Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH electronics simultaneously failing...... need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default HH electronics simultaneously failing...... need help!

So I was driving my scx10 a short time after putting it together I was driving in the snow, but my BRXL is water proof. First my torque master 35T burns up, upon inspection, I discovered the winding had come unwound, locking up the motor and sending up a fury of smoke. I do not have pictures because I sent it off almost 2 weeks ago and have received no word on its condition. I replaced the motor with a HH 27T Eco motor, not sure on its exact name, which burned up soon afterwards. This time my esc has quit working and shows no signs of power. Even though it sat in the package for almost 2 months Before being opened, (my dad ordered early to get it while in stock before Christmas) And having little over an hour of runtime on it, it burns up? Wtf ? I am running 4s, but it is supposedly rated for 6s. With no single 540 limit. I was only running one motor. It is out of warranty. I don't know wtf I'm supposed to do with it now other than wonder why it happened?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Pgambardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HH electronics simultaneously failing...... need help!

4s eh? Were you geared down pretty good? What is your gearing?
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

15/87, cold weather or just a defective water proof esc, idk motor can be rebuilt, esc can't. It does not make sense to me.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

5.8 Seems like a pretty good ratio to me. Have you contacted Holmes through his website? His stuff is quality and he takes care of people.

I had several of his BRXL's completely submerged many times without issue. Keep in mind that even though brushed motors can be run in water and muck, it does accelerate their demise unless religiously maintained.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default HH electronics simultaneously failing...... need help!

I have contacted him but between Christmas and New Years I have not received a reply, I have had several motors of all brands burn up on 3 and 4 cells, the HH has held up the best. I was just concerned about the esc because I have never had anything like this happen before, and it is more expensive than the motor and cannot be rebuilt. I am by no means disappointed. I understand that 4s is a lot for these things to handle, But as I mentioned have never seen this before.

Sent from my iPod touch using [

URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Last edited by Pgambardella; 01-02-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sounds like you have something dragging in the drive train..

Axles that have a bad bearing, drive shaft that is binding... Something like that..

Just out of curiosity do you have OD/UD gears in the axles?
I toasted a motor because the drivetrain was constantly binding, because of the OD/UD gears.
I switched to UD/UD and the problem went away, immediately..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Sounds like you have something dragging in the drive train..

Axles that have a bad bearing, drive shaft that is binding... Something like that..

Just out of curiosity do you have OD/UD gears in the axles?
I toasted a motor because the drivetrain was constantly binding, because of the OD/UD gears.
I switched to UD/UD and the problem went away, immediately..
OD/UD is not the cause, if it were I'd have burned up a bunch of motors over the last two years.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

My guess is that driving through snow with a 27t on 4s that you literally won't be able to gear it low enough not to smoke the motor. You probably killed the brxl with a dead short in the motor. I love brushed motors but my snow rig runs brushless.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the input guys, my final assumption is that hot ridding around in the snow on a 4s is what killed it. By the way I still have the stock differential gearing, whatever it may be.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i have a HH torquemaster here that im not useing.. Do u want it? to get ya back out on the trail?
Zeks05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

What is it? And how much am I gonna have to drop for it?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

13t Motor.. i dont have a esc. PM me for price
Zeks05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Default Re: HH electronics simultaneously failing...... Starting to get ridiculous...

My dad dug out another BRXL from his tool box today, it only had reverse after I plugged it into my rig, after leaving the 4s plugged in for a time, the biggest plume of smoke I have ever seen came out of it. I am begging to wonder what I'm doing wrong, it is odbviousley not a coinsidence. Has anybody else ever questioned the quality of these things? If so than I am no longer a customer of Holmes'.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I think the 4s if asking a little much out of a brushed motor. I will say I ran 4s through Tekin Esc's on my Brood motors for years without any motor issues ( and by no issues I mean NO issues, never cleaned, turned a comm or even replaced a brush, I would say I am the exception not the rule, however) . But if your looking for the kind of speed a 27t motor gives you on 4s your best bet might be brushless. Are you running a BEC? If not I honestly would lay most to all of the blame on that for the ESC's burning up. All though I heard HH had some issues with keeping the magic smoke in some of his newest esc's for a bit. Heard it could be fixed with a firmware upgrade or breaking a trace on one of the boards, but I am not sure it is applicable to your esc's that burned up or even if it was truly a problem.

HH should get back to you, but with the holidays I would give it a little extra time.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Default Re: HH electronics simultaneously failing...... Starting to get ridiculous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgambardella View Post
My dad dug out another BRXL from his tool box today, it only had reverse after I plugged it into my rig, after leaving the 4s plugged in for a time, the biggest plume of smoke I have ever seen came out of it. I am begging to wonder what I'm doing wrong, it is odbviousley not a coinsidence. Has anybody else ever questioned the quality of these things? If so than I am no longer a customer of Holmes'.

Did you happen to wire the battery backwards?
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
There's literally thousands of BRXL's out in the field and I haven't seen an issue mentioned on these forums. There may be, but I haven't read one. I personally run several in various rigs, albeit on 2 and 3S and not 4S.

There has to be something else at issue here.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You really should post some pics of your wiring setup... so we can at least rule out the obvious things
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I assume since I told you the motor probably wiped out you last brxl you changed the motor first, right?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I assume since I told you the motor probably wiped out you last brxl you changed the motor first, right?
I doubt it lol
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Uclabruins is right, and no I don't have an external bec.

HH electronics simultaneously failing...... need help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
how often are your pc's failing/running poorly? thecrusader Chit Chat 25 11-11-2009 12:18 AM
Damn Lockers Keep Failing! Vendors Please Make Steel Ones! kawika Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 01-27-2008 08:18 PM