Hobbies for help.
EPA's need to be 100, not 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B94Cast View Post
Howdy - the HH esc would not have any impact on steering other than not providing power to the servo if you are not running a BEC. Based upon what you are saying, I would suggest verifying your receiver is still bound properly to your radio - as this sounds more like a RX issue than an ESC issue.

Hope that helps!
True, even uncalibrated it should still be providing internal BEC power to the RX I believe.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Its the weekend holmes hasnt answered yet. I have slaved every other component into another vehicle everything else works. I heard from one poster that it may be corrupted that it may need the castle link to reset but why not sell this with your product if it is required.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Sounds like we are not getting the Complete story.

What rx tx?
What servo?
Are you running an external BEC?
LIPO or NIMH?

I havn't heard of a holmes being corrupt, but anything can happen.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's the weekend & Holmes hasn't answered yet. I have slaved every other component into another vehicle & everything else works. I heard from one poster that it may be corrupted that it may need the Castle link to reset but why not sell this with your product if it is required.
Holmes is at the Nats in Prescott, AZ., he may have time tonight to read emails. Otherwise, he is watching rigs on rocks.

As to providing the CC link with every ESC or BEC....why?? We have ~6 each ESC's & BEC's in my house, I have no need for 6 CC links.

Holmes DOES sell the CC link for those that don't have them.

Holmes Hobbies LLC
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Its the weekend holmes hasnt answered yet. I have slaved every other component into another vehicle everything else works. I heard from one poster that it may be corrupted that it may need the castle link to reset but why not sell this with your product if it is required.

I know Holmes is out of town.... This is why I asked where in tacome you are.... I have castle link, use the brxl, live just outside Tacoma..... And am pretty educated on the electronics.....
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I am also in tacoma off pac ave and your getting the full story it was working mid run it stopped started beeping no more worky.

Last edited by Fletch24; 09-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

From what you said try to recalibrate it with a fresh battery. I had one six months ago that took a dump it would calibrate and work just fine. But when you shut it off it lost its memory. It was brand new. Try to reset it . If it still doesn't work send it back for warranty. He does a good job with customer service. Thes speed controls are of super high quality. You get some faulty parts. They are made and designed by humans.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am also in tacoma off pac ave and your getting the full story it was working mid run it stopped started beeping no more worky.
Well took to long to respond. Was out and about in that area today, would have stopped in and checked it out for ya... Well off to work out of town for the next week in the am.

Question..... Is your rx lighting up at all?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

So I plugged in the same batteries last night and everything booted up fine no adjuatments were made no electronic changes. It just decided to work. Im gunna crawl must be right somehow it just dumped the memory or something and it just randomly starts to work...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I really hope this isnt an intermittent problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
So I plugged in the same batteries last night and everything booted up fine no adjuatments were made no electronic changes. It just decided to work. Im gunna crawl must be right somehow it just dumped the memory or something and it just randomly starts to work...
Might need version update....
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Ya gonna have to fork over more money into this thing for the castle link. Thanks anyway. This is cutting into my PS4 preorder payoff hahah. The milotary needs to pay more I have to many hobbies.

BR-XL issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMP issue... i think i'm the issue. concretejungle Electronics 12 08-13-2012 02:52 PM
Another issue?? lildjloop Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-13-2009 10:47 AM
R2 Issue themaze76 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 09-24-2008 10:59 PM
Anybody else have this issue Gula Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 07-21-2006 05:25 AM