RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Max safe voltage for servo (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/475975-max-safe-voltage-servo.html)

Elmo 12-31-2013 06:12 AM

Max safe voltage for servo

I just got a CC Bec as a stocking stuffer and I want to use it in my scx10. I am running a TowerPro MG996r servo and I want to set the voltage through my castlelink as high as safely possible to get the best performance out of the servo that I can. I know that it is rated for 6v but if I can get away with setting it higher, I would like to do that. I run either 6c NiMH or 2s Lipo so I have a little headroom above 6v to play with. Thanks in advance!

stelerzman 12-31-2013 06:53 AM

Re: Max safe voltage for servo

Sense your only running 2s lipo, I'd set the bec to 6v. Done.

jaloos 12-31-2013 07:42 AM

Yup I wouldn't push that servo past the 6V rated probably wouldn't handle it too well.

josh6575 12-31-2013 07:52 AM

No matter the particular servo use the range provided by the manufacturer.

M1tch 12-31-2013 08:53 AM

I run an MG996R as winch on 7.4 volts through a castle bec, no problem.. However I have removed the circuit board and use a boat thruster esc as controller. The motor may be fine on 7.4, it could be the circuit board may not like it.

Riddler6.7 12-31-2013 09:23 AM

I've been running mine at 7.4v for a while now on my night crawler without issues. Its cheap enough to me that I'm not too worried about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Riddler6.7 12-31-2013 09:28 AM

Mines actually the mg946r now that I think about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Olle P 01-01-2014 09:38 AM

I generally recommend using the Servo Database to find servo data.
Remember that the voltages are given as "nominal battery voltage" and thus have a good margin upwards.
(6.0V for example reads "7.0V with a fully charged battery".)

Trubble 01-01-2014 10:10 AM

I ran my stock AS-2 servo at 7.0 volts, was plenty quick, but didn't last very long.
That 996 is listed as analog, so it may be a little bit more forgiving, but I don't think you'll see much 'increase in performance' if you surpass 6.0 volts.

Elmo 01-01-2014 04:55 PM

I set the voltage through castlelink at 6.0v. I am going to wire it in tomorrow, but I want to know what steps I need to take to waterproof the bec before I permanently install it into the chassis. I have plastidipped the servo and esc and I am using a traxxas stampede 4x4 rx box for the receiver. Should I dip the bec as well or does it already have a coating on the board?

Meatwad 01-01-2014 05:32 PM

Same here recommending 6v, the board won't like much more than that. The motor can take it as a servo winch though, as was mentioned. For waterproofing the bec I usually coat each end of it with plasti dip a couple times and done.

Elmo 01-02-2014 03:06 PM

Got everything hooked up and tested and it seems to work fine. I bypassed the rx and powered the servo directly from the bec. I can tell a difference already in how the servo is running. All I need to do now is find someone to solder the battery connections on the esc for me and I will be set. Tiny soldering jobs like that used to be easy for me years ago when I worked for radioshack, but now that my sight is nearly gone, I can't safely do those things anymore.