Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13T died today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13T died today

Ok so I am out on a small trail run today and my motor just randomly dies and wont start up unless a little push is given and then it will go until I let off the throttle then nothing. It has new silver brushes, single X springs. it was pulled apart and inspected by the guys at Dinky RC and still there is no obvious reason it wont start under its own but will run with a push. Looking at it again I can stop the pinion from spinning and and the motor makes this weird buzzing/arching noise I guess I have to send this motor in and the what has come undone internally. No, it's not the esc I checked it's performance with 2 different motors one of them being a HH torquemaster 27T with a egg shaped comm. I am starting to wonder about volume over quality, something is going on in the kitchen down there.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13T died today

I put a old stock axial 20T motor in with the same gearing and dropped down to 2s pack and the rig is a lot faster. It is running way better and has me wondering if this motor ever ran right, 13T crawlmaster sport on e 3s slower than a axial 20T on 2S with the same gearing,same rig something is not right
Old 01-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Speaking of volume over quality...you bought the SPORT...that is exactly what you got. If you want the best quality you have to pay for it and buy a EXPERT or a PRO. The sport is made to order for HH and sent to you with no inspection other than probably a quick once over external look done to it. The Expert and Pro motors are fully taken down and inspected, tested and broken in before they are sent to you. Either way i'm sure HH will take care of the problem. Thats just a chance you take when buying cheaper motor as compared to the above mentioned motors.

RE: your speed comparison of your Axial 20T vs your HH CM 13T you have to consider the Axial is a 3 pole armature compared to the CM which is a 5 pole armature. Even though the 13T CM has a lower turn it has a much lower KV than say a 3 pole 13T. I'm just guessing but your Axial motor is probably around 3200KV while the CM is around 2100KV. If you multiply these KV's by the battery voltage you get the motors RPM's and the Axial should be a bit faster.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
Speaking of volume over quality...you bought the SPORT...that is exactly what you got. If you want the best quality you have to pay for it and buy a EXPERT or a PRO. The sport is made to order for HH and sent to you with no inspection other than probably a quick once over external look done to it. The Expert and Pro motors are fully taken down and inspected, tested and broken in before they are sent to you. Either way i'm sure HH will take care of the problem. Thats just a chance you take when buying cheaper motor as compared to the above mentioned motors.

RE: your speed comparison of your Axial 20T vs your HH CM 13T you have to consider the Axial is a 3 pole armature compared to the CM which is a 5 pole armature. Even though the 13T CM has a lower turn it has a much lower KV than say a 3 pole 13T. I'm just guessing but your Axial motor is probably around 3200KV while the CM is around 2100KV. If you multiply these KV's by the battery voltage you get the motors RPM's and the Axial should be a bit faster.

So what you are saying is I bought an entry level motor and should not be surprised it failed with in the first 10 packs? Sir I don't think that is what's really going on here ,but I am waiting on a custom pro 11T arm for the torquemaster . When it ever gets here I'll have to see if there is a noticeable quality difference in the arms. This motor is going back since it is still very new

Last edited by realsickclown; 01-05-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Your 13T likely has what is called "armature stall" which is usually a bad winding in the motor (open or shorted). If the comm segment attached to the winding gets a brush on it when the motor stops, it won't restart. A little push on the rig gets the bad segment away from the brush and it works again.
You can't always see/test for this condition other than what you have already seen.
The fix is, rewind that arm, replace that arm or get another motor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok that makes sense. I am boxing up this motor now and emailing John now letting him know its on its way.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

just cause it is new, does not mean it is good....I have installed a brand new alt on a car that was bad and had to get another one....just the way the cookie crumbles ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post

have you seen this sir?
"The CrawlMaster Sport 540 is great for budget minded crawling without buying a cheap throw away motor. They get the job done and cost a fraction of other motors! These are the BEST value on the market, offering quality not matched by others for the price" Direct from the HH website.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post
have you seen this sir?
"The CrawlMaster Sport 540 is great for budget minded crawling without buying a cheap throw away motor. They get the job done and cost a fraction of other motors! These are the BEST value on the market, offering quality not matched by others for the price" Direct from the HH website.

I don't think he or anyone is trying to knock you for buying an entry level motor. They are a great motor and better than a throw away because it can be repaired rebuilt etc unlike a cheap sealed can motor. I think all he's trying to say is that since it's not fully inspected and torn down etc like HH others are, that failures can and will happen.

You even posted what the OP was trying to say. "for budget minded crawling" "They get the job done" "BEST value for the price" which is all good, and knowing its going back to the best motor guru around its well worth the investment of a few extra bucks over the others.

Electronics are well electronics and will break without warning for reasons that no one will ever know. You can have parts bad right out of he box (as stated above) and all you can do is take it on the chin and send it in. I'm sure He will get you handled and get your motor back up and running, but you can't really blame him for its problems when it's not a unit they build and inspect. Again I'm sure HH will get you taken care of its just a bummer when your rig is down and you want to run.

--Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95; 01-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Oh I understand clearly. That is why when these motors died I upgraded them to PRO custom winds. Also I am sending them in for the upgrade incase the damage was more than just the arm. Your right about being down, cause the Bronco was looking good,but hey at least I got towed out of the trails by DinkyRC, that was fun!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
I don't think he or anyone is trying to knock you for buying an entry level motor. They are a great motor and better than a throw away because it can be repaired rebuilt etc unlike a cheap sealed can motor. I think all he's trying to say is that since it's not fully inspected and torn down etc like HH others are, that failures can and will happen.

You even posted what the OP was trying to say. "for budget minded crawling" "They get the job done" "BEST value for the price" which is all good, and knowing its going back to the best motor guru around its well worth the investment of a few extra bucks over the others.

Electronics are well electronics and will break without warning for reasons that no one will ever know. You can have parts bad right out of he box (as stated above) and all you can do is take it on the chin and send it in. I'm sure He will get you handled and get your motor back up and running, but you can't really blame him for its problems when it's not a unit they build and inspect. Again I'm sure HH will get you taken care of its just a bummer when your rig is down and you want to run.

--Dan
Actually, pretty sure cox WAS knocking him for buying the cheaper motor. Sort of a dousche elitist post. Guess i should've expected my 1911 to explode in my hand, since i didn't buy the stainless model.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
Actually, pretty sure cox WAS knocking him for buying the cheaper motor. Sort of a dousche elitist post. Guess i should've expected my 1911 to explode in my hand, since i didn't buy the stainless model.
I know quite a few guys on here he may fit in with if that's the case
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I don't know him from Peter or Paul so I'm not sure how he meant it and wasn't trying to stir the pot. I know he also has a HH sport model motor and was having some issues so I assumed he was just giving his opinion based on personal experiences and possible research. Either way hopefully you get things handled and get to go have fun on the trails!!

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Whoa! Take it easy guys. I wasn't "knocking" anyone at all! I think the CMS is a great motor and have had nothing but good luck with mine so far. I should have just posted a link to this video instead of trying to explain.

LINK:
Poison Spyder Wraith - Holmes Hobbies Motor - Week 8 - Budget Build - YouTube
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yea I'm waiting on a response from HolmesHobbies, then I'm mailing it out. So hopefully he gets back to me soon. Then I'll have a couple of PRO MOTORS then I should be good to go to the race's .
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Go ahead and ship it and include your email so we can contact you. Probably have a broken wire or a really dirty comm. I would also recommend against silver brushes, it wears the comm faster and will pack the segments and cause shorts. Basically the silver brushes need more work to keep the motor running.

The 13t crawlmaster is about the speed of a 27t.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Go ahead and ship it and include your email so we can contact you. Probably have a broken wire or a really dirty comm. I would also recommend against silver brushes, it wears the comm faster and will pack the segments and cause shorts. Basically the silver brushes need more work to keep the motor running.

The 13t crawlmaster is about the speed of a 27t.
Can I send both of my motors in at the same time as described in the email I sent to your storefront?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Of course!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Dang it, I wanted to catch today's mail and shipped just the one.

Edit: well that is ok anyhow, in the mailbox today is the new torquemaster pro arm I ordered.

Last edited by realsickclown; 01-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post
Dang it, I wanted to catch today's mail and shipped just the one.

Edit: well that is ok anyhow, in the mailbox today is the new torquemaster pro arm I ordered.
If you're in KC MO, shouldn't take long to get to Holmes Hobbies....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

My Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13T died today - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes hobbies 13t crawlmaster in wraith XJkid93 Electronics 11 07-23-2014 11:04 PM
Good crawling and OK speed: Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL chefclancy Axial Wraith 7 07-23-2013 10:48 AM
Holmes hobbies crawlmaster sport 1000kv q's traxxas4fun Electronics 0 04-29-2010 06:42 PM