Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Extending ESC Wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Extending ESC Wires

I'm working on my Wraith and I'd like to install the ESC in the rear. I'd also like the plug for the battery to be under the hood. So can I lengthen my ESC Battery wires without any ill effects? Just guessing they would be 8-10" long. I'm be running 2s / 3s to a Crawlmaster 13T. At the moment I will be using an AE2 ESC but will eventually switch to a BRXL.

If I can extend them should I use couplers and heat shrink them or solder them together and heat shrink them or what? Open to suggestions here.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Extending ESC Wires

Yes you can extend them.

What method best to use depends on a couple of issues:
- From an electrical point of view the very best would be to replace the current cables with longer ones. Resolder on the ESC board. Requires some soldering skills and proper equipment not to damage the ESC in the process.
- Second best is to solder on extensions. That's fairly easy to do.
- Using connectors in the middle is a good option if you want to mount and dismount the equipment quite often, and don't need maximum performance.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sounds good. I'll definitely solder the wires together, I won't have any need to remove them and I'm not comfortable enough with soldering on the ESC's board.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Just use a good connector and lengthen them on the other side of it. For 2 wires I would use a deans, or a pair of 4mm bullets. Having that junction makes it much easier to work on later. And as long as it is a good connector you will have no issues, especially on a low powered crawler.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I like to solder mine. I use wire that is at least the same diameter as the speed control wire, never smaller. Smaller wire and connectors=resistance=heat.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Just use a good connector and lengthen them on the other side of it. For 2 wires I would use a deans, or a pair of 4mm bullets. Having that junction makes it much easier to work on later. And as long as it is a good connector you will have no issues, especially on a low powered crawler.
So instead of soldering it you recommend to use a connector in between the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I like to solder mine. I use wire that is at least the same diameter as the speed control wire, never smaller. Smaller wire and connectors=resistance=heat.
I purchased 12awg silicone wire, coming from the ESC is 13awg so it should be fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
So instead of soldering it you recommend to use a connector in between the two?

I purchased 12awg silicone wire, coming from the ESC is 13awg so it should be fine.

On a lower powered car like a crawler I would ( and do) use a connector to extend wires. It makes it easier to work on by just disconnecting the wires, vs. fighting with them in the way if you need to take things apart.

On my short course truck I soldered the wires to extend them. Mostly because I did not have good 4mm bullets. BUT, on my SC truck everything is open, I can pull the motor and esc out as an assembly without issue. On my wraiths I use connectors.

I also have just pulled the wires out of the board and used long wires. You really need to have a good soldering station and tin the hell out of the tip to break the factory solder loose. Not really a big deal.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote

Extending ESC Wires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What the %$#!^@#, Just burnt up ESC wires bsn Electronics 17 08-08-2013 06:49 AM
Long/extending brushless ESC battery wires... simon170 Electronics 5 02-16-2013 11:27 AM
Extending leads on axial ESC lurchy Electronics 1 01-02-2013 09:33 AM
Extending battery wires day215 Electronics 5 12-13-2010 05:55 PM
Esc Wires pureadrenalin Electronics 2 12-15-2006 08:31 AM