Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: thoughts on my problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default thoughts on my problem

ok, so i was out with my son this morning. with our upcoming g6 near i wanted to get in some water again and make sure my stuff is good... here's my setup.. hh wp brxl, 35t hh sportmaster motor, cc 10a bec ( red wire unplugged from esc) , 4pl/rx... i waterproofed the rx and it's been fine, and the esc is the wp version.. the bec wasn't waterproofed ( i know that's a pretty dumb move) i had my 1800mah 3s lipo hooked up... my bec is set at 6.5v.. while playing i went in and out of the creek with no issues, and then down a trail to some rocks. i was on the rocks for about 10-12 minutes when i seen a small puff of smoke come rolling out of my cab windows... i took the body off and the smoke was gone.. esc looked/smelled fine, motor smelled fine... bec had a small hole burnt thru the blue covering, and smelled slightly burnt.. so i unplug everything, and unhook the bec from the rx.. i plugged the red wire from the esc back into the rx and plugged my pack back in and got nothing..no chimes, no lights..nothing at all.. i came home and tried plugging into the castle link.. my bec will show the green light inside, but the software doesn't recognize it being plugged in.. i understand the bec is prbably no good... but the esc doesn't power up with the link either nor does the software recognize it... this is what i'm not understanding.. it is the wp version, and it worked the last time i hooked up the link.. but after the bec getting wet and frying ( i believe) my esc is now not working at all ??? i have an ae-2 (no bec) that i wired up and everything works as it should on the truck.. but the holmes wp brxl isn't working at all anymore...what might it be? i have emailed John about looking at it for me..

here's a pic of the bec..

and i took the cover off the esc..

Last edited by mjc597; 09-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: thoughts on my problem

First, just a double check that you didn't have both the red wire from the BEC and the ESC plugged into the receiver at the same time.

How long/hard had you been running you rig before going into the water?

A hot ESC hitting cold water could cause solder joints to break or components to fail.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i def had the red wire off the esc, i make sure i do that when i solder the bec's up to my esc's... i only ran it for about 2-3 minutes before going into the creek..unloaded from the car and headed down the trail...the esc wasn't even warm when i checked after the smoke i saw.. my temps have been pretty low on it, and my gearing is 14/87..
Old 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Maybe start with rebinding the tx/rx?

Then plug everything in like you would to run the rig and see how if the esc works? maybe you didnt' have a good connection on the red wire(esc) to the rx?

Not sure why the link wouldn't see it though.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah I'm not getting anything out of the esc...I've tried my wife's fxr and my sons sv3 with my rx and all works fine. But the brxl seems to be dead....arghhhhhh.....
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's possible when the BEC went, it took out the ESC (not likely.... but....).

Just for grins, try to recalibrate the ESC to the RX.

Also double check power connections from the battery to the ESC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That's just it, the esc does absolutely nothing at all when a battery is plugged into it..it won't even power on my receiver..no way to recalibrate it because it won't even power up...it's got me puzzled..I can see the bec going out becuase I didn't waterproof it or anything...bt I can't understand why the esc has stopped doing anything at all...

Last edited by mjc597; 09-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

What could've happened is when the BEC shorted and fried there was enough of a spike that it transferred through the RX to the ESC and fried the controller board which is why it is now dead and not responding to anything.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

bad switch on the esc?

forgot no switch on the brxl

Last edited by envious8420; 09-27-2013 at 06:48 PM.
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote

thoughts on my problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any thoughts jboehler04 Redcat Crawlers 3 08-25-2013 08:15 AM
thoughts griz Axial Wraith 20 03-21-2012 12:30 PM
Problem with Tekin RS system in my LCC, will a BEC fix my problem? rcboy514 Electronics 3 01-12-2012 05:55 PM
Thoughts on this. redemon Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 54 10-17-2011 01:00 AM
Little bit of a problem, Possibly big problem... C_Money Electronics 11 03-08-2010 05:49 PM