Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: radio question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Default radio question

Hey Guys,

Im pretty new to RC and RC crawling, only been in the hobby for about a year now. I recently built an SCX10 Wrangler kit and I am wanting to make it a scaler... That being said I want to run lights and a winch. I plan on adding about LED's total and obviously only one winch. I dont care if all the LED's turn on and off at once, but I do want the winch to function properly.

Can someone reccomend a good radio set up for this? I was looking into the FLYSKY FS-ITS4 but read it cant run a winch. Are there any other options out there that are around the same price point that may be better?

Thanks in advance for the help!
n00bcrawling34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: radio question

check out the flysky gt3 b or gt3 c then get ahold of losi kid on here and he can turn them into anything up to 8 ch. look for the gt3 b/c hack thread.
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

+1!! You just cannot beat the functions and price of a hacked GT3-B or C
Wadsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by envious8420 View Post
check out the flysky gt3 b or gt3 c then get ahold of losi kid on here and he can turn them into anything up to 8 ch. look for the gt3 b/c hack thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadsta View Post
+1!! You just cannot beat the functions and price of a hacked GT3-B or C
+2.... low end but lots of channels, hacked GT3B/GT3C.

Check out www.OverkillRC.com, that is THE site for buying these radios.

And yes, the support on RCC is great.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Another vote for the hacked GT3B from overkillrc.com. I like mine a lot better then the 4pl I have.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Gt3b/c ........ Its4 is a pos. All fancy with no action.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just want to be different, I have not used a hacked GT3B so can't comment. However, if you want a radio that do it out of the box, I use Futaba 4pl, you have the control of the light AND winch no problem. If you only want to control the winch, then Specktrum Dx3C will be good with a 3 pos 3rd channel switch.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

like I said I'm pretty new to this. The one thing I liked about the FlySky IT4 is that it looked really easy to program and set things up.

Are the GT3s hard to configure which switches do what, 4WS, servo reversing, and all that other fun stuff?

Thanks for the good advice!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you have the $ Futaba 4pl
cheaper DX3C
Not a big fan of the flysky radios... Just my 2 cents.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
If you have the $ Futaba 4pl
cheaper DX3C
Not a big fan of the flysky radios... Just my 2 cents.
Agreed
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I used all 3 radio actually, I actually find specktrum DX3C the easiest to program. Second is 4PL (but its more capable than the DX3C with lot more functions). The GT3B (non-hacked) one is the hardest to use IMHO, but it works.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The hacked GT3B's can be confusing to program. But nothing listed here comes close to the capabilities of the hacked version. 8ch and any button for anything. It may not be as prestigious as a 4pl but I prefer this GT3B over a 4pl. I have a 4pl too and I am thinking of selling it.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin707 View Post
Agreed

Obviously neither have used the gt3b or gt3c.

The its4 won't do what you really want in total and has no ability to be hacked ( according to Austin)

I have used 4pk, 4pl, 4pls, mt4, dx3r, dx3r pro, dx3, dx3c, dx3s, m11(with 2.4 GHz module) not m11x and fs-gt3b hacked.

I will say it like this, I have ran this rig on many rigs I have on the track with zero issues. Actually suprised me so much I sold my dx3r pro. For running on any crawler or scaler is perfect in my eyes..... Cost me will all mods I did right around $120 I.did voltage regulator, Lipo, hack, bearing, New wheel, wheel cover, skin, etc.

At this price I can litterally smash it at a comp...... Order new one for $35 and spend an hour swapping it all over and be ok. And still at this price double the channels of any other pistol style radio out there with an rx that costs $7-$12 and exceeding more models than any standard group would prolly have (i think I'm set up @ 86 models).

This is my opinion based really on a rig that's usually not more than feet from me, traveling quite slow and in a controlled situation really..... It's not a boat, not a plane, and not traveling at children @ high speeds..... I've never had glitch or failure for any reason, water or not, from unit. Nor from distance loss either. Also 3ch rx has fail safes...... Some other brands do not offer them at all on their rx. So just my .02 on it.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Obviously neither have used the gt3b or gt3c.

The its4 won't do what you really want in total and has no ability to be hacked ( according to Austin)

I have used 4pk, 4pl, 4pls, mt4, dx3r, dx3r pro, dx3, dx3c, dx3s, m11(with 2.4 GHz module) not m11x and fs-gt3b hacked.

I will say it like this, I have ran this rig on many rigs I have on the track with zero issues. Actually suprised me so much I sold my dx3r pro. For running on any crawler or scaler is perfect in my eyes..... Cost me will all mods I did right around $120 I.did voltage regulator, Lipo, hack, bearing, New wheel, wheel cover, skin, etc.

At this price I can litterally smash it at a comp...... Order new one for $35 and spend an hour swapping it all over and be ok. And still at this price double the channels of any other pistol style radio out there with an rx that costs $7-$12 and exceeding more models than any standard group would prolly have (i think I'm set up @ 86 models).

This is my opinion based really on a rig that's usually not more than feet from me, traveling quite slow and in a controlled situation really..... It's not a boat, not a plane, and not traveling at children @ high speeds..... I've never had glitch or failure for any reason, water or not, from unit. Nor from distance loss either. Also 3ch rx has fail safes...... Some other brands do not offer them at all on their rx. So just my .02 on it.
I have never owned one but have used one. It is the cheapest feeling tx I have ever held. Too small and buttons poorly positioned IMHO. You spent $120 on a tx that has no warranty and can drive other peoples rigs nutz!!!

Some love it like you but I would rather put my $ behind a company that dosen't require $100 dollars worth of upgrades to be a usable radio. BTW how many times have you had to watch a youtube video to figure out how to program it.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #15

thanks everyone for the good infor..

with that said, couple of questions..

other than the GT3 radios.. is there a 4CH radio that is easy to program between $100-150..

Also like I said the was drawn to the FLYSKY ITS4 because of how easy everything looks in setting up rigs.. that being said is it possible for this thing to run both lights and a winch?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Location: If assholes could fly this place would be a airport

Its crazy a third of the page likes futuba another third of the page likes spektrum the other percentage loves flysky... what does it come down to???
SmokeScx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeScx10 View Post
Its crazy a third of the page likes futuba another third of the page likes spektrum the other percentage loves flysky... what does it come down to???
Mostly personel prefenece and budget. I myself love my 4pl and if I could justify it I would upgrade to a 4pksr but just not enough to warrant the upgrade for what I do. I do not have a super so the 4pl does everything I need and then some. Programming is fairly easy and I am by no means a radio guru.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bcrawling34 View Post
thanks everyone for the good infor..

with that said, couple of questions..

other than the GT3 radios.. is there a 4CH radio that is easy to program between $100-150..

Also like I said the was drawn to the FLYSKY ITS4 because of how easy everything looks in setting up rigs.. that being said is it possible for this thing to run both lights and a winch?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Obviously neither have used the GT3B or GT3C.

I have used 4pk, 4pl, 4pls, mt4, dx3r, dx3r pro, dx3, dx3c, dx3s, m11(with 2.4 GHz module) not m11x and fs-GT3B hacked.

I will say it like this, I have ran this rig on many rigs I have on the track with zero issues. Actually surprised me so much I sold my dx3r pro. For running on any crawler or scaler is perfect in my eyes..... Cost me will all mods I did right around $120 I.did voltage regulator, LiPO, hack, bearing, New wheel, wheel cover, skin, etc.

At this price I can literally smash it at a comp...... Order new one for $35 and spend an hour swapping it all over and be OK. And still at this price double the channels of any other pistol style radio out there with an rx that costs $7-$12 and exceeding more models than any standard group would prolly have (i think I'm set up @ 86 models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Mostly personnel preference and budget. I myself love my 4PL and if I could justify it I would upgrade to a 4pksr but just not enough to warrant the upgrade for what I do. I do not have a super so the 4PL does everything I need and then some. Programming is fairly easy and I am by no means a radio guru.

I will start off with...."I am a Futaba fan, have been since the late 70's!!"

There are 2 radios that get used in this house:
Futaba (4PL & 3PM-x.....currently although there are quite a few other Futaba radios here that work.....)
FlySky GT3B & GT3C. The GT3B is hacked, the GT3C's are not hacked...yet.

Yes, I love our Futaba's, but when asked to pay almost as much as a hacked GT3B to add a RX to my 3PM-x......I have to ask, "Is it really worth it??"
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

That you need to ask yourself some question.... The FASST is mainly aim for fast response time in the area of racing when response time is important. Likewise for DSM2 in specktrum. So if you need the fast response time, you have to pay for it, not that I reckon crawler need it and therefore I bought a 4PL.

The 4PL's S-FHSS Rx is reasonable price (about $35 to your door).

4PL is far from perfect, for example, there is no visual indication of the dig and proportion you are in (hacked GT3C has), the stopwatch is mainly race oriented, ie no count down timer and can be stop (DX3C has count down time and can be stopped and resumed).

Maybe the new DX4S has both the above (visual indication and timer) but I have not seen one or use one.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I know the op want a budget radio but I would suggest saving a few more bucks and get the dx4s. The 4 channels can handle everything you want, you can set which switch you want to control each function and easy to program. All this and a lot more features all out of the box, OH!! And a 30 model memory, preset and adjustable mixes for 4ws out of the box as well. I know it's a lil pricey but I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. And the switches can be adjusted to function as 2pos or 3pos.
taco08jk is offline   Reply With Quote

radio question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
radio question knucklehead459 Electronics 12 07-02-2012 10:04 PM
radio question putzee Electronics 6 06-30-2010 12:59 PM
Radio Question newtocrawling Electronics 3 02-23-2010 09:06 AM
radio question mattykane Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 11-17-2009 03:02 AM
Radio Question Nates Creations Electronics 5 07-13-2009 07:49 PM