Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Servo Problem

So I'm in the middle of testing this thing, but thought I'd ask for other's experiences so I don't totally reinvent the wheel. I've experienced my third servo problem an about 4-5 comps. The first two were Hitec 7950s and seemed legitimate failures. The first has already been returned from warranty and they replaced the motor.

But having so many problems, I have to wonder if something else is going on. Having lost two 7950's I was down to my 7954 spare which is about the same animal except "metal" gears instead of Ti. On the fourth gate of the first course I started getting steering refusal. Just wouldn't try very hard to turn. It was warm, but just barely. I picked it up and set it on a flat rock (5lb sporty) and it wouldn't work the tires back and forth.

So last night I got it on the work bench and crap -- now it feels normal. Called Hitec and they don't know. They say when they get too hot to touch the motor may lose about 25%. Mine lost at least 75% without getting more than barely warm. I asked for a safe testing procedure and he said I could lift a 5 lb weight off the floor on a 1" arm. My "bad" servo currently does that easily. I also checked voltage at the RX power bus and it read 7.38V. Fine since I set it at 7.4V. I next need to make up some test cables so I can check voltage under load, and maybe do some duration testing to get some temperature into it.

I hate intermittents. So hard to track down what's happening. Anyone had similar experiences and figured it out? I think I've previously noticed occasional marginal steering force from time to time, but not this bad.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Servo Problem

Lets get the simple stuff out of the way first.

B.E.C.?

EPA's set correctly?

No binding in the steering linkage?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo Problem

yes/yes/no

My other warranty 7950 came in today. They said defective motor, but replaced the IC's. Maybe they meant both.
Gotta say...nothing wrong with their customer service.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo Problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with servo losikid Electronics 13 06-11-2010 03:01 PM
Servo problem. Vicfirth1989 Newbie General 11 03-26-2010 06:46 PM
Problem with new Servo kizzo Electronics 3 01-16-2009 12:21 AM
1/4 Servo Problem Toph Electronics 4 06-26-2007 11:22 AM
help, servo problem clod booster Electronics 0 03-21-2007 08:50 PM