Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Power supply for hitec x4 dc questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Power supply for hitec x4 dc questions

Alright guys and gals, I picked up a hitec x4 dc and I need a power supply. I don't know much about power supply's since I've always had one that was AC as well, so never had the need for one. Well since this one is dc only it looks like Ill be purchasing one.

Have done a little looking around and found a couple but not sure what specifically to look for.
Found some that others were using with the x4 but figured I would post and see if someone can give me some more info on power supply's and what would work out good for me or opinions on what you have used before and like or don't like...

I don't need the latest and greatest but I want something good that will work for what I need it to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
And merry Christmas to all!
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Power supply for hitec x4 dc questions

I have the same charger and have used many different PS with it ranging from my Radio shack 15amp and 25 amp units to a solar charging station at our flying field.
Just make sure its a good unit with clean power.

If you are going to be charging only 2-3 cells X4, a 15 amp unit will do. (4 amps per battery X4 at one time). If you are going to be doing larger batteries (X4 at 1 time) then a larger one will be needed. The 4X I have will only charge up to 6 amps per battery so a 25 amp unit will be as large as you will need to go. How often will you be charging 4 batteries at 6 amps each (24 amps)?

End game is, bigger is better, however in reality, how many batteries will you be charging at MAX at ONE TIME?
The true secret is good clean power and enough amps. Some of the real bargain brands or DYI projects may not give you this.

Other things to look for.
Powering more then one charger? Multiple hookups
USB hookup?
Location of the AC cord and banana plugs.

Hope this helps

Links
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCADH&P=ML
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...nt=PowerSupply

Another thing that many people use is a car or marine battery in their shop hooked to a trickle charger.

Last edited by FastEddy; 12-25-2013 at 09:04 AM.
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I don't charge tons and tons , Small 3s and a couple medium size 4s I really don't need anything that will charge 4 at a time but I got it in a trade and needed a charger anyways. I'll prob only charge 2 at at time

And I thought about using my optima car battery on a trickle charge which I may do temp till I get a power supply but I don't want to do that permanent. Just easier for me to buy a PS and have it all set up on my bench
Old 12-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Power supply for hitec x4 dc questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1r3land View Post
I'll prob only charge 2 at at time
Thats what I thought as well.
When your out at a comp or with friends its amazing how many people want to either hook up to your PS or use your charger. Then I got into flying and found myself charging 4 at 1 time. Best to be prepared to use what you have to its limits

IMO Buy once, buy good.....
It costs less in the long run.
FastEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddy View Post
Thats what I thought as well. When your out at a comp or with friends its amazing how many people want to either hook up to your PS or use your charger. Then I got into flying and found myself charging 4 at 1 time. Best to be prepared to use what you have to its limits IMO Buy once, buy good.....
Oh yea I agree, I want to buy something that will last as long as I need it to, as well as work and preform like i need it to.

I don't want to buy cheap but don't want to buy the most expensive thing either if it's not needed or is an overkill.

I appreciate the links and info and will be looking into them and reading about them.

Thank you!

Power supply for hitec x4 dc questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger TwistedXT Electronics 166 05-22-2019 07:28 PM
DC power supply theslowguy Electronics 3 04-01-2009 01:18 PM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM