Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electronics help with new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Default Electronics help with new build

Okay guys, this is my first build and first RC i've had since i was a kid. (Now 23)
I watched several videos before deciding to purchase the Axial scx10 Dingo build. I was referred to this site buy a guy off another site. He said you guys could really help. I want the truck to do some crawling but also your weekend basher too. So, more like a scale mud truck that i can play with. I love the scale look that is why i went with the scx10.

Okay, so here is the deal. I don't know much about the electronics that go into these. Although, i have done my hw and i know what i need to add to the kit to get it running.

Radio: FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

ESC: Axial AE 2 Forward Reverse Brushed ESC w Drag Brake SCX10 Wraith | eBay

Motor: Axial SCX10 Rubicon 27T 540 Electric Motor AM27 27 Turn Brushed 4WD AX24004 | eBay

Battery and Charger: Amazon.com: Racer's Edge 7.2V 3300mAh 6 cell NiMH RC Battery Pack: Toys & Games

Steering Servo: Axial SCX10 '12 Jeep Rubicon Crawler as 3 Digital Steering Servo AX90028 AS3 | eBay

These are all the parts i should need to get it running. Please leave comments on better deals. I am a broke college kid who is trying to build on a budget. Let me know if there is anything else i will need. Once again thanks for the help.
meauxtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Electronics help with new build

You can probably beat the prices you have listed by buying used from the classified section.

If you are a member of the site for at least 30 days and have a minimum of 30 posts, you can get access to the classified section here on RCC.

The other way to get access to the classified section is to pay $20 for a green star.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/payments.php
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Ahh, yeah i just joined today looking for help with the build. I don't want to pay the $20 for a green star so i may have to wait a month to get access. Thanks though. Everything seem like it would fit the Dingo though?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meauxtrucks View Post
Ahh, yeah i just joined today looking for help with the build. I don't want to pay the $20 for a green star so i may have to wait a month to get access. Thanks though. Everything seem like it would fit the Dingo though?
All of the parts that you have listed will work. They aren't the best but they are low budget.

I wanted to make sure you were aware of the option of the classified section since I too was once a broke college student.

Another place to find low cost items is the salvage yard at RPP Hobby. Not many SCX10 parts right now but it is a place to keep checking.

RPP Salvage
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Okay, thanks for the help man. Is the scx10 kit a good choice for my first build? Also, i'm pretty mechanically inclined but the whole electronics thing isn't my forte. How will i set the ESC and all up whenever i get it all hooked up?

Also, is there any place to see a step by step on the scx10 dingo build?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Have your bought the truck? If not maybe cheaper to get the RTR version that comes with the said ESC and motor and servo.

For best bang for bucks.

Radio - GT-3B is great choice for budget choice.
ESC - Castle SV3. Waterproof and 3s compatible. You need to add BEC for power the servo mentioned below, cc builtin BEC is crap.
Motor - HH torque master Sport or expert 35T. They are nice machine wound and rebuildable. Or one of the HH $12 Trialmaster sport for mud run.
Servo - Solar 772 from hobbyparts.
Battery - you better run Lipo, a small lipo about 2200mah will give good run time. They are lighter and more powerful. You will need lipo charger too. Check out Hobbyking.com for cheapest deal around.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Are the GT-3B really $10? FS GT3B 2 4G 3CH Gun Transmitter Re
Also, that ESC you listed was a a bit pricy i can waterproof it myself. I heard that i shouldn't run lipo in this build though? Is that true? Why should i run the lipo? And again that motor you listed is pricy. This is a budget build that i plan on upgrading as i go. I just want to get it running to where i can learn the ropes. This is my first RC since i was a child. I don't want to put a ton of money in it just yet.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think you should be looking for a used RTR complete w/lipo and charger as well. There is always someone getting out of the hobby for one reason or another and you would score a good deal that way. Now I'm not a fan of RTR's (aka...ready to rebuild) but for you, it would be a good way to learn about the electronics that operate it at your own pace without getting confused on buying and setting up separate components.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Gosh, you guys are bursting my bubble. I was really looking forward to building this puppy up. Also, the site i found the dingo kit has the easy pay option. So, with the kit i'm only paying $84 over 3 months which works great for my broke college self. I think i can figure it out pretty easy. I have built my own PC's and build plenty of things from the ground up. So i think that option will work best for me. Also, i can't access the classifieds for another month...
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Gosh, you guys are bursting my bubble. I was really looking forward to building this puppy up. Also, the site i found the dingo kit has the easy pay option. So, with the kit i'm only paying $84 over 3 months which works great for my broke college self. I think i can figure it out pretty easy. I have built my own PC's and build plenty of things from the ground up. So i think that option will work best for me. Also, i can't access the classifieds for another month...
What site was the kit on ? A friend and I are also new to this hole rc thing but really think I will be fun to play with. The only bad thing is nether of us know anything about the electric part. We are thinking about the scx10 kit for a scale build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racecar366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar366 View Post
What site was the kit on ? A friend and I are also new to this hole rc thing but really think I will be fun to play with. The only bad thing is nether of us know anything about the electric part. We are thinking about the scx10 kit for a scale build.

Guessing Tower Hobbies since he said Easy Pay. Tower Hobbies - Best Source for Radio Control ( R/C or RC ) Cars, Trucks, Airplanes, Boats and Helicopters
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the help man. Is the scx10 kit a good choice for my first build? Also, i'm pretty mechanically inclined but the whole electronics thing isn't my forte. How will i set the ESC and all up whenever i get it all hooked up?

Also, is there any place to see a step by step on the scx10 dingo build?
The Honcho step by step video series by Fast Eddy is close enough to the dingo that you will get the idea how it goes together.
Team Fast Eddy builds an SCX-10 - RCCrawler.com

On the electronics start out by looking at the on line instruction sheets on the Axial website for the ESC and the Dingo kit.
Axial Racing - instructions

If you can't figure it out then you can post specific questions on how to get the electronics working. It is pretty much plug and play with the parts that you have listed.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Thank you

Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #14

Thanks

Electronics help with new build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR10 Build - Electronics Help duramaxcj5 Electronics 21 08-11-2012 04:37 PM
SXC10 Build w/o Electronics, Then Add Later? Chachi_RC Axial SCX-10 29 09-19-2010 11:24 AM
New Bully build (UK) where to mount the electronics? MoFoHo RC4WD Bully 11 12-06-2009 05:11 PM