Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Good sparting point

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Good sparting point

So I have 100% without a doubt decided on the Wraith Kit... The Wraith is too awesome and I cant truly appreciate something unless I build it myself (then its also easier to figure out how to fix it after I break it!

That being said, I have little to none in the way of RX experience or knowledge. I basically got into this becuase my 1:1 desires for a true trail and crawler would have put a damper on my wallet (and my marriage) lol.

So with that being said, and all the reading/searching/headaches I have gone through the last few days these are the things I think I have found and decided on.

Holmes Crawlmaster Expert 13t ($46)
Holmes TorqueMaster BR-XL (waterproof) ($110)
Venom LiPo 2S 7.4v 3200mAH ($65)
HPI SF-10W Servo 4.5kg-cm6.0v (waterproof) ($19)
Traxxas TQi 2.4GHz 2ch TX w/ 5ch RX ($85)

I am wanting to build this to be a crawler but also be able to get from point A to point B at faster than a crawl (though little/no intention of racing or bashing). What I am asking of you all is what you think of all this setup and if you would change anything. Maybe I picked something way past what I need, or 2 things that wont work together, or something that is complete junk. I would greatly appreciate any input/advice you guys may have!

This is all budget (ish) minded and thats why I listed prices, maybe y'all know of something cheaper and just as good, etc.
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

Default Re: Good sparting point

Your servo is going to disappoint you quickly. 300oz torque is the least recomended. I have two wraiths and weak servos suck, and dont last long. The rest of your parts look ok.
bushbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Try using 3s with the combo, with the right gearing, it will goes a lot faster and also crawl great. "Volt up, Gear Down".

Like mentioned above, your servo is waste of money, try getting something at least 20kg to turn that big 2.2 ripsaw... For a budget, try Solar D772 for $17.5 from Hobbyparts.com.

Also for $85, I will definitely not getting the Traxxas Radio, without the screen, you will always referring to the manual to make simple adjustment. Try a Futaba 3PL, Spektrum DX3E or DX3c, or even Flysky GT-3b/c.

The choice of holmes motor and ESC is great, battery can be cheaper too, try HobbyKing.com.

My $0.02 worth.....
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the input everyone, I will definitely take y'all's advice. Heavier Servo, Better RX/TX.

What's a good final drive ratio for crawler / trail rider? I will be going through and setting up a lot of vanquish parts so I can avoid breaking a lot of plastics. So will be getting new gears as well
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

What size battery? 20C? 30C? 40C? Looking to do the battery under the hood so whatever fits there

Good sparting point - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a good starting point aussie_rob Electronics 5 10-09-2011 07:24 AM
Good weight starting point Jer Redcat Crawlers 10 10-31-2010 05:13 PM
Looking for a good lipo starting point. terrible Electronics 12 02-21-2010 06:40 PM