Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need help on a problem with a axial ar-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Angry I need help on a problem with a axial ar-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest).

Hello,
I have the ridgecrest and after my build on it I decided to drive so here is what happened: I plugged my battery in and turn on the esc it ran good but then I started to put the body on and it started to "glitch" forward and backward by itself. Then it lost connection with the receiver, no I wasn't touching anything except the body through this whole process, and yes I attempted to re-bind the receiver, still nothing!! So is my receiver toast? Here is my set-up right know:
- Axial ar-3 system (stock)
- axial ae-2 esc (stock)
- axial 55t motor
- Gens ace 5000 mah 2s 65c lipo
- CC 10 amp BEC
- Savox servo 486.1 oz torque at 6.0v (Don't have model # now!!)
So this happened on my wraith as well, and I ended up replacing the receiver. Now when I turn the thing on it beeps (looking for transmitter) and the green/red lights flash on the esc. Im thinking the stock receiver couldnt handle the power from a BEC, if otherwise please let me know. My battery was fully charged (its not the battery). Sorry for the long thread I just need to figure this out, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
KMS
Rock Crawler

Default Re: I need help on a problem with a axial ar-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest).

Did you get your Radio's mixed up
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: I need help on a problem with a axial ar-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest).

unplug the steering servo, then try it. i have seen a bunch of weird stuff happen when a digital servo is going bad.
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

We're assuming you have calibrated the ESC to the RX in each rig?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

btw.. if you are only running 2s, why the bec on a ae2 esc? that could be the monkeywrench in the works
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Did any leads get smashed? Did you remember to unplug the red lead from the esc or isolate the two (bec and esc) circuits?
shakemandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Did you get your Radio's mixed up
No I didn't get the radios mixed up
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
unplug the steering servo, then try it. i have seen a bunch of weird stuff happen when a digital servo is going bad.
Well its a brand new Savox and it works just fine, but I'll try unplugging it
Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
btw.. if you are only running 2s, why the bec on a ae2 esc? that could be the monkeywrench in the works
Because my servo has 486 oz. I have been told that I need a BEC if a servo is over 200 oz. So the BEC is needed for this setup
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

when im chasing electrical gremlins i like to be sure what isnt the problem, if parts x and y are good then it has to be z right?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakemandril View Post
Did any leads get smashed? Did you remember to unplug the red lead from the esc or isolate the two (bec and esc) circuits?
Well I'll check the leads later but what I did was take a 3 inch esc extension and cut the red wire I think the brand of the esc extension wire is JR sports or something like that. Like I said the truck was working great for a little while then all of sudden it didn't find the transmitter so I might just buy a traxxas tq-I, yes there not as good as spektrum or futaba but I'm not buying anything over 50.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

TQ radio is not too bad. Hope your issue gets worked out.
shakemandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Because my servo has 486 oz. I have been told that I need a BEC if a servo is over 200 oz. So the BEC is needed for this setup
Ideally, you'll want to run the servo directly off the BEC and not run all your electronics through the Rx. The high torque Savox's are a bit amp hungry and the lightweight electronics in the Rx's aren't really designed for big amp pulls.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

What Solitaire said. The receiver isn't designed for the kinds of amperage draw from high torque servos.

So if you have your servo plugged into the receiver, and the BEC also plugged into the receiver I'm betting that you need a receiver.

Next time try wiring the BEC directly to the servo power wires, and then just allow the esc's BEC to power the receiver in the normal fashion.

Does anyone know if the cheapo Fly Sky 3 channel receiverw will work with the stock Axial radios? I only ask cause the Axial Radio looks like a GT2.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I need help on a problem with a axial AR-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
What Solitaire said. The receiver isn't designed for the kinds of amperage draw from high torque servos.

So if you have your servo plugged into the receiver, and the BEC also plugged into the receiver I'm betting that you need a receiver.

Next time try wiring the BEC directly to the servo power wires, and then just allow the ESC's BEC to power the receiver in the normal fashion.

Does anyone know if the cheapo Fly Sky 3 channel receiver will work with the stock Axial radios? I only ask cause the Axial Radio looks like a GT2.
+1.

If the servo is a "high voltage" servo, you can run the power to it direct from the ESC input @ 2S LiPO power.
Yes, you can use the external BEC if need be. Either one works.

As mentioned, I always run my external BEC direct to the servo & let the ESC BEC power the RX.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

Does anyone know if the cheapo Fly Sky 3 channel receiverw will work with the stock Axial radios? I only ask cause the Axial Radio looks like a GT2.
Yes, it works flawlessly with them, because the AX-3 is a rebranded flysky GT2. The AR-3 is also cross compatible with the GT3B, the GT3C and the GT2.
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Alright good news guys, I took the receiver out and messed around with the wires by unplugging them and checking to see if they are damaged, so I double-checked everything and the system works now, maybe it was a loose wire so its all good know. Then I rebinded the receiver and calibrated the esc, works like a champ. Thank you guys for all of the help and support, I apperciate it - axial 4x4 crawler

I need help on a problem with a axial ar-3 and ae-2 set-up (ridgecrest). - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Crawler Innovations Ridgecrest / Wraith Delrin Link Set GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark Axial AX10 2nd-gen 67 10-19-2013 08:37 AM
Is this set-up ok for an axial ax-10 ridgecrest? axial 4x4 crawler Axial AX10 2nd-gen 19 07-25-2013 09:26 AM
Problem with Ridgecrest.... Tjones87 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 10 04-28-2013 03:31 PM
Ridgecrest Problem cwoods333 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 1 03-10-2013 06:58 PM