Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor Stall issue Please Help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Motor Stall issue Please Help!!

I've been searching this forum high and low along with my local Oregon R/C Crawling forum and have yet to find an answer to my issue. I had been running my HPI Crawler King on 7.2v NiMH through an Axial AE-2 turning an Integy 65t motor while the steering was handled by a HiTec HS-7954SH powered by a 6.0v rx battery pack for basically the last two years without a hitch. I decided to run a 8.4v pack for a little extra juice, about 10 runs later I began to experience motor stall under decent load. I swapped back to a newer 7.2v pack thinking maybe the old 7 cell battery might be junk. Even with a fully charged pack I still experience the stall, so I replace the rx pack with a Castle Creations BEC, and S.O.B!!! same stall under load. I even swapped the 65t for a known good 55t from another rig and still same stall. It drives fine on flat ground and moderate crawls but as soon as it requires that mega torque to conquer it's no longer there. Any suggestions or ideas?
Rubiclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Motor Stall issue Please Help!!

I would pull the motor and give the car a roll. Everything should feel smooth. My first instinct would be you cooked the motor, but if you swapped it out maybe the esc is bad. I would double check all the connections, and if you have another esc swap them.

Does it drive at full speed on flat ground. Maybe it needs reprogrammed. If it is the axial esc that is like the castle sidewinder, you can program the throttle and brake by powering the esc up with the radio on and pulled to full throttle. It will beep then go full reverse, then after the next beep let it go to neutral. It should beep a couple more times then reboot. Sounds almost like your only getting part throttle.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Good idea on programming the esc, I will try that tomorrow after work. Yes I do have full speed forward and reverse on flat ground, but I did notice the drag brake is a little weak also.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

check all your power/plug connections to be sure they aren't culprit.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

"The V" had good suggestions.

Additional question, what battery connector are you running?? If it's a Tamiya, I bet that's the issue. If it's a Tamiya, change over to Deans or similar plug.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Well, I reprogrammed the esc and also checked specs using my Castle Link....same stall issue exists. I am using Deans connectors and checked all soldier connections. Is it really possible that running 8.4v through an AE-2 could cause internal damage? Another point to bring up, when I throttle forward or reverse in stall, the lights and beeps still signal on the esc like normal, just acts like no juice is making it to the motor, sometimes burping the throttle will get a reaction which was never the case before. Could cutting the com make that kind of difference and bring back the torque?

Motor Stall issue Please Help!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it "Normal/bad" clod stall or electronic(s) issue? OhioCrawler Electronics 12 07-20-2012 11:25 AM
Rear Motor Stall dmyers44 Tamiya Clod Buster 1 02-17-2009 12:23 PM
stall - surging issue when in high? Rc_Kid General Crawlers 17 03-13-2007 05:38 PM
Motor stall problem. Udlman Electronics 6 06-11-2006 03:39 PM
motor stall firstumustcrawl General Crawlers 5 06-04-2004 12:32 PM