Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: This is an odd question about a motor/battery that I think you guys can help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

Default This is an odd question about a motor/battery that I think you guys can help

Some background. I am a MBA business student and I have a non-RC related business idea that I think has potential. Well, why the hell am I asking in an RC forum? Because you guys know a lot about electronic motors and batteries.
I would rather not share my idea at this point but I am hoping that you could at least point me in the right direction.

I need an electronic motor and battery type that meets the following criteria. At this point, cost and size are not much of an issue.

1. Able to withstand a beating. and I mean a consistent, fairly severe beating
2. Long lasting, non-memory forming battery that can take long term freezing temperatures.
3. The motor would be need to be high torque. and I mean high torque. With the right gearing being able to move 100+ pounds at a walking pace.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

I have posted this same question on a couple forums so if it looks familiar that is why
Icicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: This is an odd question about a motor/battery that I think you guys can help

For motors, I would contact John Holmes @ Holmes Hobbies, he does industrial stuff as well as RC crawlers. He either has something you can use, or, he can design/build something.

Tell him "Charlie-III" sent you,

As to batteries, lead acid is one choice, LiFE is likely another. Most battery chemistries will drop off in performance due to cold. Using a little battery power to run a small heater in an insulated enclosure (that contains the battery) may be useful. Even if it's just a low wattage light bulb with a low voltage cutoff.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Default Re: This is an odd question about a motor/battery that I think you guys can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
For motors, I would contact John Holmes @ Holmes Hobbies, he does industrial stuff as well as RC crawlers. He either has something you can use, or, he can design/build something.

Tell him "Charlie-III" sent you,

As to batteries, lead acid is one choice, LiFE is likely another. Most battery chemistries will drop off in performance due to cold. Using a little battery power to run a small heater in an insulated enclosure (that contains the battery) may be useful. Even if it's just a low wattage light bulb with a low voltage cutoff.
Would the best way to contact him be directly through his website?

and was just recently turned onto the idea of a battery warmer. I think that no matter what battery I find, a warmer would be a cheap way to lengthen the life.
Icicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Something that is going to play a factor in your motor and battery selection is the space you are needing it to fit in. Off the top of my head for motors i'd say the best bet would be wheel chair motors cause they have gearboxes already attached and are rated for around 250-300lbs usually. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Robot Parts & Electronics - Build a Robot with The Robot MarketPlace has a lot of stuff that might help you in your idea and also contains a lot of info that may help also. Hope this helps some.
T_0_N_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icicle View Post
Would the best way to contact him be directly through his website?

and was just recently turned onto the idea of a battery warmer. I think that no matter what battery I find, a warmer would be a cheap way to lengthen the life.
You can try through his site, or through here. I would start with his website though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

This is an odd question about a motor/battery that I think you guys can help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor- battery - esc QUESTION yoraish Electronics 0 09-12-2013 02:23 PM
Odd Motor Problem Super Fabrication Electronics 4 07-07-2013 06:59 PM
Odd Battery Wiring Question RickM Electronics 1 12-22-2010 06:20 PM
Battery and Motor question Crawlerguy851 Electronics 3 06-12-2007 08:27 PM