Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies motor question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Holmes Hobbies motor question.

Well I have a question about Holmes Hobbies motors, do they last a bit or go up in smoke relatively fast, I've been motor shopping and after reading reviews on multiple forums, web sites, reviews on web sites, the brushed torque master series motors seem to go up in smoke quiet often, can anyone shed some light, are people over gearing the motor or pushing higher voltage than what it can take possibly, but even on some youtube videos the HH motors crap out first. I love the fact they make a 27t motor because I want a crawling motor with a drag brake but can keep up at a walking pase for me but I want a motor that will last longer than a month, I plan on using a 20t pinion on 2s lipo and love the specs on the HH 27t motor but am a bit concerned with quiet a few negative reviews.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies motor question.

They are as good as any motor..depends on how you take care of it..No matter what brand youll get burn outs and wear.

If you don't have a lathe to maintain a brushed motor then a sealed can motor is probably your best choice..When it burns out just buy another one.
That's pretty much all you can do with a rebuildable if you cant rebuild it properly..An armature is 20 bucks for the holmes budget models and 5 to 7 for brushes to rebuild it.
A sealed can motor is 12 to 15.

If you have a lathe you can rebuild 5 to 7 times if you know what your doing with cutting the comm. and then its only the cost of new brushes..5 to 7 dollars.

How much you use the truck and how you use it can determine a life span of a motor..If you plan to do a lot of mudding and driving in a lot of sand or dusty conditions don't expect it to last as long.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-15-2014 at 09:51 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

You should also really consider gearing down and volting up, 3s will give you gobs of torque and better top end speed!
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

35t on 3s is my preferred choice and I love my HH motors
BBCorvette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I ordered 4 motors from John (27t) and bought 2 used ones off of others on the site a 35t and a 45t and have had no issues to speak of. I also only run 2s so its possible the excess voltage could be burning them up. Or peoples poor maintenance practices. I clean my rigs after every good bashing, including the electronics

Last edited by Phins Fan; 01-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

my 35t torque pro for my scx10 on 3s is the best brushed motor ive ever owned silky smooth and GOBS of torque....now my 13t torque master for twin hammers has lots of power for about 45min till the brushes are worn out...for some reason i cant keep a set of brushes in that motor so it went in the motor drawer and i have a roc412 3100 now which is more fitting for a TH imo
Hoser1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run Holmes motors and I am not very nice to them either and they keep on going. I can say the first motor I bought was a 27t torquemaster sport and it has lived thru me learning how to drive a crawler vs. Nitro savage XL and was running until I killed it by running the brushes to short,and it still pulled the rig off the trail with slim to zero brushes. So I would say ,No they don't just burn up.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes Hobbies motor question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies Motor Question GrimJeeper91 Team Losi Comp Crawler 17 11-07-2011 04:39 AM
holmes hobbies motor question CRAIGB Newbie General 12 05-28-2011 01:33 PM
Holmes Hobbies Motor MountainJam Electronics 15 06-27-2009 06:06 PM
Holmes Hobbies Motor sbarnesvta Electronics 21 10-27-2008 09:57 PM