Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: so pissed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default so pissed

Well I have an interesting story to tell. I hope someone can learn from this lesson. I made the same mistake twice in 2 different ways with 2 Tekin FXR's.

I bought one last week and wired it all up good. I was not paying attention and I put my deans connector on backwards. I didn't catch it right away. My whole system went up in smoke and my ground wire that runs to the receiver melted. I sent it back to Tekin and they were great enough to send me a new one free of charge. I didn't even have to pay shipping!

I received my new one today. I took my damn time and spent over an hour planning and getting everything wired up. Well, I made a different mistake this time. I didnt realize it but I took my red wire and soldered it to the negative battery post and black wire to positive. When I was all done, I had to put my deans connector on. Well I thought it was all correct. I soldered the deans on (red with positive and black with negative) and then my negative post started to smoke just a tiny bit. I then realized that i mixed my wires up! This was one of my best soldering jobs in a while too. I immediately disconnected the battery and fixed my mistake.

My FXR will not power up and the LED lights are very dim when I flip the switch. I decided to not send this in for warranty/repairs due to my own frustration. I didn't want to explain that I did the same damn thing over again. In the end, I ordered a Holmes Hobby BR XL waterproof ESC direct from Holmes and I paid them an extra $5 to put the damn deans connector on for me.

I know how to solder and I have soldered multiple ESC's. I dont know why this one was so difficult for me! I think the universe was hinting I shouldn't use it because I was interested in taking my SCX10 into mud and wading into water (after I waterproof everything else). So maybe all this happened for a reason? Meh.

In the end, I hope someone learns from my retarded mistake (twice!!!!). The Tekin instructions even said to make sure I do not reverse the damn wires and i really thought I had it correct.

I will chalk this up as lesson learned and at least I still have the 35T HD motor I can use with the Holmes ESC.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Default Re: so pissed

Yep i would be pretty pissed as well......i bet you dont do that again
icrawl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ok let me add to this thread. I stepped back and tried to troubleshoot. When I unplugged the throttle wire to the receiver, it works fine. I screwed with it and made sure it was seated and it is powering and working fine now? I am officially freaked out. It is like it rose from the dead and decided to work.

I am going to see if i can cancel my order for the Holmes and just order a castle BEC.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Guess it says a lot about checking and re checking before plugging in.

I have a jig that eliminates this, its not 100% you have to be paying attention.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

We've all done this. Or close to it. For me, it's hurrying the solder job cuz it's 2am, & i just wanna power it up before hitting the sack.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Suck it up!

I once plugged my battery in backwards right before a race. Major suckage. Luckily all I did was blow the caps and not the entire esc...or anything else.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Electronics is my fear, I don't like messing with it. I rather pay somebody to do it for me.
blackcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Pay me pay me!
Fletch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobby was awesome enough to cancel my order for their ESC. I will definitely buy one from them later on. My FXR is running great right now. I found out the culprit. Apparently, my ground pin on the throttle wire was loose. The locking tang that holds it in place broke. I dont know if I did this on accident (on my part) or it was shipped to me broken but I managed to make it stay in place and the FXR works flawlessly now.

I did discover that my FXR does not like to be ran in parallel with a winch! If I want to run a winch, I will need to get another battery to use it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Guess it says a lot about checking and re checking before plugging in.

I have a jig that eliminates this, its not 100% you have to be paying attention.
Hey Joker,

Where'd you get the jig? Got any pics?
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
I did discover that my FXR does not like to be ran in parallel with a winch! If I want to run a winch, I will need to get another battery to use it.
Got a bec?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Got a bec?
That is on my list of purchase. When I ran in parallel on my old ae2, I had zero issues.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I had the reverse issue once with a BEC, I got the smoke puff of death. It was one of those up all night jobs before a comp, fortunately I had a spare on hand...
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

In the 70's, when I started in RC, Dean's plugs were not polarized. It was easy to solder - to + and vise versa. I stopped using them then because I made a couple of soldering mistakes. I use Traxxas plugs now. I know you feel bad but we've all been there.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote

so pissed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Im getting pissed! bignick3674 Electronics 7 03-24-2011 11:33 AM
Pissed! 2JSC Chit Chat 7 06-04-2010 11:55 AM
I am PISSED! HarleyDan Electronics 31 12-29-2008 04:49 PM