Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PK problem - going skwewy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Futaba 4PK problem - going skwewy!

I have had it for many years and taken excellent care of it and I love it. Can't imagine a better radio.

I ran my trucks yesterday and it performed flawlessly (as usual). it was cold, but I have used it in colder temps.

Went to the garage to get a little RC fix and the menu was constantly scrolling. Car performed perfectly, but the menu kept rolling. See video.

I did have it in the garage last night (as I usually do) in its carry bag (again, as I usually do) and it was cold - as it has been before. I have it inside warming up with battery disconnected to see if that has anything to do with it.

4PK Problem - YouTube

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dentonmac; 12-08-2013 at 09:32 AM.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Futaba 4PK problem - going skwewy!

Old TX batteries that didn't like the cold? Cold batteries drop in voltage, but if they were down to begin with, the performance drop due to cold may have been too much for them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Old TX batteries that didn't like the cold? Cold batteries drop in voltage, but if they were down to begin with, the performance drop due to cold may have been too much for them.
Thanks Charlie!

Yes, still using the original battery. I will give it a good charge and see what happens. I also have a LiFe battery I bought for it that I will try also.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dentonmac; 12-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just put a full charge on the old tried and true nimhs and tried the new LiFe battery also . Did the same thing.

One thing I did try was to hold down the jog button (or any edit button) when I turn it on and I get the servo screen which is my home screen and can't adjust anything (Still get throttle and steering inputs on the servo view). But, when I release the button it jumps to the Menu 1 screen and starts scrolling again.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would PM Harley (on this forum) with a link to this thread. He may have an idea.

I wonder if you got some condensation in it when it went from cold to inside the house, this could cause an internal short or bridge.
I would leave it unplugged and in a warm spot to dry out (if condensation is the issue).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I would PM Harley (on this forum) with a link to this thread. He may have an idea.

I wonder if you got some condensation in it when it went from cold to inside the house, this could cause an internal short or bridge.
I would leave it unplugged and in a warm spot to dry out (if condensation is the issue).
It was cold and damp yesterday when I was out. It was not raining and kept in on my lanyard the whole time, but it was damp.

Didn't think about getting up with Harley. He is kinda partial to Futabas, ain't he. Thanks. His threads helped so much in setting up the MOA mixing.

Much to my wife's chagrin it is nestled on the dining room table. And will be there for a little bit. I thought bringing it to bed would be asking a little much.

I also email Futaba support about the problem, so I will see what they have to say.

It does sound like there is something going on in the control panel, or something.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks like the switch for the 4-way pad is stuck.
I had something similar happen to one of the buttons near the steering wheel.
I use the big button near the wheel for my dig switch.. Started out, I would hit the button and no dig. Hit it again, good to go..
Then one day, nothing at all.. Turns out the switch went bad. Had to call Futaba and order the board and switches that are under the wheel.
I was able to take apart the radio and swap it out without much trouble.

The other option, call Futaba, and ship it to them. They'll fix it..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thank you Stu.

I really wish there was a 'not like' button, because I would hit it on your response, sir! But unfortunately, I believe that you are correct.

I am going to hang to hear if Futaba support responds or has anything for me.

Then it is decisions, decisions. Pay to have it done, or grow some and do it myself. Hummmmm

Thank you, thank you, most appreciated.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

My apologies on not coming full circle with this, and explaining where I ended up.

Tried everything I could think of and tried every suggestion mentioned here. Same result.

Finally heard from Futaba support and their suggestion was to let it warm up and see what happens. After I did that and responded back, their suggestion was to send it in. I was resigned to do that.

But...what the hell...Stu said it's not that hard, I decided to take it apart first. When I was in there I cleaned all the buttons from the inside and what little dirt was in there. Didn't know what I was really looking at, but didn't see anything wonky. So I put it back together and on a lark, I powered it up.

Works like a charm, and has been ever since. Don't know what I did, but it worked. I must be better than I thought.

Charlie and Stu I really appreciate the support. It means the world.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Glad we could be of assistance good sir..

Some times the mysterious solutions are the best ones..
I will say this, it doesn't take much for the buttons to get stuck, or a little piece of dirt to make them stick.
Some times just a tear down, use some compressed air, and put back together fixes the problem..

I use the push button on the bottom of the steering wheel for my front dig on my comp truck.
The button was sticking and causing problems.
I pulled it apart, and put a piece of a zip-tie in behing the spring to give it a little more leverage, problem fixed..

Have a good one.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote