Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: If your looking to make a hand wound on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default If your looking to make a hand wound on a budget

I find old vintage brushed motors and buy hand wand armatures from HH and end up with a nice motor. One thing to be careful of is the motors timing. Some older 27T motors had up to 24 degrees of advanced timing. This adds RPM and takes away from the torq. So make sure the can and endbell arn't clocked for advanced timing. So far I put together a motor that seems to do better than my Pro Tekin 35T. I do have a fully built 27T that I picked every aspect of it on HH's website and it is a great motor and I know every part that went into it but if on a budget and dont want some plain old motor that is one way to go.
it8ezbngrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: If your looking to make a hand wound on a budget

Actually almost all 27t motors from the racing days had 24 degrees of timing or more. There was only a couple that did not, and they were very uncommon.....Prior to to 1991, 27t stock motors could run any timing they wanted, so they often were found with 30+ degrees. It got so bad, some motors were at 40 degrees and lasted one run before blowing up. ROAR stepped in and mandated a 24 locked rule. All 27t at that point came locked at 24 (or 36 for the holdout orginization or outlaw stocks). The classes that used a 5 degree motor didn't last a long time, but they are out there.

Once the rebuildable stock motors, hit, trinity made them with the squared can..........avoid those, there is no way to really adjust the timing. All the other companies used a round can. You can simply cut the tab off the endbell and the timing is adjustable at that point.

Mod motors are where its at....pretty much all made from 2001 or later have FB9 magnets. Tens of thousands were made....just sitting in junk boxes all over. Almost all my testing of new arms and parts often is done with old race mod cans.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote

If your looking to make a hand wound on a budget - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand wound versus machine wound motors? Mysterious Electronics 12 02-09-2013 12:10 AM
hand wound or machine wound Chack100 Electronics 3 06-06-2012 07:46 PM
Ultra cheap, mid level machine wound, or nicer hand wound, worth it? mdchris Axial XR10 7 12-02-2011 07:39 PM
hand wound? cspyy Newbie General 6 12-11-2007 09:46 PM
Hand Wound DrasticSports Electronics 3 01-28-2006 12:39 PM