Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Burned Mamba Max Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Burned Mamba Max Pro

So I burned my MMP today wiring it up in my SCX10. It's a rebranded Losi esc.

Wired it up exactly according to wiring diagrams, programmed correctly over Castle link, calibrated it up against my radio according to description. Problem was the motor went uncontrolled forward no mather what input I gave to my reciever.
So I unplugged, visited a budy of mine that really knows his sh** about these things, we checked wiring again against diagram, checked programming, recalibrated radio, let it run for a few seconds while troubleshooting, and WOOF, the unmistakeable smoke and smell of burnt electronics.

So what could possibly have gone wrong? Faulty esc from the start? Have checked wiring diagrams both at Losi and Castle website. They are identical and I'm positive it was wired correctly.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Burned Mamba Max Pro

I have no clue. You buy it new or used? I too have a losi MMP and have ran it on all the different motors and 4S more than once.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Brushed or brushless motor ? Was the esc set to match ? Default is brushless and will cause symptoms like you describe if you are trying to run a brushed motor in brushless setting.....
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Brushed Tekin. I'm 100% sure the esc was programmed for brushed motor. Strange thing was my programming card wouldn't work, but my budys card worked on it. We tried both configurations for brushed on both esc and wiring. Might have been something wrong with it then, if the symptoms points to it still being in brushless mode.

Bought it slightly used from a well reputated seller here in my country and he seems willing to refund, which I'm happy with. Must dig deeper in my pockets for a new though.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Castle Creations has a great exchange program if you fry one of their ESCs beyond warranty. I just replaced a Phoenix 35A ESC that ran $90 new for $50 shipped.
halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down Re: Burned Mamba Max Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Brushed Tekin. I'm 100% sure the esc was programmed for brushed motor. Strange thing was my programming card wouldn't work, but my budys card worked on it. We tried both configurations for brushed on both esc and wiring. Might have been something wrong with it then, if the symptoms points to it still being in brushless mode.

Bought it slightly used from a well reputated seller here in my country and he seems willing to refund, which I'm happy with. Must dig deeper in my pockets for a new though.
"slightly" used is all i needed to see. Ya know how long it takes to fry an esc? Yup. Bout that long. Get your money & try again dude. It's always a gamble with used esc's, if ya don't get to runnem 1st.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Castle Creations has a great exchange program if you fry one of their ESCs beyond warranty. I just replaced a Phoenix 35A ESC that ran $90 new for $50 shipped.
This was a Losi esc, rebranded MMP. Not so sure if it would help contacting Castle about it.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
"slightly" used is all i needed to see. Ya know how long it takes to fry an esc? Yup. Bout that long. Get your money & try again dude. It's always a gamble with used esc's, if ya don't get to runnem 1st.
I have absolutely no reason to think this seller was trying to push a faulty esc on me, he's reliable and has paid me back. If that's what you're getting at.

I'm going to use a Tekin FXR on this build for now. Might get back with a MMP if I ever chose to go brushless. But I have to say it didn't make a good first impression on me.

Burned Mamba Max Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max Pro and Mamba Max Pro Short Course? Soulo747 Electronics 5 01-31-2013 10:04 PM
Mamba Max Pro - vs - Mamba Max Pro SCT rctoyguy Electronics 1 06-08-2012 06:19 PM