Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Difference between cheap and expensive esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Difference between cheap and expensive esc

For a Crawler using a 35T-55T motor you obviously don't need to worry about the motor limits (10T, 12T, 15T etc) So what's the difference between a cheap $30 ESC for a brushed system and an expensive one for $120? Keep in mind that both esc's have the same functions, forward, reverse and drag brake.

If both esc's give the same function why would you need one that's over twice the money? Maybe a good example is like a Dynamite DYN4925WP its a 15T limit which doesn't matter, its for brushed which is fine, and its waterproof which is a bonus. It can be had locally for like $30 and I don't need to worry about shipping. It also has forward, reverse and brake.

So why is a expensive Novak worth the extra $70 for the same functions?

As you may be able to tell im pretty new to this stuff lol
Underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Difference between cheap and expensive esc

Drag brake, Reliability, Internal BEC, Programability.

I suggest: Holmes Hobbies LLC

You just missed his black Friday sale with this esc for $67

If you watch the sale area, you can find FXR's and BRXL's for between $60-70 Used
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Buy the $30 Dynamite AND a used HH BRXL. Try both and report back. We know what you're gonna say.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Drag brake, Reliability, Internal BEC, Programability.

I suggest: Holmes Hobbies LLC

You just missed his black Friday sale with this esc for $67

If you watch the sale area, you can find FXR's and BRXL's for between $60-70 Used
I snagged me up another just on the price and cant beat the quality.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

I've also noticed that more expensive esc's are a little bit smoother than the cheaper ones.
Smilymike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Biggest thing you need to be sure of is whether the ESC you're looking at has "drag brake" and not just "brake".

Electronics made me very skeptical when I first got into the hobby, but once you finally bite the bullet and pick up some quality components you won't ever go back. Your rig will be smoother, more powerful, stop when you want it to, and hold in place when you want. The more expensive units are more efficient at producing the power you need also.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilymike117 View Post
I've also noticed that more expensive esc's are a little bit smoother than the cheaper ones.

I bough a super elcheapo esc from china, it felt like forward had 6 steps to full throttle, neutral was 1000% full brake, and reverse had about 4 steps. Then I got into Mamba Max Pro's and I'll never do another cheapo esc again.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underpsi View Post
For a Crawler using a 35T-55T motor you obviously don't need to worry about the motor limits (10T, 12T, 15T etc) So what's the difference between a cheap $30 ESC for a brushed system and an expensive one for $120? Keep in mind that both esc's have the same functions, forward, reverse and drag brake.

If both esc's give the same function why would you need one that's over twice the money? Maybe a good example is like a Dynamite DYN4925WP its a 15T limit which doesn't matter, its for brushed which is fine, and its waterproof which is a bonus. It can be had locally for like $30 and I don't need to worry about shipping. It also has forward, reverse and brake.

So why is a expensive Novak worth the extra $70 for the same functions?

As you may be able to tell im pretty new to this stuff lol
No Novak is worth $70 let alone $70 more than another esc. Stay away from Novak unless you like burning rc trucks in your spare time. A castle sidewinder micro is a great esc for scalers and comp rigs for around $55. Adjustable throttle and brake curves, adjustable drag brake, super smooth startup, and it's tiny so it actually fits out of the way. It has no buttons so waterproofing is as simple as a coat of conformal coating.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Difference, with everything being the same, is brand name.....typically. Consider who built the ESC that you're looking at. Is it made by a reputable builder? Does it have the functions needed? Is it the exact same as another ESC but has a different brand name? If I were in your shoes, I would run a stock AE-2...made by castle creations has all the functions needed, durable, reliable, programmable, lovable, and you can't beat the customer support!

Biggest option differences, as already stated, would be drag brake and BEC.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Buy once or buy twice. You might get a great deal at $30 or it might be a Chinese turd made as cheaply as possible. Spend a little more and know your getting a proven part that will do the job and last.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Difference, with everything being the same, is brand name.....typically. Consider who built the ESC that you're looking at. Is it made by a reputable builder? Does it have the functions needed? Is it the exact same as another ESC but has a different brand name? If I were in your shoes, I would run a stock AE-2...made by castle creations has all the functions needed, durable, reliable, programmable, lovable, and you can't beat the customer support!

This is part of it.

Also look at runtimes, cheaper ESC's likely will waste more power than a better ESC. This will eat through a battery faster. Most spec's will show the loss although it may be hard to find.
Will it be "night & day"?, maybe not, but there will be a difference.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If I were in your shoes, I would run a stock AE-2
Yeah, but you can only run up to a 3s on it. Other than that, it's a good esc!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

Appreciate all the help guys.
Underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Yeah, but you can only run up to a 3s on it. Other than that, it's a good esc!

Yup I like my AE-2 and they can be had for cheap. I have yet to hear a single bad thing about a brxl and it's on my list of things to buy since it has a wicked brake and can handle 6S.

I'm a fan of the castle SV-3 too since it can be used brushed or brushless easily enough.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:

+1 I was really impressed with the AE-2 that came in my wraith, although I now run a MMP in order to power my HH revolver s. I will be using the AE-2 in my class 1 build however. It also has basic programability with the castle link. For a class 1 running 1.55's, 3s will be plenty
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underpsi View Post
Appreciate all the help guys.
Mamba Max Pro in the classifieds for $80 with a castle BEC and programming card. I'd snag it but I already have all that
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

A traxxas version of MMP is only about $67 on ebay....
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I agree with most/all replies above.

I started with a Dynamite Tazer 10T ESC, and it was broken in less than a year. Not due to abuse or overloading the BEC, mind you!
Its lack of drag brake wasn't an issue since I have worm drives.
I replaced it with a MMP which was the right thing for me, as I was transitioning from brushed to brushless a bit later on (again due to the worm drives).

But it was also the right thing for me not to buy the MMP with the crawler!
1. I couldn't afford it at the time. Cash management IS part of the equation!
2. The satisfaction of knowing I (now) have the right stuff wouldn't be there had I not got the "bad" equipment first.

IMO it can be better to start cheap, find out what's missing/wrong with it for YOU, and then get something that fit YOUR needs/requirements!
With a bit of luck some of the cheap equipment will be good enough for you. (For me a cheap Turnigy 3/5A BEC is no worse than a Castle 10A BEC, and by some aspects even better.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have yet to hear a single bad thing about a brxl and it's on my list of things to buy since it has a wicked brake and can handle 6S
You gotta get one man...it's a badass esc. I'm running one on 4s with a 35T...absolutely dead smooth and with the gearing I'm running, turns dead slow too...like comp crawler slow. Love it!! One day I would like to do a wraith using the brxl on 6s and sand tires. That would be cool as hell on the beach!!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I have a brxl and an sv2 programmability is awesome on both, since the drag brake on the tazer is always set to 100% and I also like to play around with throttle curves
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote

Difference between cheap and expensive esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Least expensive crawler esc ? builder Electronics 11 05-28-2013 07:24 PM
Is there really a Difference in an ESC? FordFixer Electronics 9 01-18-2012 10:17 AM
Cheap links tech article was expensive. bud212002 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 11-30-2008 10:43 PM