Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New decased BRXL problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New decased BRXL problem.

Hi all, I need some help trouble shooting an issue I had today. Went out to do some scaling and ran my Jk for a while when the Brxl stopped working after a battery change.

I have a GCM Cross Canyon chassis with the motor and tranny up front. Motor is a Brood 35t Vapor that I just rebuilt. Battery is a single 3600 3s. She ran fine for quite a while, maybe an hour, to an hour and a half. I let the rig sit for around 15 min. I went to plug in another 12.5v 3s battery and the Brxl acted like it wasn't communicating with the rx. I went to setup the rx to esc and it failed several times. I only have steering and no throttle, forward or backward.

Any ideas. Thanks.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New decased BRXL problem.

Swap the servo into the RX port 2, see if the throttle trigger moves the servo. If not, it's a radio issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

What type of radio system are you using?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am having an issue as well, brand new never used BR-XL. Fully charged nimh battery. I am not getting any servo or motor movement. All I am getting is beeping with flashing green and orange lights. Using stock redcat rs10 radio, not 2.4 . Please help. Also I pulled the red wire to the receiver as directions indicated and taped up with electrical tape.

Last edited by redcatkrawler; 12-29-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: missing information
redcatkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

redkat, what are you powering the Rx with?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcatkrawler View Post
I am having an issue as well, brand new never used BR-XL. Fully charged nimh battery. I am not getting any servo or motor movement. All I am getting is beeping with flashing green and orange lights. Using stock redcat rs10 radio, not 2.4 . Please help. Also I pulled the red wire to the receiver as directions indicated and taped up with electrical tape.
The only reason to pull the red wire is if your running dual speed controllers and in that case you only need one speed controller to power the receiver. The only other reason to pull the red wire is if you have an aux power source for the receiver. If all you have is one speed controller put the red wire back in as its what's powering your receiver. Reset your radio calibration to the speed controller and it should work just fine.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Fixed with red wire. Thank you.
redcatkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

@stelerzman

i have one that does that every now and then.. try plugging it in then wait a sec unplug and plug back in.. like do it twice and see if it arms.. its normally a motor issue. mine was a timeing issue on the motor. sounds dumb but weird shit happens lol.. my esc still doing it after a year.. i just plug and unplug, and replug till it arms.. then it works.. over a year old still fine
Zeks05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
What type of radio system are you using?
I'm running an mx3, Airtronics. With is radio I was running it for an hour +. Only thing that changed was the battery.

Last edited by stelerzman; 12-30-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
I'm running an mx3, Airtronics. With this radio I was running it for an hour +. Only thing that changed was the battery.
Did you try swapping the RX port as I asked? If so, what happened?
Did you try another battery?
Did you check for cold solder joints to the ESC?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Did you try swapping the RX port as I asked? If so, what happened?
Did you try another battery?
Did you check for cold solder joints to the ESC?
I'm at work now, so I'll try changing the RX ports tonight. I did change batteries and check them for voltage and still nothing. Also checked for cold solder joints and loose and or broken wires. This makes no sense. Running great one minute and not at all the next time.
I thought about programming the esc back to default setting and going from there, I just haven't done it yet. Do ya think this might work?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm running an mx3, Airtronics. With is radio I was running it for an hour +. Only thing that changed was the battery.
The reason I asked is I used to have the same problem with my Wraith on Spektrum gear. BRXL - 3S - HH motor. Like Zeks05, I would have to plug and unplug several times for the ESC to arm. I came up with this conclusion (right or wrong)...I figured the Spektrum Rx was just slower to initialize than the BRXL, so after a season of scratching my head and running with it that way, I went into the setup with the Castle Link and changed the arm time for the ESC up a tad.

Can't tell you that is the absolute fix in your case, but mine's been fine ever since.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
The reason I asked is I used to have the same problem with my Wraith on Spektrum gear. BRXL - 3S - HH motor. Like Zeks05, I would have to plug and unplug several times for the ESC to arm. I came up with this conclusion (right or wrong)...I figured the Spektrum Rx was just slower to initialize than the BRXL, so after a season of scratching my head and running with it that way, I went into the setup with the Castle Link and changed the arm time for the ESC up a tad.

Can't tell you that is the absolute fix in your case, but mine's been fine ever since.
That's an interesting idea, thanks Solitaire, I'll try after other ideas don't solve the problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I just got home, so it looks like tomorrow is the best time to check this issue out
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just tried switching the servo plug to the throttle channel and the servo move L&R. This tells me the rx is working properly. I switched the plugs back to the correct channel and pulled the throttle and no movement. The esc lights up green when I pull and when I push the throttle the esc lights up red. As far as I know this is what's suspose to happen.

Right?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

yup, that means it's getting the correct signal, do you have a voltmeter to check the output of the esc? i would try another motor just in case.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
yup, that means it's getting the correct signal, do you have a voltmeter to check the output of the esc? i would try another motor just in case.
Yes I do have a voltmeter, I'll check when I get home. Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Well this is disturbing, I just checked the output voltage on the esc, here are the readings.
Forward = 12.10volts and reverse = 9.8 volt. I do have the reverse backed down, so the #'s look to be correct. My problem is the motor. Anyway, I'll solder up a different motor and see what happens.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Good news, try any motor just to be sure, sounds like a brush or bad wire in the winding
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well this is disturbing, I just checked the output voltage on the esc, here are the readings.
Forward = 12.10volts and reverse = 9.8 volt. I do have the reverse backed down, so the #'s look to be correct. My problem is the motor. Anyway, I'll solder up a different motor and see what happens.
Pull on the wire going into the brush hood that is attached to the brush and let the spring snap the brush back. It sounds like you might have a hung brush.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote