Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mmp fan runs continuously

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mmp fan runs continuously

The fan on my mmp runs continuously now. Well kind of. When I turn it on it does the fan test. Then after a minute or so the esc heats up and the fan comes on and continues to run. The case is definitely warm too. It seems to be working correctly though. I took the case apart and plugged everything back in and turned it on. The esc is definitely getting very hot so it's not a bad sensor or fan.

I dipped the esc in corrosionx when I first got I and never had any problems until today. I took it out and played in the snow a few times a couple of days ago and didn't have any issues. So when I took it apart today I didn't notice any water or moisture so that is good. I decided to dip it again and see what happens. I let it drip dry off and put a fan to it. Put it back together after a while of drying and turned it on. Ater a minute of being on I noticed it was getting really hot and I could see it burning off the corrosionx even with the esc fan on. I said the hell with it and left it on to see what would happen. It eventually stopped "smoking". Everything continues to function properly but it gets hot just sitting here while turned on and the fan runs most of the time while just sitting still. It will shut off a few times but then turn back on after a minute or so of just sitting still and not being driven at all....

Any thoughts? Its weird everything continues to work properly but its getting hot while just sitting still. Makes me concerned to try and really drive it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Well now it is dead... anyone know how the warranty works or should I just plan on buying a new one... its less then a month old

Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Mmp fan runs continuously

The Corrosion X works as a thermal insulator, so the components will run warmer with it.
Normally in a crawler that shouldn't be enough to get it hot though.
Don't know about the warranty, but I'd be surprised if you get a claim accepted after double-dipping in Corrosion X.

The actual reason for your problems should be known before you try the same stunt again, so:
What rig are you running?
What motor, gearing and battery voltage do you use?
Do you have a separate BEC for the servo?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Its a wraith. Not heavy by any means. Roc412 3100kv geared at 11/56. Using a turnigy 3S 5000. And yes running an external cc bec.

Everytime I drove it (4 times) neither the motor or the esc ever got warm. Heck the cooling fan never came on except for the fan check at startup.

Corrosionx should displace moisture so I figured it would help displace any water that I couldn't see. Thats why I dipped it again. Also the esc will turn back on now but starts getting hot just sitting there. Not sure what to do. I tried hooking it up to castle link but it started making the adapter get really warm so I unplugged it. It never would "connect" anyway

Old 12-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Corrosionx isn't an electronics waterproofing product. When you use a esc that isn't waterproofed in the snow you can expect it to die. I would call castle and explain what you have done and see if they will work with you.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
Corrosionx isn't an electronics waterproofing product. When you use a esc that isn't waterproofed in the snow you can expect it to die. I would call castle and explain what you have done and see if they will work with you.
That was kinda what I was thinking. I put it in a bag of rice last night hoping it might help as I know this often does the trick with cell phones.

Will look into conformal coating a littlw harder now. It just seems everything i have read... everyone has had great results with corrosionx

Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
That was kinda what I was thinking. I put it in a bag of rice last night hoping it might help as I know this often does the trick with cell phones.

Will look into conformal coating a littlw harder now. It just seems everything i have read... everyone has had great results with corrosionx

Yeah lots of people have great luck with using an esc they made water resistant but I don't see the point in risking it when it's just as easy to make an esc waterproof.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

clean it up and send it in they will warranty it. I dipped mine in a puddle and fried it and sent it in and they replaced it no questions.
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
clean it up and send it in they will warranty it. I dipped mine in a puddle and fried it and sent it in and they replaced it no questions.

They have warrantied more of my crap than I can remember. They have a great warranty program for a reason.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm going to spray it off with some electrical degreaser and send it. See what they say... need to get a spare and decide a better way to waterproof I guess

Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

The degreaser made the plastic turn white and brittle. The esc looks pretty rough now so I doubt they will warranty it.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
The degreaser made the plastic turn white and brittle. The esc looks pretty rough now so I doubt they will warranty it.

If you run s or 2s batteries just order a traxxas et-3s esc. It is a re-badged mamba max pro and they sell for 60-80 bucks. The only downfall is that you are limited to up to 3s batteries. Some guys will tell you that they will only run on the tqi radios, but there is a setting in the castle link software (turn off castle link live) you can change and it will run off of any radio on the market. Hell I've got one I'll sell you for 80 plus shipping and I'll make sure it is programmed with the castle link live turned off for you.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
If you run s or 2s batteries just order a traxxas et-3s esc. It is a re-badged mamba max pro and they sell for 60-80 bucks. The only downfall is that you are limited to up to 3s batteries. Some guys will tell you that they will only run on the tqi radios, but there is a setting in the castle link software (turn off castle link live) you can change and it will run off of any radio on the market. Hell I've got one I'll sell you for 80 plus shipping and I'll make sure it is programmed with the castle link live turned off for you.

Or look into the esc out of a Losi SCTE it's also a re-badged MMP.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

They just got my esc in the mail today and i already received an order confirmation email. Not sure if that just means they received my esc or if they are already shipping me a new one out. It said no charge and requested ship date of today but again don't know if that's just a confirmation from when I filled out the info last week as I never got anything emailed to me then.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ok this will boggle most of you but since we're on the topic of MMP's I hooked mine up to Tekin 3500HD Pro4 brand new senior cable and motor but Esc abt 2-3 years old but ran sensored 17.5t before using the Tekin motor in a TC3 no issues for years.

I went and hooked up my Castle Link to change it to drag brake 213% and also double check that it was in sensored mode. I also took out no delay reverse. Then no matter how I calibrate it to my Brxl with cc BEC at 7.4v running a high voltage futaba rx and using a Futaba 4PL.

I rolled back all the software versions even to the first one and I cannot get it to go into full reverse. It would just stutter in reverse and get hot Esc and motor side VERY quickly. Once I remove the sensor cable full throttle and full reverse works fine no delay too.

So then I plug the sensor back in try reverse again plus by now the Esc and motor are cool to the touch. The. It went poof white smoke puffed out for the Esc and it burnt. Can someone explain what happened?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mmp fan runs continuously - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor runs hot! best fan set up? gofaster427 Axial SCX-10 9 03-19-2012 08:23 AM
remove fan MMP keithgemmill Electronics 2 09-10-2010 09:28 PM
MMP fan issues. djjiz Electronics 7 08-09-2010 01:04 PM
ESC fan & heatsink fan wiring question slashbasher Electronics 2 03-25-2010 10:59 PM