Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question

I've been running my Wraith with a couple NiMH batteries I had and it has been working great, but I'm considering switching to Lipo. I've checked all the setup docs from Axial but can't seem to find the one piece of info I'm looking for. Is th AE-2 esc able to be switched back and forth from NiMH to Lipo without reprogramming or is there some type of setup change I need to do? I have a Dynamite esc in another rig that has to be switched before changing battery chemistry but I didn't know if the Axial was the same way. Thanks in advance!
Brad85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #2

Default Re: Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question

I used mine today with both NimH and LiPo batteries and its fine! You have may have to reprogram the LVC, but if you have an external alarm you don't have to worry about that.
OnceWasBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Man you need a Castle link, just go in on the computer and program it to handle 2s voltage or 7.4v, but keep in mind that voltage cut off should be around 6.4 for the entire pack or 3.2 volts per pack. It is very unwise to run a nimh and then running a lipo pack with out reseting the esc. Just do what everyone else does and reset it every time, if you want it to be simple get a esc extension to get to it faster. I run a 3s lipo in mine with a RS tekin and a 10.5t redline motor, so I know what I am talking about, get a castle link and turn the voltage cut off to 3.2 per unless you want to screw up a esc, its you choice, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

I'm think the esc is made by castle and yes it dose work with castle link. But stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo. With all of castle stuff I have used like the sidewinder the mmp are factory set that way. It can detect witch cell lipo batteries you are using and adjust to the right cut off depending on what cell you are use. For each cell the stock setting in my ae-2 was set to 3.2v cut off per cell. So if you had a 2s batterie the cut off is 6.4v. The esc dose not need to be change from auto lipo to run nimh like you dynamite. I also have a dynamite and know what you are thinking about. The cut off will not come on for a nimh batterie. Castle link is a great tool to have but if you got your esc brand new and know that no one has played with the setting running a lipo is ok. I don't remember if the ae-2 could do 3s but I ran 2s and nimh just fine.
Zion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo.
he's right...

the CC link is needed to make changes to the ae-2
I run my drag brake set to max...
and reverse is instant on.

there are other things can be adjusted...
but don't remember what they are.

again... you would need the CC link to make adjustments to the ae-2 esc.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't remember if the ae-2 could do 3s
It does. I run one in one of my rigs on 3s but you have to use a separate bec...can't use the internal one.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad85 View Post
I've been running my Wraith with a couple NiMH batteries I had and it has been working great, but I'm considering switching to Lipo. I've checked all the setup docs from Axial but can't seem to find the one piece of info I'm looking for. Is th AE-2 esc able to be switched back and forth from NiMH to Lipo without reprogramming or is there some type of setup change I need to do? I have a Dynamite esc in another rig that has to be switched before changing battery chemistry but I didn't know if the Axial was the same way. Thanks in advance!
You can program the Lipo cut off setting with you radio. This link has the instructions for manual programming of the AE-2.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...e_AE-2_ESC.pdf
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
It does. I run one in one of my rigs on 3s but you have to use a separate bec...can't use the internal one.
X2 on this...3s is all I run.

Quote:
.....stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo. With all of castle stuff I have used like the sidewinder the mmp are factory set that way. It can detect witch cell lipo batteries you are using and adjust to the right cut off depending on what cell you are use. For each cell the stock setting in my ae-2 was set to 3.2v cut off per cell. So if you had a 2s batterie the cut off is 6.4v.
Another thing I've encountered is by leaving the AE-2 set to auto cut-off, is my charger won't recognize my packs if they're ran to the cut-off. Not sure if theres a setting in my charger or not, but I ended up doing a custom cut off setting to 10v on the esc and everything is fine.

I'd also suggest picking up a castle link! Very handy tool to have!!
silvr_tung_devl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you go to 3s batteries you need to run a bec. If not everything will see pack voltage which is way more than it should be with out using a bec.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
If you go to 3S batteries you need to run a BEC. If not everything will see pack voltage which is way more than it should be with out using a BEC.
??

The issue is that at 3S input power, the internal ESC BEC is overworked and will create heat issues with any real load on it. Thus the recommendation to run an external BEC, especially with heavy loads like high torque servos.
On 2S input power, the load on the internal BEC is not as great, thus less of an issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith motor and ESC question 2-shot Newbie General 11 10-06-2014 02:17 PM
Wraith Motor/ESC Question SPNJCARV Electronics 5 02-01-2013 01:23 PM
Axial AE-2 ESC Question HDMM Electronics 8 08-24-2012 03:11 PM
Axial XR10 and Axial AE-2 esc stoopid noobie question shelbyzz Newbie General 3 06-14-2012 06:34 AM
Wraith ESC/lipo question GREEDY GENIUS Electronics 3 10-17-2011 05:19 PM