Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery help please??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #1

Default battery help please??

A friend gave me 2 turnigy 2 cell 5000 mha hard case batteries. I needed to change the connection to Deans plugs, so I cut each wire separately soldered it up, all good?
No when I connect it to a charger it comes up with a connection break.
I have put it in a car and it goes fine. I have a cell tester that plugs into the balance cable, it reads both cells as charged. It does give a funny balance reading but then reads good both cells.
Why wont my charger charge? I have two charges same result on both.
Have re-soldered the connection still the same.
I'm lost am I just a s&%t solderer or is there a problem I'm missing?

Last edited by threedogs; 12-29-2013 at 10:29 PM.
threedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: battery help please??

Possible broken balance wire. When you have the tester plugged into the balance connector, bend the wires around and keep your eye on the readings. A broken wire will prevent the charger from starting.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Possible broken balance wire. When you have the tester plugged into the balance connector, bend the wires around and keep your eye on the readings. A broken wire will prevent the charger from starting.
+1.... the error you're getting is likely from the balance plug, NOT the Deans connection.

Try a charge without the balance plug connected & do a plain LiPO charge, not a balance charge.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Check the balancer port adapter as we'll. I have a hitec x4 and one of the balance port adapters fried the 3 cell connection on it. I move it to another adapter and all is good!
lala4fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Tried a straight charge, no balance port connected same result?
Anymore ideas?
Just to make things interesting, it will charge through the balance port. Found an old charger I got with my "Twin Hammers" it charges it Ok so far.
I'll keep you posted and try to nut it out. My next door neighbour is a bit of an electronics wiz. Ill bash his brain with the problem.

THANK YOU so much for your reply's its great to have the help of a wonderful community when you need it.

Last edited by threedogs; 12-29-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
Why wont my charger charge? I have two charges same result on both.
It might help if we know which charger you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala4fire View Post
Check the balancer port adapter as we'll. I have a hitec x4 and one of the balance port adapters fried the 3 cell connection on it. I move it to another adapter and all is good!
Just an FYI. You can plug directly into the balance port on the X4. No need for the adapter.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #7

I am using a RT 808D it's a multicharger and it's about 4 years old. By "multi" it does different battery types not multiple batteries.
The Vaterra charger indicates that the battery is fully charged. I'm gunna chuck it in my Blitz for a minute. Burn some amps and try again.
Guy next door said that the voltage in one cell may have been low so the charger failed to recognize it.
Again thank you for your help. I love this sight just wish I knew half as much as you guys so I could repay the favour.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #8

Got on to a guy who did battery stuff for the Navy here in Australia. He has explained to me that the fault is in the way the cell are wired. They charge in parallel but discharge in series. So the fault is in the series circuit (I THINK). Anyway for the sake of getting an answer we are going to crack it open and run some tests. And attempt a repair.
Will try to get a blow by blow with pics for those who are interested.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Man you have patience!!! I would've just shitcanned it and bought a new one.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Do you have another charger to try out?
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
Got on to a guy who did battery stuff for the Navy here in Australia. He has explained to me that the fault is in the way the cell are wired. They charge in parallel but discharge in series. So the fault is in the series circuit (I THINK). Anyway for the sake of getting an answer we are going to crack it open and run some tests. And attempt a repair.
Will try to get a blow by blow with pics for those who are interested.
If you do a straight charge (no balance charge selected, no balance port connected) the battery will charge in a "series mode". Sorta rules out what the Navy guy said.
If the balance port is connected (regardless if you select straight charge or balance charge) then the charger will check each cell voltage as well as total voltage (vs. cell count you selected). If something is "out of spec", you will get your error.
I've had balance wires break at the cell & get the same error as you. I then do a straight charge through the pack main plug (balance port disconnected) and it charges fine.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

battery help please?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery question...yes, I read the battery thread...twice... MikeTJ Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 06-07-2011 07:44 PM
UK Version please - LOSB0862 Battery Charger & Battery. newth Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 05-26-2010 01:38 AM
Finding bad battery cells in a battery pack. ToTheMAXXcrawler Electronics 9 02-04-2010 10:14 AM