RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Dual Sidewinder Micros or Mamba Micros ? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/462785-dual-sidewinder-micros-mamba-micros.html)

jaloos 09-21-2013 07:40 AM

Dual Sidewinder Micros or Mamba Micros ?

Looking for a duel esc setup for my XR10 and wondering what the consensus is on either of these. Aside from the case and heat sink on the Mamba micro whats the difference in the 2?

Charlie-III 09-21-2013 07:52 AM

Re: Dual Sidewinder Micros or Mamba Micros ?

I would recommend (and use) dual Sidewinder Micros. I run 3S LiPO & good 35T motors on these ESC's.
The heat sinks take up room and are not really needed in a MOA, thus the Mamba Micro Pros will work fine, they're not needed.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 09-21-2013 08:00 AM

Ditto...
Same as above..^

jaloos 09-21-2013 08:05 AM

Thanks guys pretty much figured that was going to be the general consensus on the matter.

How is the dragbrake on these as compared to a dual FXR setup?

My option here to stay on some form of budget is a set of used FXR's or a new set of the sidewinder micros.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 09-21-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaloos (Post 4485575)
Thanks guys pretty much figured that was going to be the general consensus on the matter.

How is the dragbrake on these as compared to a dual FXR setup?

My option here to stay on some form of budget is a set of used FXR's or a new set of the sidewinder micros.

never used fxr's so i cant comment.

but the Sidewinder micro's Dragbrake hold just fine imo.

if you really want a HOLD on the dragbrake..get the new HH micro esc's.

Zombie 09-21-2013 08:19 AM

jaloos: I have had NO LUCK with my sidewinder micro. It will not cal,with my throttle on the gt3b. Castel will not even talk to me about it because I have an "off brand" TX. don't wast your money. I'm not the only one with that problem, a couple of guys at the last comp said they had the same trouble on their tx.

Calderwood 09-21-2013 08:19 AM

I run 3s, sidewinder micros an handwound 35t motors as well. It's a solid setup.

Edit after reading the above comment: I run a 4pl.

jaloos 09-21-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4485578)
never used fxr's so i cant comment.

but the Sidewinder micro's Dragbrake hold just fine imo.

if you really want a HOLD on the dragbrake..get the new HH micro esc's.

I was expecting someone to throw those into the mix at some point.

As I said earlier I am on a budget and living in Canada so by the time I shell out the 70 bucks a pop for the Holmes goodies I have to add the exchange and taxes and duty on these. That brings the total to near 200 bucks.

Although they are only 20 bucks a pop extra this all adds up when converting the exchange, taxes and duties.

I respect all your opinions and for me if you guys say the sidewinder are the chit then thats more than good enough for me.

jaloos 09-21-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 4485586)
jaloos: I have had NO LUCK with my sidewinder micro. It will not cal,with my throttle on the gt3b. Castel will not even talk to me about it because I have an "off brand" TX. don't wast your money. I'm not the only one with that problem, a couple of guys at the last comp said they had the same trouble on their tx.

Is this a known issue?

I am running a hacked GT3C.

mammoth 09-21-2013 08:29 AM

I run the micro sidewinders with 35t hand wound brood motors. Better start up then the fxr and better drag brake. I also run a 4pl.
I hear ya on the br minis but they are the best option. They will be cheaper then new fxrs so imho I would spend the little extra to get the best esc you can

jaloos 09-21-2013 08:36 AM

I would jump all over the Holmes units if I had a discount code LOL.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 09-21-2013 09:16 AM

I run a 4pl as well...

ive messed with the flysky's...not impressed.
ive seen more problems from those radio's personally than any other.

jaloos 09-21-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4485618)
I run a 4pl as well...

ive messed with the flysky's...not impressed.
ive seen more problems from those radio's personally than any other.

I know of 5 people with the FlySky's that I have hacked and programmed and so far there have been no issues. They aren't the easiest to program as the interface is limited so understanding it is a bit of a learning experience. One has to expect some problems with those being they are sub 50 buck radios LOL. That being said I don't comp with my stuff, I would if it were not a 6 hour drive to do so though. I fully expect to upgrade at some point should I get more serious than a few guys out on the rocks.

Charlie-III 09-21-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 4485578)
never used FX-R's so I can't comment.

But the Sidewinder micro's Dragbrake hold just fine IMO.

If you really want a HOLD on the dragbrake..get the new HH micro ESC's.

I have run both (CC & FX-R's), I like the CC's a little better.
I DO have the new HH Mini's though, just need to install & try out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 4485586)
jaloos: I have had NO LUCK with my sidewinder micro. It will not cal, with my throttle, on the GT3B. Castle will not even talk to me about it because I have an "off brand" TX. Don't waste your money. I'm not the only one with that problem, a couple of guys at the last comp said they had the same trouble on their TX.

My dual Sidewinders are on a hacked GT3B, no issues in ~1.5 years.8)
[Sorry to have missed you @ Palmerton Zombie, looked like a great day....]

jaloos 09-21-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4485639)
I have run both (CC & FX-R's), I like the CC's a little better.
I DO have the new HH Mini's though, just need to install & try out.

My dual Sidewinders are on a hacked GT3B, no issues in ~1.5 years.8)

Good to know thanks.

Planning on selling the cc's LOL.

Charlie-III 09-21-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaloos (Post 4485641)
Good to know thanks.

Planning on selling the cc's LOL.

Selling the Sidewinder Micros???....maybe. I usually don't sell something unless I hate it. Otherwise, it's, "Spares for current rigs, or parts for new rigs."

Just saying.;-)8)

PS, I DID sell off a M2dig I had from a roller I bought. That ESC I hated.:roll:

jaloos 09-21-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4485647)
Selling the Sidewinder Micros???....maybe. I usually don't sell something unless I hate it. Otherwise, it's, "Spares for current rigs, or parts for new rigs."

Just saying.;-)8)

PS, I DID sell off a M2dig I had from a roller I bought. That ESC I hated.:roll:

I hear with the spare parts thing, I too am guilty of hording parts LOL.

20 years ago when I was running RC10 stuff allot I used some Novak stuff but switched to Tekin when the 410K was introduced (wow thats showing my age a bit). Since getting back into the hobby 20 years later I have heard nothing great concerning Novak esp the M2Dig and have stayed away from their stuff.

SINister 09-22-2013 12:51 PM

Most but not all issues calibrating the swm come from the firmware version that's used. Never use the beta versions and sometimes just changing the firmware to a different version new or old will get you going. The older versions seem to work better though.

Charlie-III 09-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINister (Post 4486860)
Most but not all issues calibrating the swm come from the firmware version that's used. Never use the beta versions and sometimes just changing the firmware to a different version new or old will get you going. The older versions seem to work better though.

+1.

I prefer the 1.28 version..."thumbsup""thumbsup"
Some newer versions seem to do OK, but I stick to what works.

Colgout 09-23-2013 09:56 AM

I also use MSW and 4PL pair with Brood custom arm and Orion cans. No problem with me and the size is great. I smashed 2 MSW, BEC and the RX in the same area where only the 2 FXR (also smashed) fit.

I have problem programming the FXR using hot wire, but never had problem with the castle. MSW has better drag brake for sure, I think both MSW and FXR start just as smooth.