Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Few esc questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Default Few esc questions

Right now I have a novak goat 2s in my wraith with the 17.5 motor. It's kinda glitchy at times and I don't like the way the drag brakes work at all.

Now I'm looking to upgrade at least the esc. I can buy a brand new tekin rx8 gen2 for 180$. I'm a huge tekin fan for my go fast cars and it would give me a spare for my rc8. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have no reverse delay? Also would it just be totally worthless as a crawler esc?

My other thought is a mmp, but I don't like the reverse delay. Plus that's almost as much as the rx8 and I already have plenty of 1/10 esc's.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Few esc questions

I never had a Tekin esc but I have a MMP and it works great, you can set it up to have no delay if you have a castle link.

Are you running a power hungry servo? There was a guy on a local forum that was having trouble with his Novak Timbuk 2 esc glitching and he ran a separate BEC to his servo.
ZZRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

I have a cc bec already. It's when I go from brakes to throttle or vice versa it's like it goes WOT for a half second. It's not terrible but it drives me crazy. I'd also like the ability to run 3s if I feel it'll benefit me.

I do have a castle link and the tekin hotwire.

Last edited by Drz250; 11-24-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you like to slow crawl and don't want a speed demon but a fast walking speed is fast enough for you then you cant beat a brushed set up for your wraith or any crawler/ trail truck for that matter.
Save the brushless for the 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale track racers until they match a brushed set up for slow crawling..They have higher rpm power advantages but that's about it over a good brushed set up.

I cant answer the glitch problem but if you have more servo than you need (which is in most cases) pulling all the power from your esc then it does cause a problem with out spending more money for a BEC.

Can get a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL brushed ESC that handles high torque servos and up to a 6s battery I think...is that enough power? lol ...$100.00..good brushed motor $60.00 or so...you would never look back.

Sorry; just rambling off at the fingers..Someone will have the answers for you.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Read post #2
Error

This guy was having problems with his Timbuk 2 and he done the mod in post #2 and it fixed the problem.

Error
Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

let me try this again

Do you have the BEC plugged into the RX? Something with that amount of torque needs powered straight from the BEC--bypass the RX. Easy to do with a Y-harness that you normally use for running two servos. Plug the servo into the Y-harness, plug the BEC into the Y-harness without the yellow/signal wire, and plug the Y-harness into the RX without the red (+) wire.

This way, the RX sends signal, but the BEC sends power, and both are grounded.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

I don't have it hooked up like that no. I bought and installed the rx8 gen 2 tonight, I just couldn't pass it up. I'm going to put the goat in my scx10 and I will try that then. Thank you.

Few esc questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc questions?? IWantATurbo Redcat Crawlers 2 07-21-2012 11:43 AM
Help with esc questions. It usually runs fine Redcat Crawlers 21 08-31-2011 04:27 AM
ESC Questions. maxxa87 Electronics 7 02-25-2009 12:49 PM
ESC Questions. Donziikid General Crawlers 8 11-01-2007 09:12 AM
ESC questions Double J Electronics 7 01-17-2006 06:48 PM