Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Fully Automatic AC Lipo Charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Fully Automatic AC Lipo Charger?

Is there such a thing as a fully automatic charger that has a built-in AC power supply, is strong, safe and reliable, that will both charge and discharge LIPO's at the best rate for each battery without me having to tell it what to do?

I am not hardcore RC and don't care to fiddle with a charger. I need to be able to EASILY charger 2s and 3s LIPO batteries. I just want to "set and forget".

If such a charger exists, can it also be connected to a paraboard for multiple battery charging without interfering with the "automated" features?

Finally, if such a thing does not exist with AC capability, then does it exist for DC?
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Fully Automatic AC Lipo Charger?

I have never seen such an animal. If there is one I can bet it's going to be costly. All the ones I've seen or own you will need to tell it how many cells and what (dis)charge current.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I use this it's ac/dc and can charge up to 4 batteries at a time, it's very easy to use, but you have to tell it what to do.

Hitec RCD X4 AC+ 4 Channel AC/DC Charger
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
...it's very easy to use, but you have to tell it what to do.
Maybe I could get my wife to tell it what to do. She's had plenty of practice on me!

But seriously, I don't mind having to tell the charger how many cells each battery has. If I can't do that, I shouldn't be in this hobby. I was thinking more along the lines of "Fool Proof" charging and discharging. That is, if I hook up a battery (or batteries) when I go to bed, the charger stops at the appropriate voltage. I suspect that most can do that. What I was even more interested in is this:

Are there any chargers that can tell if the connected battery is capable of higher than 1C charging and adjust itself to that automatically?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just browsed the classifieds here and see that MustangBoy is selling a HiTec x4 charger with 40amp power source for $160 shipped. Granted, it's not an AC charger, but he has a computer power supply already modded for use with it.

It appears to be an older version of the HiTec X4, but it gets good reviews. I don't know how "automatic" it is based on my wishes described above. Any feedback on this rig and the price?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have the newer Hitek X4 plus ac/dc charger. It is automatic after you set the battery type, mah, and number of cells. I'm not sure what you mean by automatic. When the battery has charged 2 hours or has sent the number of mah stated or charged each cell to its desired voltage it will sound an alarm and stop charging

Last edited by 1tonscout; 01-22-2014 at 02:44 PM.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm running the same Hitec charger as Rowdy and am very happy with it.

One piece of advice, NEVER leave a LiPo unattended when charging.
I would NEVER go to sleep while one is charging.

I was in my basement working on a truck and charging my Thunder Power 5300mah 2S pack.. It is a 65C pack that I was charging at 1c, so 5.3 amps...
I heard a pop and looked over to see the hard case of the battery splitting open and one of the cells swelling.
I shut off the charger and pulled the battery. I grabbed it with a pair of pliers, and ran upstairs.
I had a 5-gallon bucket of with a water and salt mixture in the garage (was disposing of some old LiPo batteries earlier that week)..
I dropped the battery in and took the bucket outside...
Some time during the night the cell swelled even more, burst open, and burned the hard case and other cell, which caused that cell to open and fail...

If I would have been right there to see the battery swell, I would have definately had a fire.
Even in a LiPo sack, batteries should always be monitored when charging or dis-charging.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I recently have been shown the light when it comes to chargers. Check out the revolectrix cell pro power lab 6, a little on the $$$ side, and needs a power supply but you really can't mess up using this charger . Even if you don't decide on getting this, just read the specs on it, very nice charger .

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
If I would not have been right there to see the battery swell, I would have definitely had a fire... batteries should always be monitored when charging or dis-charging.
Amazing story! Thanks for sharing! I will re-think unattended LiPo charging.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Lipo's are nothing to f__k with!! You need to be more involved with any process while it's hooked up to a charger...not set it and forget it.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #11

I have a Duratrax Onyx 150 charger. I think it's about as 'automatic' as they get for LiPos. All I need to set is the current. Choices are 1.5, 3, or 5 amps. Alarms when it's fully charged. No LCD screen, just a multi-color LED to give you some data. ie, it blinks green 3 times when charging a 3S LiPo.

I hate it.

I can't wait to pick up a replacement. I don't like not knowing exactly what's going on with the pack or each cell. Would not recommend.

Do yourself a favor and take the 45 minutes worth of reading to really understand LiPos. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to know what's up, but please have a basic knowledge of Lipos and LiPo chargers.

If you're not interested in understanding them, LiPos might not be for you. LiPos might seem complicated, but they aren't that hard really.

$0.02 from someone very new to this hobby...

Last edited by Jesterhead777; 01-22-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Jesterhead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've been reading all afternoon. You're right, it's not that complicated. Pretty basic concept and math. As for wanting AC, it was for simplicity and small size. However, I'm already starting to get the bug for more power. Dang, it's a sickness! This hobby is going to cost me a fortune
Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Onyx 235 w LCD screen. Love it so far. Not a high dollar charger but does a great job. They are very popular w the plane guys I fly with so I went with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Strgazr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have one made by Tenergy that is fully auto. Plug the battery into the correct port depending on the cell count and away it goes. A LED turns green when it's charged. It charges at 1 amp so it's pretty slow but it's been working great for over a year.

Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
I've been reading all afternoon. You're right, it's not that complicated. Pretty basic concept and math. As for wanting AC, it was for simplicity and small size. However, I'm already starting to get the bug for more power. Dang, it's a sickness! This hobby is going to cost me a fortune
Being that you now realize that this hobby will cost a fortune, I would recommend taking a close look at this charger. I recently "showed the light on chargers" to Wade as well (hopefully he bought one) You will not find a more accurate and safe charger to use...and chances are you won't outgrow it. Revolectrix
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Haven't bought it yet Johnny but that is the one I will be getting. Most likely by the end of February I will have a shiny new charger

Cheers
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
...by the end of February I will have a shiny new charger
Not to worry, you can take the shine off if you want to. A few stickers here, some paint or wallpaper there, maybe a combo of all three, and the shiny is all gone! Johnnysplits can attest to that. Check out his power supply in the picture from the link below:

Charger Suggestion (yes another one)
Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
Not to worry, you can take the shine off if you want to. A few stickers here, some paint or wallpaper there, maybe a combo of all three, and the shiny is all gone! Johnnysplits can attest to that. Check out his power supply in the picture from the link below:

Charger Suggestion (yes another one)
Better than looking at sheet metal Wallpaper that red stuff is a decal of carbon fiber...$7 on ebay and still have a few feet of it left.

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 01-23-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Fully Automatic AC Lipo Charger? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Fully Automatic Brake/Tail/Reverse Lights... NFA Fabrication Axial SCX-10 6 01-12-2014 04:01 PM
Replacing fan in lipo charger - Venom Pro Charger iamsuperbleeder Electronics 11 04-04-2012 08:06 PM