Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ae2 waterproofing the on off switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ae2 waterproofing the on off switch?

For sometime I used the balloon method and it worked well without a doubt. But notice while I trail through the woods sharp sticks tend to get caught up and its only a matter of time before one pokes a hole in my balloon and wouldnt know till it stops in the river. So I had to take the esc out and noticed the balloon was getting worn and actually had some tiny holes worn in the edges,so I sprayed it down with some coats of plastidip. Sprayed the board and put it back in its case with some sealant around the case,but im wondering about the on off switch? I didnt really see how to take it apart,and couldnt spray it. I didnt want to force it out,so I figure I'll ask what should be done with these? If I could pop it out I would just fill it with di-electric grease and pop it back in,that should be ok,or can it just get wet?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: ae2 waterproofing the on off switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
For sometime I used the balloon method and it worked well without a doubt. But notice while I trail through the woods sharp sticks tend to get caught up and its only a matter of time before one pokes a hole in my balloon and wouldnt know till it stops in the river. So I had to take the esc out and noticed the balloon was getting worn and actually had some tiny holes worn in the edges,so I sprayed it down with some coats of plastidip. Sprayed the board and put it back in its case with some sealant around the case,but im wondering about the on off switch? I didnt really see how to take it apart,and couldnt spray it. I didnt want to force it out,so I figure I'll ask what should be done with these? If I could pop it out I would just fill it with di-electric grease and pop it back in,that should be ok,or can it just get wet?
If u look on the back I think u unbend a metal tab and the switch comes out I did it on my fxr and packed it with dielectric grease then put it back together and taped the switch part and plasti dip the rest and has yet to have a problem
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ae2 waterproofing the on off switch?

Cut it of, slide some heat shrink on and solder the wires together, then slide the heat shrink over the join and shrink in place. Or use liquid electrical tape instead of heat shrink.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
Cut it of, slide some heat shrink on and solder the wires together, then slide the heat shrink over the join and shrink in place. Or use liquid electrical tape instead of heat shrink.

X2
I remove the on / off switch on all of my scalers and comp trucks, its one less mechanical problem that can occur.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

X3

I don't have any on/off switches...
Cut that thing off lol

I do it to make sure I don't forget to unplug battery's and it usually is always in my dang way...
Snip snip & twist
Slide heat shrink and apply heat.... No more worries
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
jpf
Quarry Creeper

Default ae2 waterproofing the on off switch?

the on/off switch, you dont need to think about it.... it's suposed to "short circiut" when it's on... when off, it's off. It is like this: on: 2 cables are connected! off: 2 cables are NOT connected

... JP using Tapatalk
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

x4 Switches get chopped as they come out of the box before going into any rig of mine. One less thing to fail.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I guess its settled then! It gets the Chop! Thanks Guys!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

like others have said cut the switch off and solder the wires together and heat shrink it. so pluggin the battery in is the on/off switch.

Also If I were you I would peal the platis dip off your electronics and use silicone conformal coating from MG chemicals. The plasti dip will crack really easily around moving wires and let water in and fry your stuff. The conformal coating is made for electronic boards, ive used it on receivers, speed controllers, servo boards, sensor boards on brushless motors without fail and ive also sent in electronics for warranty with conformal coating on them and never had any questions asked.

Last edited by WAFFLE; 10-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

That MG chemical stuff,can you buy it anywhere local,,or is that something that would have to be ordered?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
That MG chemical stuff,can you buy it anywhere local,,or is that something that would have to be ordered?
I got mine at a local place called JB Saunders, its an small electrical supply company for like PCBs. You can easily find it online too.

This is exactly what I use:
MG chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating (422A) part#: 422-55ML, which is a 55ml, liquid, brush on application.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I had the problem with my switch not making connection completely and losing some but not all power. My fix is switch chopped out. I use liquid elect tape on my electronics for waterproofing and have yet to have s problem.
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ditch the Switch !
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well I just took the crap solder job someone did off mine and redid the switch... Now back to the table to take the switch back off ... ;)
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote

ae2 waterproofing the on off switch? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light Switch for Your Scaler - Firmtronics RC Switch Review roktoy Electronics 29 09-15-2015 02:37 PM
AE2 ESC to Receiver wire/cable polarity & AE2 ESC switch position. Tread Well Newbie General 7 06-18-2013 02:14 PM
Waterproofing the switch? Prime Electronics 7 03-18-2007 03:09 AM