Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dean's or traxxas ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dean's or traxxas ?

So I've been running Dean's forever. I've been into racing since the '80 s always trying to keep up with the Jone's. Last couple yesrs I raced 1/8th scale buggy in which your running 4s 6500 100c lipos. So therefore I saw it important to run Dean's which they weren't really rated for but handled no problem. Well now that I got into crawling, I see no need to run them. I was contemplating switching over to traxxad just because they are cheaper. I have no experience with them at all so opinions would be great.
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Default Re: dean's or traxxas ?

I agree that Deans are overpriced.

You can get clones of Deans plugs. I've never used them. Some people love them and some people hate them. I have some on order so I can finally try them.

Personally, I switched most of my stuff to XT60 connectors. They are larger than Deans, but it makes them easier to grip when pulling them apart. They are also much, much cheaper than genuine Deans connectors. You can get them on eBay or HobbyKing. Plus, a lot of Turnigy batteries are offered with XT60 connectors so that's one less thing to solder.

XT60

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You won't see too many people that like Traxxas on this forum, so you'll see most post up Deans and/or use Deans. I personally think they're easier to solder to wires, but if you're new to soldering, the Traxxas connectors are much more up your alley.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I use the generic deans style plugs on my stuff. I like them, but they do have one thing I have notice compared to the actual deans style. the generic plugs plastic doesn't hold up to the heat of the soldering if you are on it for too long. so get the heat on them, get the job done, and get off it.
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I like Traxxas connectors, easier for me to get, they're relatively cheap and easy to solder. Also, I find them easier to connect/disconnect and they hold great. Dean's are just a pain for me to try to disconnect.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you go crawling at comps or with other people, pick the connector they most commonly use. That way if you need to borrow/loan a pack, it will have the right connectors.

Around where I crawl, the most common connector is the Deans connector and that is the connector that i use.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I use EC3 connectors. Not a fan of dean's.

http://www.rcheliresource.com/wp-con...09/pigtail.jpg
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Traxxas are easier to pull apart and solder. Deans are overrated. Except for micro on crawlers.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I prefer deans myself, that's just what I have used for years and never had any problems and as stated above; if I need to borrow a battery if I'm with my buddy's or something that's what they run so we can interchange battery's esc's or whatever. Just easier for me and I like them! But never had problems with traxxas either but have not ran them as much.
But deans are a bit harder to unplug sometimes too...
Just have not felt the need to change all my battery's and esc's over yet
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use XT60 for larger battery for my scaler and wraith. Micro deans for 2.2 crawler stuff.

XT60 is dead easy to solder and once the little area is filled with solder, it WILL NEVER come off. It also offer better water resistance compared to deans. If you worry about loaning a pack from your mate, make up some adaptor XT60-Deans so you can always get a loan back.

I like micro dean, non-polarised one, pretty reasonable price. easy to disconnect.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
I use XT60 for larger battery for my scaler and wraith. Micro deans for 2.2 crawler stuff.

XT60 is dead easy to solder and once the little area is filled with solder, it WILL NEVER come off. It also offer better water resistance compared to deans. If you worry about loaning a pack from your mate, make up some adaptor XT60-Deans so you can always get a loan back.

I like micro dean, non-polarised one, pretty reasonable price. easy to disconnect.
I agree. I run XT60's on all of my stuff. I have a bunch of adapters I have made so I can use them on anyones truck and I can loan out my batteries or I can borrow someones batteries. And you really can't beat the price of them. And being that I run Turnigy batteries I don't have to worry about soldering new connectors on whenever I get new batteries.
lilpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I use the dean's
it's fairly lite, secure W' good contact, durable, can be reused.

I most always pull them apart grasping the wires
meh... a solid solder joint should be able to take the abuse !? Lol

TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I run Traxxas, but all my buddys run Dean,s. the traxxas can be really hard to unplug.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Now deans are a bitch to unplug sometimes...and a bigger bitch to solder
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Proverbial threadkiller

When I got back into R/C, the wife and I picked up Slashes, an eMaxx, and an eRevo, with batteries. It was easier to change over the charger to match the batteries and trucks rather than change 5 vehicles, batteries, and two chargers over to Dean's.
And with these big, fat fingers, the Traxxas are easier to pull apart.
I also like that I can hold the blades in a vise while soldering, as I've melted every single Dean's I've ever touched.

A week or two ago I was down at the Retirement Sale (going out of business sale) at the LHS, and the guy there showed me some HPI Maxx p/n: 2818 solder couplers for Dean's. I don't have any Dean's connectors to try 'em out on, but I couldn't resist buyin' 'em anyway. Meh, maybe I'll make up some Traxxas to Dean's adapters one of these days.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Give these a look. Believe it or not they are easier to handle than a Deans plug.

AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I ran powerpole for years until I got into crawling half way seriously then I switched to deans. I really like deans, they are stone simple and easy to solder, they don't fall apart and they are readily available anywhere. I don't know how many connectors you guys use that you're concerned with the cost of them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Holy crap, I forgot about power poles. Now that takes me back to the good ol days. When you had to make your own matched packs. I remember everyone going crazy over 2000 mah nicad cells . Over a $100 to build a 7 cell! Anyways I guess I 'll just stick with dean's. Thanks guys .
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
When I got back into R/C, the wife and I picked up Slashes, an eMaxx, and an eRevo, with batteries. It was easier to change over the charger to match the batteries and trucks rather than change 5 vehicles, batteries, and two chargers over to Dean's.
And with these big, fat fingers, the Traxxas are easier to pull apart.
I also like that I can hold the blades in a vise while soldering, as I've melted every single Dean's I've ever touched.

A week or two ago I was down at the Retirement Sale (going out of business sale) at the LHS, and the guy there showed me some HPI Maxx p/n: 2818 solder couplers for Dean's. I don't have any Dean's connectors to try 'em out on, but I couldn't resist buyin' 'em anyway. Meh, maybe I'll make up some Traxxas to Dean's adapters one of these days.
Do you have a link to the 2818? I looked online and it was a motor mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Give these a look. Believe it or not they are easier to handle than a Deans plug.
Do you have a link to those? Doe they work with Deans?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
.Do you have a link to those? Doe they work with Deans?
Mini black T Connector (10 Pairs)

They are exactly like a Deans only smaller. Here's a Deans and Mini T next to each other.

AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

dean's or traxxas ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips to make soldering 3 wires to 1 Dean's terminal easier? shelljeep Electronics 28 02-03-2011 04:19 PM
Dean's and aligator clips Entropy98 Newbie General 8 01-26-2010 06:20 AM
Dean's Bruiser Clone pigeonfarmboy 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 10-05-2007 07:49 PM