Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Trail Master Sport getting hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HH Trail Master Sport getting hot

I have a new Wraith build that I'm running a Holmes Trail Master Sport/ BR-XL Combo on 3S Lipo. It was geared 11/56 but after 5 min of driveway testing the motor was way to hot to touch. I just geared down to 10/56 and after the same 3-5 min of driveway testing the motor is still to hot to touch.

Should I try 9/56 (lowest I can fit) gearing or am I asking to much of this $12 motor? The reason I like the cheap motor is because I plan to use this rig in water and mud. I'd like to keep the 27 turn instead of a 35 for the speed.

I'm running Meyhem wheels non weighted and my rig is pretty much stock weight.

Thoughts? Would a 27T Torque Master be better suited and heat up less?

Last edited by cox308; 09-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HH Trail Master Sport getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
I have a new Wraith build that I'm running a Holmes Trail Master Sport/ BR-XL Combo on 3S Lipo. It was geared 11/56 but after 5 min of driveway testing the motor was way to hot to touch. I just geared down to 10/56 and after the same 5 min of driveway testing the motor is still to hot to touch.

Should I try 9/56 (lowest I can fit) gearing or am I asking to much of this $12 motor? The reason I like the cheap motor is because I plan to use this rig in water and mud. I'd like to keep the 27 turn instead of a 35 for the speed.

Thoughts?
Why can you only fit a 56 tooth spur?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Make sure none of the drive train is binding. Disconnect the drive lines and make sure the axles and tranny spin freely. I ran a 62/10 with my HH 27t torque master and it never over heated. You can fit a bigger spur than a 56t, just won't be able to run the cover.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have the same motor running 3S in an scx10 with 87/18 Gearing which is actually higher than what you have. It gets pretty warm but not too hot to touch. I agree with crawler nut, you must have something else making the motor work too hard. A decent test would be to run it with a 2S lipo first and see if it does the same. If so, you know you have binding. Did you put any kind of lift kit in it? That could cause driveshaft binding. Also, did you happen to rebuild either the transmission or diffs and fill with grease? If you overfill, you will will have too much load for the motor from the transmission.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You may just be driving it hard, the TrailMaster sport isn't a high efficiency motor and the Wraith is heavy. I would drive it till it stops, use the water too keep it cool!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
You can fit a bigger spur than a 56t, just won't be able to run the cover.
With a little bit of sanding the cover will fit over a 60t.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

My 56T rubs a tiny bit. Not sure I could sand enough away to fit a 60. Might give it a try though.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
I have a new Wraith build that I'm running a Holmes Trail Master Sport/ BR-XL Combo on 3S Lipo. It was geared 11/56 but after 5 min of driveway testing the motor was way to hot to touch. I just geared down to 10/56 and after the same 3-5 min of driveway testing the motor is still to hot to touch.

Thoughts? Would a 27T Torque Master be better suited and heat up less?
Check the motor it self, take it out and run it with zero load. I had this happen to me and it turned out to be a bad motor.
PaulzOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Why can you only fit a 56 tooth spur?
The 56t traxxas spur I'm running is damn near touching the MIP driveshaft.

Thanks for the advise guys I will check for binding in the drivetrain. I know it's a cheap motor but I want to kill it beacause of an improper set up.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have a BR-XL w/ the TrailMaster Sport on my Wraith. I'm running the 32p w/ 54t spur and 9t pinion. It gets hot as hell! I melted off the HH sticker on the motor on Saturday. Still runs like a champ. I've run the damn motor at least 3 times in the last week burning through three 3s lipo packs each time. No prob. Do like JohnRobHolmes says and burn through the damn thing! Water cooled motors FTW!
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
With a little bit of sanding the cover will fit over a 60t.
Is the spur cover same as the one in SCx-10? I thought they are the same, the scx10 cover will fit over 48P 87T spur...

edited: nevermind, you are talking about 32P spur.....
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I checked out my drivetrain and the axles spin completely free. My trans feels like it has a little bit of resistance. It's running RR steel idler and lower gear. I opened up the trans to check it out and found nothing out of the ordinary. After reassembling the trans it feels the same. I made sure not to over tighten the case scews. Also re checked the pinion/spur gap and it is not binding at all.

Oh well! Guess i'll just run it hard and keep a spare on hand. I did just put some weight in my wheels so I'm not expecting it to last to long.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I too had heat issues until I installed a BEC and geared properly at 84/18,48P plus I changed my driving style from constantly bashing and running hot laps. Now I just cruise around at my little rock garden and my temps seem very cool now. I started out driving my wraith like my savage nitro and I was frying stock axial motors 3 in fact. but good luck man.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post
I too had heat issues until I installed a BEC and geared properly at 84/18,48P plus I changed my driving style from constantly bashing and running hot laps. Now I just cruise around at my little rock garden and my temps seem very cool now. I started out driving my wraith like my savage nitro and I was frying stock axial motors 3 in fact. but good luck man.
Where's the fun in driving like an grandpa???
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post
I'm surprised it stays cool with that gearing. That's still pretty tall.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
I'm surprised it stays cool with that gearing. That's still pretty tall.
Yea it seems to be a little steep its still getting warm just takes longer now. LOL
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Took my rig out for the first time. Seemed to be ok on the trail but when doing some slow steep crawling the motor started smelling like a burnt turd. Definetly going to put the 9t pinion in next time I open it up and maybe try a larger spur also.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i ran 80/20 on my trailmaster sport lol burnt through it pretty quickly, but had fun doing it!
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I am happy to report that after swapping to a 9t pinion I did a long and hard crawl up Makapu'u trail. This is a local hike about 1/2 long. Nearly the whole trail is pretty hard crawling. The motor didn't seem to get nearly as hot and I got no funny smells.

So IMO the Wraith is happy with the HH Trail Master SPORT on 3s lipos with a 1/5.6 rear ratio for trail running and a 1/6.2+ ratio for slow crawling.

In a scx10 or 1.9 rig I.d guess that you could gear a little bit higher. Probably 1/5 for trail and 1/5.6 for crawling.

Last edited by cox308; 09-13-2013 at 09:55 PM.

HH Trail Master Sport getting hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HH Trail Master Sport--capacitor question X2 KC5H Redcat Crawlers 4 07-14-2013 08:27 PM
can i use a Trail Master axels? mr_svensson Newbie General 2 01-26-2006 07:21 PM
Tamiya Trail Master DirkDigler General Crawlers 4 11-11-2004 10:19 PM
tamiya trail master iwantoffroad General Crawlers 20 10-19-2004 06:18 PM