Notices

Thread: HH Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #661
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: HH Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Ran into an odd issue yesterday with my HV500. Thing powers up great and functions fine when under power. However when i disconnect the battery. The servo will only turn in one direction. it's locked up tight. apply power again and it functions like it should.

Wondering what this might be.... any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash-crash View Post
I noticed this also with my HV500. With no power i can grab my tires and turn them one way fine, turn the tires back the other way and once it comes close to center it feels gritty and then locks up. Under power there are no issues at all.

yall might have broken center pins. Wouldn't hurt to take them apart just in case, before the gears get munched and make a mess.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #662
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tip! Bent leads to broken! I know I dont wanna have that next weekend at eh RC Rock Crawling Championships.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
yall might have broken center pins. Wouldn't hurt to take them apart just in case, before the gears get munched and make a mess.
Yeah I will open it up, I bought a spare set of gears at the same time I ordered the servo so if thats the case then atleast i will have a spare pin in that kit... just hope that pin isn't one of the crappy pins too haha
bash-crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #664
RCC Addict

Finally blew the center pin tonight.
Had to really beat on the bomber to do it.
Glad I have a spare.

Are spare gear sets with the pin still available John?

gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #665
RCC Addict

Found a broken pin on Wednesday.... got a package on Saturday..... Holmes Hobbies has some of the best customer service. Thanks JRH and the HH team.
Attached Images

Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #666
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple of dead HV400 servos laying around with broken pins...I also had a retired Hitec 7955TG servo so I took it apart to see if the center gear pin would work in the HV400 and to my surprise, it fit. I reassembled the HH servo and gave it some power and it functions perfectly. It will now go into my part spares bag for the trails.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #667
Rock Crawler

Haven't seen any recent posts here...is the pin issue resolved? I just ordered one from Supershafty, but it's unclear how long it's been on the shelf. How would I know if its an affected servo or not?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #668
Quarry Creeper

I've had mine since November. Started having issues with my HV500 and a week later it went kaput. Opened it up and sure enough, bent center shaft. Emailed HH and they sent me a shipping label the next day. It's been a weekish but the lady said there was a storm and it should be looked at this weekend or Monday. So far, I'm with their CS. They are quick to respond to emails if you have questions. But I'm itching to get back out to crawling!
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:26 AM   #669
Rock Crawler

Thats concerning...I am trying to cancel the one I just ordered. I don't get to go out crawling enough to risk failure.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #670
RCC Addict

Default HH Servo

You risk failure every time you go out. It's the nature of the hobby. The Holmes servos are an excellent product. Nothing to be worried about and in the off chance you do have an issue they are among the best at resolving them.

Last edited by Rjohn929; 01-16-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #671
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
You risk failure every time you go out. It's the nature of the hobby. The Holmes servos are an excellent product. Nothing to be worries about and in the off chance you do have an issue they are among the best at resolving them.
If it werent for the stellar customer service, idk if I'd buy the HV500 again. But I may next go around just because of the CS.

FWIW, I'll be keeping a spare quality servo on hand though, just for these occasions. I know enough to know that ALL things mechanical can and will fail. Its a matter of preparedness.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #672
I wanna be Dave

Get a Promodeler 420
Curious in a shootout

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #673
Rock Crawler

I have the 420 now but it's too long and I don't feel like making a custom solution for my tie rod / servo horn. Ha. If I get this order cancelled I may try that savox people are raving about.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #674
Quarry Creeper

Smile Re: HH Servo

I just ordered my second set of replacement gears AFTER I sent it in for warranty work. Maybe its my style of driving, but I'm slowly losing faith in this servo. I beatthe crap out of my Turnigy 1258TG and it lasted longer than this. Except i cant repair the Turnigy...

It takes too long for warranty work every time the gears go kaput. But $22 every two or three weeks is frustrating. I think I'll try my hand at the Savox 2290 or another Hitec 7954 thats in my son's Bomber.

ETA: Another bent center pin... The top cover's hole where the pin rests is now out of round. Once I get another servo, I think I'll warranty this and either sell or use as a backup.
Attached Images

Last edited by slowmethinks; 02-08-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #675
I wanna be Dave

The savox 1283 is a tough bastard and has proven itself through both maslin and myself time and time again.

The savox 2290 is a baaaad biotch but delicious overkill in most situations.

I'm a fan of the promodler V4 too. It's easily my go-to sub $100 servo. It really is over built for what it is and it holds up to major abuse too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #676
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The savox 1283 is a tough bastard and has proven itself through both maslin and myself time and time again.

The savox 2290 is a baaaad biotch but delicious overkill in most situations.

I'm a fan of the promodler V4 too. It's easily my go-to sub $100 servo. It really is over built for what it is and it holds up to major abuse too.
The only reason Im considering Hitec is i can get them for just a hair over cost. But Ive read your ordeals with all things servos and really like the sound of the 2290.

I have a Mamba X and am waiting on a Roc412 3500Kv. Both will be installed next week. Im currently runnimg XTM 3300Kv 550 and have my ESC turned down to 60% and stock gearing. On 3S its almost too gast. Almost... Lol.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #677
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I just ordered my second set of replacement gears AFTER I sent it in for warranty work. Maybe its my style of driving, but I'm slowly losing faith in this servo. I beatthe crap out of my Turnigy 1258TG and it lasted longer than this. Except i cant repair the Turnigy...

It takes too long for warranty work every time the gears go kaput. But $22 every two or three weeks is frustrating. I think I'll try my hand at the Savox 2290 or another Hitec 7954 thats in my son's Bomber.

ETA: Another bent center pin... The top cover's hole where the pin rests is now out of round. Once I get another servo, I think I'll warranty this and either sell or use as a backup.

I feel you. The larger 2.2 rigs are the ones that show the servos weak spots. The next batch will have bushing inserts to prevent case deformation, and also give a repairable spot if damage occurs. Pin issues are solved. Now the pins are damaging the case, so we are addressing that. I'm sure something will be next in line as the weakness.

Current servos with oval pin holes will be remachined for inserts. Just set up my CNC mill in preparation.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #678
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I feel you. The larger 2.2 rigs are the ones that show the servos weak spots. The next batch will have bushing inserts to prevent case deformation, and also give a repairable spot if damage occurs. Pin issues are solved. Now the pins are damaging the case, so we are addressing that. I'm sure something will be next in line as the weakness.

Current servos with oval pin holes will be remachined for inserts. Just set up my CNC mill in preparation.
Thats good to hear. I opened mine up after a fourth failure and now to top case has a HUGE gouge in the slot. I thought to myself "this case needs a brass or steel bushing". Its like telepathy! But yeah, between the bent and broken pins, the center shaft is without a doubt the weak point.

Ill be sending it in again shortly...
Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #679
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I just ordered one of v2 for myself.
Aaaannnnddd the HV400 died. Didn't have many runs on it.

Last edited by eric113; 03-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #680
Rock Stacker

Same here. My 400 went down after 5 packs and no over the top abuse. I'm a finesse driver. Don't slam on my rigs.
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM