Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial NVS weird problem or normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question Axial NVS weird problem or normal?

I installed the NVS on my Axial SCX-10 Jeep Rubicon. It comes on fine and works but whenever I signal left or right I can see my headlights and 5 LED light bar lights flickering or pulsing. Is this normal for the NVS or did I miss something in the wiring?

It is a unique LED controller and lacks a few features but overall I am happy.

Anyone here have some opinions or ideas of why the headlights flicker when the signal lights come on?

Thanks
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial NVS weird problem or normal?

One other note here. I have my steering servo wired with a CC BEC so all that is going to the Axial NVS from the servo is the yellow signal wire, no red or black. I wonder if I have to add a ground wire from the servo to the NVS so it will have two wires, the yellow and black from servo? The NVS works fine other than the flickering headlights and light bar LEDs when I turn the wheels left or right. That makes me think a ground from servo could help?

I also wonder about the ESC power........does it just pass through the NVS? It is the most confusing LED controller. I mean it has power from the main battery directly through the two wires.

The instructions are no help other than how to connect it and I have done that. Just no servo ground to the NVS....so any thoughts?

The servo is grounded through the CC BEC but not into the NVS.....It really is frustrating but nothing major.

The headlights only flicker slightly but noticeably only when wheels turned and orange signal led comes on. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Sorry if I am redundant about what I said.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

my guess is you would need a ground and signal wire to the nvs device.

whenever i make my circuits for my rc projects and i need to read an rx signal but dont need the power wire i still use the ground along with the signal as everything needs to have a common ground for it to work properly as the ground between multiple circuits connected acts as a voltage reference point.

hope that helps,

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Tony. Yes it does make sense to have ground all around, hehehe. I actually bought the Axial SCX-10 Jeep built with the BEC wired directly to the servo and he had + and - from BEC to Servo and just the signal wire to the Rx. I wired the NVS off the battery as he did for the BEC so they share the battery negative side. It kind of sucks I have the rig all neatly finished now. It will be a future task to add that ground wire into the NVS from the servo side. I know it shouldn't be too hard I am just lazy right now. It is almost Kyosho Blizzard weather outside!! Snow fun!!

I think that one wire could make all the difference. For now the lights can dance..lol.

I have youtube videos of the lights. I also have a thread in the SCX-10 section.......It is my girlfriends Jeep or so I am saying that for now
Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would call success on adding the servo ground into the NVS!! I now have a common ground throughout the entire system. The light flicker is almost 100% gone. It must be something in their NVS that causes a very minor flicker now. My OCD is calmed down now. It was easier that I thought to do. I have a wiring nightmare that has been tamed. JOYS!!

What I did was cut the CC BEC ground that goes to the servo and spliced in a wire that connects to the NVS with the signal wire. (Yellow wire). The NVS is weird because you plug your servo and ESC into it then you take the wires from it and connect them to your Rx. Confusing?? Maybe!!! :P

Last edited by ZippoMan; 12-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

glad it has worked out better for you now.

i think you will probably always get some flicker, i have it on a couple of my light circuits especially when i switch my lightbar on, i think its just down to the brief power surge/load increase on the supply when its initially turned on and its just for a fraction of a second, mind you i am switching 24 half watt 5mm led's and the load on the supply gives the quick flicker then its fine, damn bright though lol
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial NVS weird problem or normal? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with NVS system?? SwampDawg Electronics 3 07-26-2012 06:18 PM
Weird Problem mycroft1855 Redcat Crawlers 6 03-04-2012 07:35 AM
Weird problem with my M8 Mongo Electronics 2 08-09-2008 09:42 PM
Weird problem MilesToEmpty General Crawlers 3 01-19-2006 08:52 PM
one really weird problem ttrmike Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 08-20-2005 11:20 AM