Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 1.9 brushless motor choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
idk
Quarry Creeper

Default 1.9 brushless motor choice

im going down to 1.9 on my rocky buggy and wanna go brushless. im not new to brushless sensored motor had a mmp 17.5 in my wraith but ive never ran this setup with 1.9s? is there going to be any difference if how the motor feels with the smaller tires? i wanna get a 13.5 motor but crawling is the main thing i do. i felt the 17.5 was to slow in my wraith but crawled great. so is a 13.5 or 17.5 recommended /prefered on 1.9 sensored setups or somthing in higher/lower turn? whatever i get is going to get waterproofed if its not stock already so thats not a issues. just wanna order right the frist time.
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Re: 1.9 brushless motor choice

You can run what you had in your wraith, but try and go sensored. Sensored is supposed to be smoother on the bottom end. The only real difference is that the smaller 1.9 tires may make it a tiny bit slower. Smaller tires=Fast acceleration, slightly slower. Bigger tires=higher top speed, but takes longer to get there.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i have had good luck with the tacon brand, ive run them in a lot of my cars and trucks. im currently running a 16t on a 35a esc in my wraith with a good compromise of power and top end speed. what are some more details about the buggy? gearing, weight, top speed you are looking for? these all factor in when choosing a motor. what 17.5 you running now? depending on that you can always volt up and gear down to go faster with the same set up. my gforce 17.5 is rated safe up to 25v...

if you want true waterproof go sensorless, modern sensorless have the same feel and grunt of a typical 17.5 sensored that you are used to, and water doesnt bother them

Last edited by stevem50; 11-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i have a scx with 1.9 pits and tekin 13.5 with mmp and will not run any other motor size now
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Turnigy trackstar sensored motor is the best cheap option. They even have 4 poles now.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
idk
Quarry Creeper

i dont have the wraith anymore im looking to buy new. and yes i will only go sensored like i said not my frist rodeo. just not much time with 1.9 to know the difference. " Smaller tires=Fast acceleration, slightly slower. Bigger tires=higher top speed, but takes longer to get there." this is what i was after thanks man! as far as speed i had a 27 turn epic based motor and was more than happy with wheelspeed but could only run 2s with the xl5 i had i want to use my 3s instead. im leaning on a tacon/turnigy motor and a HW/HK sensored esc in the 60a flavor. this is budget minded setup. would really like get a traxxas et3s to though. rockybuggy is not to heavy he weighs out around 7-8lbs. and i will be runnung 32p gearing.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

an average 17.5 is on par with an average 27t brushed as far as ive seen on the track

if you go sensored, go trackstar over tacon- i fried my tacon sensored on 3s, but all i run in my stock class trucks and buggies (4) is trackstar, just be sure to order the right one for your application. there are 2 available in each turn size, one higher kv for 2s only, and one that is slightly lower kv for 2 or 3s use. i just got the 10.5t for my 4wd indoor sct and the power is great and throttle response is linear and way tunable via esc.

check amp draw for your specific motor choice, as 60a esc is gonna be overkill for most motor choices. my 10.5 is rated at 27a at max draw and im using a 35a esc with it... got 3 weeks of racing on it with no heating troubles

and if you are sticking with sensored, you are stuck with hobbyking esc unless you go for an 80a or higher hobbywing, no sensored esc in lower amp rating, kinda dumb as sensored motors draw waaay less than sensorless
Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
idk
Quarry Creeper

Hobby King 35A Sensored/Sensorless Car ESC (1:10/1:12) (USA warehouse) so this would be enough of esc for a 8lb rig? i think im gonna try for a 13.5. i had the gray 17.5 trackstar and it was great just no 3s. when i ran the 17.5 i ran 56/14 gearing i most likely will run this setup again since i already have them thanks for help!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

thats the one im using in my sct. now that said, my logic when choosing a crawler esc is 1-how adjustable is the programming? boost,drag brake etc.. 2- take the max amp draw of the motor and multiply by at least 1.5, so 20a max draw, then at least 30a esc to account for all the time you can possibly spend with bound-up axles.

Turnigy TrackStar 13.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 2590KV

i would go with this one over the higher kv version. the other is rated 500kv higher, but this one is safe to run up to 4s. also keep in mind amp draw will jump as voltage goes up too. this motor is a 21a draw, so you are still safe running 3s in most circumstances, i would keep an eye on temps in sloppy mud on hot days on 3s, but on 2 you wont heat it up over 10 degrees above ambient temps.

like i said... i have esc this in a few trucks and my rally car too, default settings are fine for those but if you are going to do any crawling, pick up a programming card. they are like 6 or 7 dollars and you can dial in drag brake and bump up boost levels.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
i dont have the wraith anymore im looking to buy new. and yes i will only go sensored like i said not my frist rodeo. just not much time with 1.9 to know the difference. " Smaller tires=Fast acceleration, slightly slower. Bigger tires=higher top speed, but takes longer to get there." this is what i was after thanks man! as far as speed i had a 27 turn epic based motor and was more than happy with wheelspeed but could only run 2s with the xl5 i had i want to use my 3s instead. im leaning on a tacon/turnigy motor and a HW/HK sensored esc in the 60a flavor. this is budget minded setup. would really like get a traxxas et3s to though. rockybuggy is not to heavy he weighs out around 7-8lbs. and i will be runnung 32p gearing.
No problem. It's the same principal with full sized cars, except on a smaller scale and it doesn't do enough to notice it to the naked eye unless you go from like a 1.9 to a big 40 series tire. But that would look weird.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
Hobby King 35A Sensored/Sensorless Car ESC (1:10/1:12) (USA warehouse) so this would be enough of esc for a 8lb rig? i think im gonna try for a 13.5. i had the gray 17.5 trackstar and it was great just no 3s. when i ran the 17.5 i ran 56/14 gearing i most likely will run this setup again since i already have them thanks for help!
I just got that ESC last week. It's in my SCX10 Jeep with the Turnigy TrackStar 17.5 sensored motor on 2S. It works great! The only thing that sucks is that you need to buy a programming card for it. You can't program it via the ESC button.

I actually got this combo recommendation from another member.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
idk
Quarry Creeper

sweet! i was gonna get the program card aswell
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
idk
Quarry Creeper

i dont do mud with very little water anyway, the only thing that i worried about is getting bound up. my 27turn wasnt the best in this area . if i wanted 27t speed but 35t torque would 17.5 be the choice or just get a lower kv rating on 13.5 motor and gear it to my taste? i want wheelspeed not top end speed
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I would go 17.5 for the torque bump and run 3s if you need more speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #15

Well, if you go brushless, go sensored due to cogging, but brushed is the best because they are water friendly, inexpensive and no cogging. thats just my 2 cents
Dmillsaps is offline   Reply With Quote

1.9 brushless motor choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with brushless motor choice orlandocrawler Newbie General 16 01-24-2011 09:46 PM
Brushless Choice neillarson Axial SCX-10 1 05-22-2010 07:46 PM
definitive brushless choice to go with mamba max GEARSCIENCE Electronics 5 01-23-2009 11:35 AM
Another choice of brushless outrunner for crawler ? kaho0338 Electronics 0 06-19-2008 10:17 PM