Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default need help please

I building two scx10's at the same time,and I got two AE-2 esc's, one has Tekin Heavy Duty 35t and it reverses, the other AE-2 has Tekin hand wound 35t and it will not go into reverse, I got a castle link with the latest version, they are both set the same, they both calibrate with the radio on and throttle pulled, turn on esc, they both due the forward and reverse and neutral setup then it goes back to normal, pull the trigger the light turns green and it moves forward, go to neutral then reverse the motor moves about a thousandth of a inch and stops and light is solid red and will stay that way as long as I hold trigger, not flashing, the motor spins freely in either direction, and if you reverse the wires on the motor it will go in a reverse direction, put the wires back to normal it goes forward and no reverse and red light comes on solid, just like the other esc does but it goes into reverse. So is it me, am I missing some thing, I can't figure it, can some please tell me how to figure it.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: need help please

Are these on two different radios?

Same radio but different profiles?

On the truck that won't reverse, if you do a second tap into reverse does it then go backwards? (ie... AE-1 ESC, or Traxxas XL-5)

If you're dealing with two separate radios, on the truck that won't reverse, does that radio have an ABS setting that needs to be turned off?

And you're pretty sure the 'Reverse Type' is set similarly on both ESCs?

EPAs all at 100% both ways on both radio throttles?

One isn't set to 50/50, and the other at 70/30 on the throttles, are they?

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

does the 35T THD work fine with either esc. ?

if so... that isolates it to the 35T THW
^ does that fail when used in both esc's ?

possibly the end bell screws have come loose
and this could cause the timing to be too far advanced ?
there should be timing marks visible.

are the brushes and springs in good order ?

no hang up with the brushes/leads ?

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 12-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

same radio, two separate profiles that you can switch too, two separate rigs, both are brand new esc's and motors, the one with the hand would motor will not reverse, but if you reverse the wires to motor the truck spins in reverse, So I don't think it motors
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ok I put both scx10's side by side and plugged the esc from the Jeep in the Honcho and got no reverse, but if you plug the esc from the Honcho into the Jeep it reverses, the Honcho has a Tekin Heavy duty 35t, the Jeep has a it Tekin Hand Wound 35t silver can, grey sticker, wasn't cheap, so I'm glad it not the motors, yeah just bad esc, I going runs until smokes or until get another one plus maybe a couple of spares, my two wraiths got AE-2's and another Tekin Heavy Duty 35t in one and a Holmes Hobbies Pro 35t the faster one, in my basher wraith. so that's four AE-2's and three reverse, one doesn't and I don't get it. cause with castle link there both set the same, same values, both reversed brushed, defaults loaded, then I change one of the settings and updated to see if it kept the changes and it did, so then reset the defaults, and tried it again no luck, so I don't get it.

Last edited by kgb424; 12-28-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

1-Are all the ESC firmwares the same? If not, make them the same (I use 1.28 in my crawlers).
2-You can save the settings from a working ESC and then load it into the ESC with issues. After loading it up, recalibrate it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hey Charlie-III I don't get it, there both version 1.04, and there is no updates for the firmware, so I do not get it, how did you get version 1.28, how is that possible. I copied the settings from the one with reverse, and loaded them into the one with out reverse and still does the same thing, and I have spare motors it won't reverse them either, so I'm think its the esc or some thing with soft ware, its beyond me.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Hey Charlie-III I don't get it, there both version 1.04, and there is no updates for the firmware, so I do not get it, how did you get version 1.28, how is that possible. I copied the settings from the one with reverse, and loaded them into the one with out reverse and still does the same thing, and I have spare motors it won't reverse them either, so I'm think its the esc or some thing with soft ware, its beyond me.
I may be adding confusion, I run firmware version 1.28 in my Castle ESC's, not sure what AE-2's can run.
I agree it sounds like an ESC issue.

CC firmware versions... Castle Creations / CC firmware updates (CCLink & CC ESC's).... what are they...

Last edited by Charlie-III; 12-29-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ok I also have two AE-3 esc's which are Castle Vanguards for brushless motors. So I plugged them, in one a time to my Castle Link and they were both version 1.34, and it said version 1.39 beta was available, so I updated the firmware on both of them, So I don't get, there are updates for the brushless esc's, but nothing for brushed esc's, or my esc's are screwed up and won't pick up the firmware updates.

Last edited by kgb424; 12-31-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

and I use version V3.56.17 of the Castle Link software, I reinstalled V3.53.13 after a recent reformat of my desktop, and it updated to V3.56.17, Can some one else please post there version of firmware, cause I want to see if there more versions than 1.04, for a AE-2 esc.