Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: HH Servo

Turnigy isn't a factory, they are just a branding company. We have these made in Taiwan and started with an oem case.

The first run of servos is not waterproofed, but future runs will be. We can always waterproof in-house too. I have beat the snot out of a box of bls hv400s and have been very pleased with the overall value and quality consistency.

Although the first run has similarities in case shape and the motor source, we are engineering changes for the offroad crowd. You support us and you get future bad ass products that are made for crawling. We can't compete with hk prices, we have little things like insurance and employees that make more than $5 a day. What we can do is design products better for our community. Sometimes it starts with a little sticker slapping , Gotta keep the pimp hand strong while we draw up new CAD and BOM files!

Craddock, I know we have had email problems, sorry for any troubles you have had contacting us in the past.

You guys need to cool it on surfing the site, that is two crashes this week from server overloads!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
According to white -trash, companies don't do that . They just lie

Never said it doesn't happen. I've owned 3 different versions of the ae2 all with different brand stickers and the software from castle worked on them since castle made them all so I know they were the same unit with a different sticker. The BRXL has an active brake, is 6s capable but isn't brushless compatible which are the only differences that I'm aware of.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Turnigy isn't a factory, they are just a branding company. We have these made in Taiwan and started with an oem case.

The first run of servos is not waterproofed, but future runs will be. We can always waterproof in-house too. I have beat the snot out of a box of bls hv400s and have been very pleased with the overall value and quality consistency.

Although the first run has similarities in case shape and the motor source, we are engineering changes for the offroad crowd. You support us and you get future bad ass products that are made for crawling. We can't compete with hk prices, we have little things like insurance and employees that make more than $5 a day. What we can do is design products better for our community. Sometimes it starts with a little sticker slapping , Gotta keep the pimp hand strong while we draw up new CAD and BOM files!

Craddock, I know we have had email problems, sorry for any troubles you have had contacting us in the past.

You guys need to cool it on surfing the site, that is two crashes this week from server overloads!
I am glad John you clarified the issue, I am also glad that there are differences in these strikingly similar servos. If your servo is as good as the BR-XL, I will be stoked. I only run HH ESC (except my Pro which is converting).

However, please do not use the phase "we have little things like insurance and employees that make more than $5 a day". Especially if your servo is made in Taiwan, one of the more expensive city to live in, they do earn more than $5 a day and is obviously the quality and cost of production in Taiwan meet your requirement therefore you choose them.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #24

The BRXL shares the plastic case and programming protocol (castle link, they hold the patents on using USB) of other ESCs in the same case (AE2, Sidewinder, ect..). The brains, power stages, drivers, BEC, (everything that drives it) is my feature set. The differences are everything, the similarity is that one company has a killer PCB assembly line and was willing to work with a small company. Once my wife is done with her masters, I am going to resume EECE studies and start my own programming interface and control scheme. We have reached the limits of what Castle's style of controller can handle, so it is the next step in refining controls over electric motors.

We will also work on refining servo controls to allow for higher transit times without torque loss. The basic gain controlled feedback loop is outdated and I have ideas to improve it.

Everything has to start somewhere, plain rebranding is where 99% of companies do their business. I'm ahead 6 months engineering brushed motors, let's start on BL motors and servos now
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
I am glad John you clarified the issue, I am also glad that there are differences in these strikingly similar servos. If your servo is as good as the BR-XL, I will be stoked. I only run HH ESC (except my Pro which is converting).

However, please do not use the phase "we have little things like insurance and employees that make more than $5 a day". Especially if your servo is made in Taiwan, one of the more expensive city to live in, they do earn more than $5 a day and is obviously the quality and cost of production in Taiwan meet your requirement therefore you choose them.
Indeed, we did choose this factory because of the high quality and craftsmenship. They do get paid higher wages than the average China factory. I'm referring to HK as a retailer VS myself however. My requirements to have employees and run the business are much steeper than HK's. In Shenzen a business can cover the bottom line with very slim margins. In my neck of the woods it requires 3 to 4 times as much. Thank you MBA classes for explaining why China battery retailers obliterated the USA lipo retailers
Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The BRXL shares the plastic case and programming protocol (castle link, they hold the patents on using USB) of other ESCs in the same case (AE2, Sidewinder, ect..). The brains, power stages, drivers, BEC, (everything that drives it) is my feature set. The differences are everything, the similarity is that one company has a killer PCB assembly line and was willing to work with a small company. Once my wife is done with her masters, I am going to resume EECE studies and start my own programming interface and control scheme. We have reached the limits of what Castle's style of controller can handle, so it is the next step in refining controls over electric motors.

We will also work on refining servo controls to allow for higher transit times without torque loss. The basic gain controlled feedback loop is outdated and I have ideas to improve it.

Everything has to start somewhere, plain rebranding is where 99% of companies do their business. I'm ahead 6 months engineering brushed motors, let's start on BL motors and servos now
Can't wait what you can come up with. make sure it is 3s (or even 4s for future proof) compatible so we don't have to buy BEC anymore...

P.s. Where can you find time to do so much? you have kids?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #27

I have one kid, 11 months old. My mind just doesn't stop wondering, I constantly study physics and electronic theory. The child gets a lot of quantum mechanics read to him lately. Motors are most interesting, motor controller theory is starting to replace it though. I'm learning some programming languages and am involved with building a brushless motor controller from scratch with the MU hydrogen car team.

3s capable is tough in a servo. The jump from 9v to 15v components isn't always a power density gain. The RX would need to run on 3s as well for an integrated system. But it is on the table when the right hardware comes around.

Long term goal, either human/ machine interface or ethanol fuel cells as "retirement". I theorize about quantum machine state interaction in my down time, trying to model yes/no/maybe decisions in a network of quantum registers. I don't have to find the time for this stuff, it finds me!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have one kid, 11 months old. My mind just doesn't stop wondering, I constantly study physics and electronic theory. The child gets a lot of quantum mechanics read to him lately. Motors are most interesting, motor controller theory is starting to replace it though. I'm learning some programming languages and am involved with building a brushless motor controller from scratch with the MU hydrogen car team.

3s capable is tough in a servo. The jump from 9v to 15v components isn't always a power density gain. The RX would need to run on 3s as well for an integrated system. But it is on the table when the right hardware comes around.

Long term goal, either human/ machine interface or ethanol fuel cells as "retirement". I theorize about quantum machine state interaction in my down time, trying to model yes/no/maybe decisions in a network of quantum registers. I don't have to find the time for this stuff, it finds me!
Speak English please.....

P.S. The rx can be powered by the ESC, even your BR-mini should be ok to drive just the rx.

P.S. 2 Depends where you are in US, it 3:00am!! go to bed now.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Is the servo waterproof?
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The first run of servos is not waterproofed, but future runs will be.

cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
cheers,
Wade
Ah.. sadly I now remember reading that.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Even if they aren't though, I really am liking the looks and specs on these. Like I stated earlier, I know Hitec makes a really good servo, but these may be the way to go for my next build.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I love my Hitec's! Give me a 7950 or 7980 or give me.. oh sweet, a couple HH servo's!

One goin in my scx tomm, along with the new HH brushless.. Testing time!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 AM   #34
Proverbial threadkiller

Got mine yesterday!

Haven't had enough chance to do much with it yet, hope to get on it this weekend.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Even if they aren't though, I really am liking the looks and specs on these. Like I stated earlier, I know Hitec makes a really good servo, but these may be the way to go for my next build.

Cheers,
Wade
I'm definitely ordering one in the next month or two. I picked up the Turnigy for the cheap factor but I'll move it to my Ridgecrest and the Wraith will get the HH Servo. Should be interesting to see how they perform side by side.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #36
Proverbial threadkiller

Ordered mine late last Saturday night, it was in my mailbox Wednesday.

I had just blown out my S3051HV, and was wrestling with the prospect of getting a BLS172HV. I think it was Harley who put this Holmes servo up on his Facebook page. I checked it out, almost as much power as the Futaba, 1/3rd the price, seemed okay to me.

I was concerned, because the top on this servo is blue, and my crawler is purple and white. With the Futaba, I could have covered it's middle case with a wrap, but not so with this one. Nice thing is, the blue isn't as bright in real life as it seems to be in pictures. For a workin' dog, this probably isn't a consideration, though.

I left the BEC set at 7.4 volts, and threw a (3S) pack in for some 'testing'. The pack was just at storage charge, I didn't put a fresh charge on it, and I never did hit cutoff, so it was just a short knock around.

With three times the power of my old servo, of course, the wheels stayed turned where I had them pointed when going over and coming down off surfaces. I don't have any places at present where I can really use wiggling of the servo to settle or move the truck, but with this Holmes servo being much quicker to respond and having more power, I suspect this is going to be about the biggest difference between old and new.

So, I've still got some driving to do, to learn how to use this thing, but overall my initial impression is that it's a really nice unit, at a fairly attractive price. I'm really kinda likin' this thing so far.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Bluebird has a digital servo with the same exact case as the stock Axial RTR servos..My guess is axial was supplied by bluebird.,,Just a less powerful version (Lower cost)

The axial RTR spur gear on an scx10 RTR is a Kimbrough gear...A molded version instead of a machined version..(lower cost)

Associated RTR motors arent made by associated but made by Thundertiger.

Youll be surprised how much isn't designed and made by many manufacturers to save money..Cheaper to buy it with changes than making it yourself.

Re-badged stuff all over the place.

Reminds me of the mountain bike frame world...Funny how a cheaper model walmart mongoose frame is made along side a better quality frame.
Very few bike names make anything they put on their bikes for sale. From low dollar to high dollar.

It is a new servo so maybe it will have problems and maybe it wont ..Time tells all...If they end up being junk im sure HH will work with them to fix any issues or just drop them all together.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 02-02-2014 at 02:52 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Trubble---Great Little write up, can't wait to hear more

6sharky9--Very valid point

I think though, some people are afraid to lay down some cash on a product that is similar to a cheaper looking model thee ol "judge a book by its cover"
and I understand that, people are tired of getting burned. Not saying HH servo is cheap looking, I love the looks of it
Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Looks very promising cant wait to hear some of the reviews.
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I ordered one last night, for the price and torque you really can't beat it, plus I have zero worries on quality or issues since it's backed by the Holmes Hobbies name
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM