Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Think I messed up in my ESC choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Unhappy Think I messed up in my ESC choice

Greetings everyone, before I begin I just wanted to mention that I browsed the Electronics section of the forum and really didn't find any answers to my question. I'm really rather new to the whole RC scaler/crawler scene. I see that you call these people noobs? I guess if the shoo fits lol! I used to build and race cars when I was much younger and they used mechanical SC's lol! They're considered vintage now. Anyway, I think I may have bought the wrong ESC/motor combo and wanted to get your opinion on what I should do. I ended up with the SCT410 Castle Creations 1/10 Sidewinder Short Course Esc which I think is more for high speed trucks verses my Trailfinder2. I'll be running a 2S lipo battery (although I do have a 3s) I want to keep from melting anything or catching it on fire as I've put a bit of money into it. So I'm looking for advice. Can I keep this ESC, or should I go with Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder ESC 1/10 Water Proof w/ 6900kv Motor Combo? Any and all advice is really appreciated. I apologize about the lengthy post.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Think I messed up in my ESC choice

way too much power, I like the esc choice but you probably just want to pick up a tekin fxr ( I haven't had one personally but I aim for it) and a 35t to 55t brushed motor, you can still use lipos but from what I can't tell a trail finder isn't meant to go that fast? I have a tekin 6.5t (6700kv) redline and a momba max pro. on my short course truck and it tops out 55+ easy. I heard of people using brushless but aim for 2000kv or less, and sensored so you can have good low rpm control.
fitisbamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks so much for your input! I only decided on brushless as I heard water and mud will really tear up a brushed motor, but truth be told I don't plan on going that nuts with it. I'll likely keep the ESC and go with a brushed motor as you suggested. I truly wasn't too sure you could run a brushed motor with Lipo's until now.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

its actually brushless you need to be careful with water.brushed work in water just fine,although mud will prematurely wear on the brushes.make sure to set the esc to brushed .you will need a castle link to do this im pretty sure.i have a 55t with a sidewinder 3 and it is still pretty fast for my cc01
seaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Ah ok... didn't know about converting the ESC, I'm really thankful for the info. guys! I guess I'll need to buy the castle link now too . The truck will likely see it's fair share of puddles, but no "Youtube" submerges in the rivers lol!

Last edited by tokdl; 10-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

most nice hobby shops will help you program it normally for free. And while they are make sure you set up drag brakes, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Ah ok... didn't know about converting the ESC, I'm really thankful for the info. guys! I guess I'll need to buy the castle link now too . The truck will likely see it's fair share of puddles, but no "Youtube" submerges in the rivers lol!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitisbamg View Post
most nice hobby shops will help you program it normally for free. And while they are make sure you set up drag brakes, ect.
That's a good idea about the hobby shop, I hadn't considered that. I went ahead and ordered the Castle link though. I figured I'd have to learn how to do it sooner or later. Plus I'm anxious to know how to tune it any way . I understand the concept of the drag break, but I'm thinking this will probably be the trickiest part of configuring everything.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It is possible to program many things in a Castle ESC using just the radio.
More of a PITA and not 100%, but a lot is doable.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Don't worry about a brushed motor and water. When I was running 1/12, and 1/10th scale on road cars I used to break my motors in in a glass of water. My slot car motors too. Just be sure to clean them well if dirty water gets inside.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks big time guys! I think I may stick with the SC that I ordered and go with a brushed 35T motor. I'll be using a 2C Lipo. I noticed that the ESC and the motor come with a fan attached. Is there really a need for me to attach the fan to the brushed motor now? Or will it just be an unnecessary drain of power if I do so?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

No need for the fan on 3S (or less) with a 35T motor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input! I only decided on brushless as I heard water and mud will really tear up a brushed motor, but truth be told I don't plan on going that nuts with it. I'll likely keep the ESC and go with a brushed motor as you suggested. I truly wasn't too sure you could run a brushed motor with Lipo's until now.
Yur backwards! Brushed is water friendly. BTW get the sidewinder SV3 WITHOUT brushless. I run the SV3 with an rc4wd 35 turn motor. plenty of torque and speed.
Dmillsaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'm really glad you guys set me straight, obviously I got the motor choices wrong. I'm deff. going with a 35t brushed motor. Can I still use the SCT410 ESC? Someone mentioned that it wasn't a bad choice. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to keep from my truck going up in flames ;)

Once again, thanks for all your help!

Last edited by THX_138; 10-16-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'm really glad you guys set me straight, obviously I got the motor choices wrong. I'm deff. going with a 35t brushed motor. Can I still use the SCT410 ESC? Someone mentioned that it wasn't a bad choice. Sorry about all the questions, I just want to keep from my truck going up in flames ;)
only some brushless esc will run brushed as well so check the instructions, if not call in and ask?

Think I messed up in my ESC choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC choice hibbs Electronics 2 01-27-2012 03:45 PM
Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo fivepointnine98 Newbie General 10 07-05-2011 03:21 PM
esc choice beaven Newbie General 10 08-28-2010 11:14 AM
esc choice tas basher Electronics 0 10-08-2008 03:23 AM
help with esc choice rider12693 Electronics 3 09-24-2008 08:17 PM