Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RS Gen II and 4s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RS Gen II and 4s?

Just wondering if anyone is successfully running 4s on a RS Gen2 ESC? I have some 1000uf 35V 105c caps but haven't installed them yet. I have heard of people doing this with the regular RS and the FXR but not the RS Gen2 yet.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RS Gen II and 4s?

Well since nobody seems to have tried it before I decided to see what would happen myself. Installed the 1000uf 35V 105C cap, shortened up the radio wires on the ESC, and eliminated the switch. Also shortened up the wires on the BEC while I was in there. Radio box is a lot more tidy now. Geared down from 14/56 to 12/56. Slapped the 4s 2650mah Turnigy 40c battery in there and went outside to churn up the snow. Everything seems to work fine. Nothing let out any magic smoke.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey Baja, sorry to bring up an old thread but I have the ROC in my Wraith too and am contemplating the MMP or the RS GEN2. How is the Gen2 at the very low end of the throttle curve? Is there any jittering? I have an Xerun and when I'm bound or climbing a really steep hill it very slightly jitters.

Have you any experience with the MMP?
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
Hey Baja, sorry to bring up an old thread but I have the ROC in my Wraith too and am contemplating the MMP or the RS GEN2. How is the Gen2 at the very low end of the throttle curve? Is there any jittering? I have an Xerun and when I'm bound or climbing a really steep hill it very slightly jitters.

Have you any experience with the MMP?
RSG2 will work in a Wraith, but heat may be an issue depending on where you mount it and how hard you run it. The RSX would be the best choice. Both are extremely smooth on the low end, not cogging at all. I've been very happy with the ROC 412 in my Wraith.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
RSG2 will work in a Wraith, but heat may be an issue depending on where you mount it and how hard you run it. The RSX would be the best choice. Both are extremely smooth on the low end, not cogging at all. I've been very happy with the ROC 412 in my Wraith.
Well I live in AZ where ambient temps will be above 115 in the next few months. You think the Gen2 really isn't a good option then? My Wraith is 8 lbs. I don't have enough pocket change for the RSX, but that is an awesome looking esc.
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I hate to say it but my particular RSGenII was never as smooth as the RS it replaced. I have gotten it to an acceptable state by fiddling with the advance curve. It's actually pretty ok now. Still not as smooth as the RS Pro in my SCX 10 though.

Oh and it's mounted inside a sealed radio shack box for water proofing. Never have had a problem with any of the ESC's in my rigs mounted this way. At least not yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
I hate to say it but my particular RSGenII was never as smooth as the RS it replaced. I have gotten it to an acceptable state by fiddling with the advance curve. It's actually pretty ok now. Still not as smooth as the RS Pro in my SCX 10 though.

Oh and it's mounted inside a sealed radio shack box for water proofing. Never have had a problem with any of the ESC's in my rigs mounted this way. At least not yet.
Try reducing your minimum throttle setting to 0. Also a tick of current limiter can make easing into the car smoother.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I had it at 0 already. The jitters almost sounded like cogging. I tried two different ROC motors and two different sensor wires. The only thing that ended up smoothing it out any was raising the starting rpm of the timing curve.

RS Gen II and 4s? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS Gen 2 cherokee pat Electronics 5 08-26-2013 11:01 AM
First gen 4runner??? turtleone Paint and Body 1 03-24-2013 04:14 PM
gen 1/4 Pegasix General Crawlers 3 09-16-2006 09:48 AM