Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is this from the lack of a BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is this from the lack of a BEC?

I was just mocking up a few things on my wraith and just threw in my ESC that I plan on running "Its a older version Castle Sidewinder" Im running stock 20t wraith motor, 222oz savox servo,stock radio gear. When I turn at a stand still it glitches and kinda jumps around,and even sometimes underway. I have and am going to run a BEC,like I said im just mocking things up and just want to see if this sounds like thats the problem? The esc seems to work fine in another car before I took it out,and servo was fine before this swap.
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Is this from the lack of a BEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
I was just mocking up a few things on my wraith and just threw in my ESC that I plan on running "Its a older version Castle Sidewinder" Im running stock 20t wraith motor, 222oz savox servo,stock radio gear. When I turn at a stand still it glitches and kinda jumps around,and even sometimes underway. I have and am going to run a BEC,like I said im just mocking things up and just want to see if this sounds like thats the problem? The esc seems to work fine in another car before I took it out,and servo was fine before this swap.

I was told that a mg645 servo which has more power then yours still isn't strong enough you need a servo with like 400+oz.in. Tq
fitisbamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yea more power the better,but this works fine for my trail rides. But the strength of the servo isnt the issue here, im wondering why it causes a glitch in the esc when im turning hard at a stand still.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would have to guess a lack of power. The wheels are hardest to turn when the rig is standing still esp on carpet, very high traction on the tires.

Slap in the bec and give it a go. Pretty sure that will cure the problem.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
Yea more power the better,but this works fine for my trail rides. But the strength of the servo isnt the issue here, im wondering why it causes a glitch in the esc when im turning hard at a stand still.

oh ok I miss understood your post, hold your rig in the air turn the radio to the sides where it seems to glitch, does the car seem to have a variation in rpms? back off the wheel till it seems to not change speed. If it stops the speed variation then your binding your drive shafts. If it seems to change rpms still its probably your esc, recently my ae-1 started to do what you are explaining. But see if your esc in another rig will work.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Savox servos are very power hungry. Without the bec its starving for more and causing the glitch. Add the bec and all should be good.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Savox servos are very power hungry. Without the bec its starving for more and causing the glitch. Add the bec and all should be good.

I was out crawling for like 1 1/2hrs one day, and my stock esc seems to have burt out its internals out even with a weak servo not hooked to anything causes my motor to glitch, even when its not installed. So its gone:/ but I'm probably going to buy the mtronicks rock c, its got a decent internal bec, and is waterproof so when I plasti-dip that I'll feel better about actually being waterproof!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitisbamg View Post
I was out crawling for like 1 1/2hrs one day, and my stock esc seems to have burt out its internals out even with a weak servo not hooked to anything causes my motor to glitch, even when its not installed. So its gone:/ but I'm probably going to buy the mtronicks rock c, its got a decent internal bec, and is waterproof so when I plasti-dip that I'll feel better about actually being waterproof!
How much is the MTronics ESC? If you're running a brushed motor, I would suggest a Holmes Hobbies waterproof BR-XL.
Up to 6S LiPO, great drag brake, crawler designed, instant reverse, programmable via TX (some things) or Castle Link, has a decent internal BEC, runs very low turn motors & is waterproof.
It won't do brushless though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
How much is the MTronics ESC? If you're running a brushed motor, I would suggest a Holmes Hobbies waterproof BR-XL.
Up to 6S LiPO, great drag brake, crawler designed, instant reverse, programmable via TX (some things) or Castle Link, has a decent internal BEC, runs very low turn motors & is waterproof.
It won't do brushless though.

I think the mtronics is like 40$, and I don't go higher then 2s, I just don't have a need. I use anywhere from a 35t to 55t. The mtronics is programable and has a 6v 5a internal bec.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think the mtronics is like 40$, and I don't go higher then 2s, I just don't have a need. I use anywhere from a 35t to 55t. The mtronics is programable and has a 6v 5a internal bec.
Save yourself the hassle and get a bec. Dosen't matter what esc you pick once you hit the 200oz the internal bec has a hard time keeping up. For the $ it costs it could save you in the long run!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Save yourself the hassle and get a bec. Dosen't matter what esc you pick once you hit the 200oz the internal bec has a hard time keeping up. For the $ it costs it could save you in the long run!!!

either way I wanna try out that esc, I will also be getting a bec and a 500oz servo
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yea it Needed the BEC,I soldered it on and plugged it up and that problem went away I was just unsure since I havent used this esc and servo together,not to mention havent used this esc in a long time,wasnt sure if the esc was bad or what. But its all good now,Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

+1 here!

Castle ESCs have notoriously weak internal BEC and have issues working with the super hungry Savox servos. I learned this first hand on my EXO and had to replace the servo with a hitec since I couldnt afford an external BEC at the time.

Spoke to Castle technicians and they confirmed this for me. This was last year, if you have an older one, I would speculate this matchup is the issue...

According to the experts, an external BEC will fix your problem. But then again, if you're running a 200oz servo you should have one anyway, as already mentioned.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If you have a high power demand servo (high torque)...
you should also get the CC link and bump the BEC's voltage up.
Think it comes set default at 5.0v.... but goes up to 7.5v
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was told that a mg645 servo which has more power then yours still isn't strong enough you need a servo with like 400+oz.in. Tq
Just an fyi, the 645mg has way less than 222oz. The 645 only has 133oz at 6v.

And yes. Anything over 200oz or any saxox over 150 needs a bec or it can cause issues.

Last edited by crawler nut; 10-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Just an fyi, the 645mg has way less than 222oz. The 645 only has 133oz at 6v.

And yes. Anything over 200oz or any saxox over 150 needs a bec or it can cause issues.
ya my bad i was thinking of my solar servo sorry

Is this from the lack of a BEC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with lack of power when bound... Perkolator Axial SCX-10 11 05-03-2012 03:09 PM
Traction................well lack of it really! vodka child Newbie General 17 04-09-2010 08:08 AM
LCC lack of droop RyansRubicon.co Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 03-12-2010 04:25 PM
Lack of power CronusTRD Electronics 25 12-19-2008 04:04 PM
Lack of Consent cheapjeep2 Chit Chat 23 09-26-2006 04:15 PM