Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes hobbies customer service ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Holmes hobbies customer service ??

Is there any other way to contact the service dept. than sending email? This method seems to not be satisfying my instant gratification needs. I just want to know that my gear made it & its being fixed. I know things are never fast I just know normally he sends out a confirmation email.

Last edited by realsickclown; 01-16-2014 at 03:31 AM.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Holmes hobbies customer service ??

I ordered a esc and a shirt in December long story short it, I some how messed up my address on the order, after 3 emails the order shipped a few days later to the wrong address. I had better luck getting a hold of the 87109 post office (any one who has ever dealt with the USPS understands how difficult that can be) and they added the missing number to the address. I still have not received a email in reference to any of mine, not even a "hey did you get you box?". I think regardless of how great of a product you make, EMAILS MUST BE RETURNED. Especially if it is a web based business that the only form of contact is emails.

Last edited by fj40jay; 01-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I bought 4 motors off of john and had great communication. The motors I ordered were actually discontinued and he made them for me anyway. Great service IMO
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've ordered items and everything was fine, but I emailed him about rebuilding my puller and even in my order message mentioned to email me about rebuilding it but still never heard anything.
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins Fan View Post
I bought 4 motors off of john and had great communication. The motors I ordered were actually discontinued and he made them for me anyway. Great service IMO
Was this recent?
idahorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Today they sent me a email saying they are swamped
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Holmes had that nasty flu roll through his shop right after the new year.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahorock View Post
Was this recent?
Towards the back half of last summer. He did give an explanation in another thread apologizing for his recent shotty communication skills but we need to remember that 1) most smaller companies that produce a good product are typically swamped around xmas as everyone wants his product for new presents and B) He is a working owner who has a smaller crew so he has to be involved with EVERY aspect of his company.

The recent communication issues aside if you can wait it out they produce simply the best basher motors for the $
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Not only the above, but I'm going to guess that he has grown faster than he thought he would.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have ordered a few things from HH over the years.. Most recently was a BRXL and 13T motor combo.

Placed the order right after xmas. aka 12/27. I wasnt in a hurry for the equipment so I didnt bother him.. after a week. Just doing a follow up on my end.

I sent him an email thru his online request form.. A day later I got a reply saying that he was a week out. because of the holiday and the nasty flu that was going thru his shop.

Everyone has to understand that he is a small shop.

I believe his customer service ROCKS and is better then most on this Forum and better then most LARGE RC Comp.

Just my 2cents.
Losi6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

He addressed the issue in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'm working on the communication problem. We lost a worker first part of December and it put the strain on everybody else. The new guy is mostly trained and we are slowly getting back to pace. Our customer service rep will be replaced in March and I will get a phone number for order and warranty questions.

It's been tough trying to grow the company as fast as demand grows. I have had to step back from customer service so we can manufacture enough, and it seems that every Christmas pushes us beyond what we can handle timely. Better to be busy than bored I suppose. Just know that your concerns are heard well, it has been embarrassing to have such problems and we will fix it.

Things were easy when it was just a few thousand motors a year.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's a good problem to have.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
He addressed the issue in the other thread.
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes
I'm working on the communication problem. We lost a worker first part of December and it put the strain on everybody else. The new guy is mostly trained and we are slowly getting back to pace. Our customer service rep will be replaced in March and I will get a phone number for order and warranty questions.

It's been tough trying to grow the company as fast as demand grows. I have had to step back from customer service so we can manufacture enough, and it seems that every Christmas pushes us beyond what we can handle timely. Better to be busy than bored I suppose. Just know that your concerns are heard well, it has been embarrassing to have such problems and we will fix it.

Things were easy when it was just a few thousand motors a year.

This is from a year earlier 1/11/12

I wanted to share the changes with RCC that are happening to Holmes Hobbies right now. As many of you may have noticed, we had a period during the end of 2011 when our customer service started to decline. This was a combination of heavily increasing sales and an additional burden of moving the business into a better location. To all of our friends and customers who had unanswered emails and service during this time, I would like to extend a personal apology. It has never been my intention to offer a product or service without full support, and I am keenly aware of the issue.

Not bagging on HH but I'm still waiting going on two weeks for a reply about a possible bad new esc?
Got tired of waiting so I mailed it back,who knows what's going to happen?

I wouldn't take anymore orders until you get your customer service figured out.
idahorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I know what its like to own/operate a small business. It can be rough at times to return phone calls and emails when you have a ton of stuff in your lap that has to be done. Just be patient. I haven't had to deal with John yet as ive never had an issue with my used HH motor. I do know that when/if it craps the bed I will buy one or two more from him.

Ive told some of my customers. "The complaint dept is the green box next to the building. Cant miss it. Two blue lids. They pick up every Tuesday so you just wait in there until then." Its the dumpster.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

We are working to tie up the loose ends right now. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get back to everybody in the next day or two, but we should have everything settled within about a week. Spent an extra five hours on emails yesterday, it is a start. One of these days HH will be big enough for a dedicated customer service force. I'm counting the days because it is much tougher to work service a half day and fill orders the other half. This sort of split makes it easy to get behind on orders or emails when one has a jump in volume. Robbing Peter to pay Paul in a way.

When it boils down to it I'm having to learn how to manage employees and become a bigger asshole. Much harder than manufacturing a motor, let me tell you! I know it sucks for quite a few customers, being without an answer or update right now. But there is not a choice but to continue working on the problems. I have a family and employees that depend on it! Just know that it will take time to fix everything up to every customer's satisfaction.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Brxl esc how can you ad off/on switch really want to ad it!
MRSCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Wow John, there's a thread of haters against you lol. You must really be a very tolerant and adult gentleman. What these customers fail to realize that all of your motors are built using select and only the best parts also carefully handwound not churned out by the minute such as HPI Firebolt 15t's or Tamiya Silver cans....

These are crawler specific motors that even have their own specifications to perform better in certain types of terrain and environment. Each motor John makes personally himself so that his customers keep returning even if it's for a simple comm cut. I think people out there who just get into this new segment of r/c that has been blowing up just as fast as the short course truck phase did early on with the Slash which essentially is just a longer Rustler with a few suspension mods and a completely unscale body!!!

Cut Holmes a brake guys he's just one man and a team of trusted employees. Would you rather him find investors and start up a plant in China??

I currently own 5 Holmes BRXL's 2 that I couple with an external Castle BEC even though the BRXL might be able to handle it I did not want to risk it. On top of that I own 8 of Holmes motors from Crawlmasters, Torquemasters, one custom Holmes crawler specific motor, and a Cobalt 10T that he discontinued but made a new one just for me.

That my friends is customer care. Just keep in mind this segment of r/c is just growing there's just not enough companies around yet which is why pricing is high but the materials for the most part are top notch.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

So now we all know, HolmesHobbies is growing faster than anticipated, and John is adjusting to the learning curve of being in big business. So ease up kids he's working fast to fix our toy trucks.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for the reply John, I have been in business myself and understand issues come up. I didnt realize just how many orders you guys were behind on, my apologies. I have been and will always be, your customer. (corny line from ST2 TWoK altered for my own means )

Last edited by allanon1965; 01-18-2014 at 03:03 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Wow John, there's a thread of haters against you lol. You must really be a very tolerant and adult gentleman. What these customers fail to realize that all of your motors are built using select and only the best parts also carefully handwound not churned out by the minute such as HPI Firebolt 15t's or Tamiya Silver cans....

These are crawler specific motors that even have their own specifications to perform better in certain types of terrain and environment. Each motor John makes personally himself so that his customers keep returning even if it's for a simple comm cut. I think people out there who just get into this new segment of r/c that has been blowing up just as fast as the short course truck phase did early on with the Slash which essentially is just a longer Rustler with a few suspension mods and a completely unscale body!!!

Cut Holmes a brake guys he's just one man and a team of trusted employees. Would you rather him find investors and start up a plant in China??

I currently own 5 Holmes BRXL's 2 that I couple with an external Castle BEC even though the BRXL might be able to handle it I did not want to risk it. On top of that I own 8 of Holmes motors from Crawlmasters, Torquemasters, one custom Holmes crawler specific motor, and a Cobalt 10T that he discontinued but made a new one just for me.

That my friends is customer care. Just keep in mind this segment of r/c is just growing there's just not enough companies around yet which is why pricing is high but the materials for the most part are top notch.
I'm not smack talking him by any means, love the products and never had issues ordering, I'm a patient man and just waiting that's all. Someone said they had communication issues so I added my 2cents on the emails I've sent that's all.
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes hobbies customer service ?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazing service from Holmes Hobbies! CrawlinROCKS General Crawlers 3 12-09-2011 01:07 AM