Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Revolver S 540

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Holmes Revolver S 540

Does anybody run this motor? I'm thinking about runin this in either my wraith or my LNC.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Holmes Revolver S 540

Does no one run this? Johnrobholmes have you tested it? If so what's it like?
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I believe JRH tests all his stuff to the highest standards. I have not run one of these, but the go to motor in a wraith, IMO, has been a tekin pro4.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

What would be the best esc to run with the holmes torquemonster S 540?
hiluxscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The new revolver is a sensored out runner. I run one geared 10:1 on my 15lbs CXT. Tons of torque, even not geared way day. I think there is like 3 miles of wire in these motors! It would be a cool motor in a wraith. I have a new 2.2 build and it will go in that rig.

Szczerba's 2.2 CXT

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Mamba Max Pro is easiest to set up for them.

I love running the 540 size in the wraith, or any other rig for that matter. You can gear it anywhere you want without overheating the motor, the battery and ESC will be the choke point of power and heat creation. The only reasons I remove the Revolver S from my rig is to test another motor. Then back it goes, by far my favorite motor. It has extremely smooth startup along with the highest torque to weight ratio and drag strength available. The only downside is that when the rig starts getting bound up the motor won't slow down as much as other motors, thus they will break parts if you drive it without being careful. Maybe that is an upside, they produce a LOT of torque.

We haven't sold a lot of the Revolver S to crawlers, maybe 50 motors total. I haven't been pushing the advertising of them being in production and most people are thrown off by the concept of a sensored outrunner. We sell and engineer more sensored outrunners into the robotics and UAV community right now, typically drive motors and stabilizer motor. They are also used for actuation in replacement of stepper motors because of the higher efficiency and excellent torque density. The Revolver S has been put through rigors much more demanding than just crawling, but since I'm a crawler at heart that is what I designed it for.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Mamba Max Pro is easiest to set up for them.

I love running the 540 size in the wraith, or any other rig for that matter. You can gear it anywhere you want without overheating the motor, the battery and ESC will be the choke point of power and heat creation. The only reasons I remove the Revolver S from my rig is to test another motor. Then back it goes, by far my favorite motor. It has extremely smooth startup along with the highest torque to weight ratio and drag strength available. The only downside is that when the rig starts getting bound up the motor won't slow down as much as other motors, thus they will break parts if you drive it without being careful. Maybe that is an upside, they produce a LOT of torque.

We haven't sold a lot of the Revolver S to crawlers, maybe 50 motors total. I haven't been pushing the advertising of them being in production and most people are thrown off by the concept of a sensored outrunner. We sell and engineer more sensored outrunners into the robotics and UAV community right now, typically drive motors and stabilizer motor. They are also used for actuation in replacement of stepper motors because of the higher efficiency and excellent torque density. The Revolver S has been put through rigors much more demanding than just crawling, but since I'm a crawler at heart that is what I designed it for.
X2

It has more than impressed me on the 15lbs rig. Once I figured out I needed 10:1 gearing at the spur/pinion, she had plenty of low end torque to pull the 15lbs up anything and tops out at a decent walking pace.

It will be going in a new 2.2 build.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

And you have an old version that is lower in torque as compared to the production version.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I finally got to run mine yesterday and yeah it is impressive. Noticed that it took alot to bog it down, where bouncing around on a locked drivetrain would bog other motors down upon gaining traction.. the revolver s just kept spinning.

And the temps, cooler than it was outside on a ~9lb scaler running an axial drivetrain geared 5.45:1
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes Revolver S 540 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Revolver Help Needed yeahright Electronics 1 06-28-2010 01:34 AM
Holmes Hobbies RevolveR 2 Givaway! JohnRobHolmes Electronics 99 12-25-2006 11:09 PM