Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 45t tekins-juice'em up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question 45t tekins-juice'em up?

Wutup fellow crawler sickos! I have an xr10 with the usual smashed micro winders & all the trimmings. I'm running twin tekin chrome can 45's. Tho i was never a big tekin motor guy, & i tend to like 35's in my moa's, I've been pleasantly surprised with their performance. Now, i've never messed with the timing in my motors, but i'm thinking about it with these. I'd like to know what the pro's are for doing this. Also, con's-if there are any. I know some of you cats are way into tearing into these things. About the only messing with motors i've done is replacing brushes. Is it difficult to change the timing, & do it correctly? Thanks folks.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 45t tekins-juice'em up?

It is easy to adjust the timing of the motor. 6 deg advance is most common. Other than that, maintenance is the key to keep the motor performing. cutting comm and cleaning them regularly.

If your housing and mag is in good shape, you can get custom armature made by either Holmes or Brood and get much more out of it.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: 45t tekins-juice'em up?

Is advancing the timing done by roatating the end of the motor? And how will i be able to tell where 6* is? Also, what does this do for me? makes it hotter somehow? Like the advanced timing on my small block?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yes, on motors that you can adjust timing on, you loosen (~1.5 turns) 2 screws that hold the endbell on. They are between the 2 brush hoods.

If you put a mark on the can & endbell as an alignment guide, rotate the endbell ~1/8" on the circumference.
Then snug the 2 screws back down.

NOTE: check to see if you have any timing now or if they're at "0". IIRC (I'm in Wyoming for work, my motors are in NJ), the 2 screws used for timing will be between the 2 motor magnets if you have "0" timing.

2nd note: the direction you will rotate the endbell will be different for each motor as they rotate in opposite directions.
Advancing the timing means rotating the endbell against the armature rotation when you spin the wheels by hand in a "forward direction".
If the armature is rotating CCW, then loosen the endbell & rotate it CW to advance timing. Opposite for CW armature rotation.

Pro's/con's:

Pro:
-Bit more speed/power in forward.
-Can be a bit smoother on slow speed start-up in forward.

Con:
-Too much timing will overload the motor leading to heat in it..... bad for motor life.
-Better power in one direction of rotation means less power in the other direction of rotation.
-Little more heat & brush wear.
-Having to keep track of motor rotation when reinstalling them in a rig (otherwise they will be retarded in forward which is slower if you swap them on the rig.)
-Shortens battery runtime, how much is dependent on the amount of timing.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Chaz! Excellent stuff! I'm gonna give it a shot. Just need to check mine to see which way to spin the bells.

45t tekins-juice'em up? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring up Dual 35 Tekins to a single ESC with Dig switch. Bigend777str Electronics 6 10-11-2010 06:28 PM