Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default BEC Question

I understand the principal behind what a BEC does but what I don't understand is how you designate whether your Servo receives 6.0 volts / 7.4 volts, etc. Could someone explain this?

I ordered the Castle Creations CC Bec 10A 6S Switching Regulator
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

Default Re: BEC Question

You have to get a castle link and connect it to your computer to adjust the volts you want the bec to send to servo.
Pitola23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The Castle BEC can be adjusted with either the Field programmer or a standard castle link and a computer running castle's software. The Castle link will also control the stock esc that comes in most axial crawlers, some traxxas esc's, and Holmes esc's also. If your going to run Castle products a castle link is a must have.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

OK so there is no default, I have to purchase a device to set it up before running. I'll pick one up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

The factory default is 5.1v output.

Adjustable in one-tenth volt increments from 4.8 to 9.0v output.
sniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I understand the principal behind what a BEC does but what I don't understand is how you designate whether your Servo receives 6.0 volts / 7.4 volts, etc. Could someone explain this?

I ordered the Castle Creations CC Bec 10A 6S Switching Regulator
whether you apply 6 or 7.4 to the servo depends on its stated maximum rating, if its a metal gear and the specs state it can handle 7.4 and you know your gonna push it hard out trailing then give it 7.4, if its max is stated as 6 then dont go over that without the risk of a VERY short lifespan.

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The servo I plan on trying is stated 7.4V, Titanium Gears and I'll push it ok but not much crawling or binding up.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I have received the BEC and used the Castle Link to set it to 6.0 for now. It will be a week or two before my new servo arrives but I really want to test out the Wraith. The BEC power lines are soldered in with my battery connector. I can either just leave the BEC as it is and not plug it into my RX or I can plug it in to the RX as the temp servo (AS-3) can run on 6.0v. If I plug it in to the RX I'm a little confused as to what port? I have four plugs on the RX, Ch 1, Ch 2, Ch 3 & VCC. My lights are plugged in to VCC so how would I plug it in correctly? I have looked at the diagram that came with the BEC and it shows to plug the BEC in to Ch 2, so then where do I plug the Servo in to?

My biggest question is will there be any effect to just leaving the BEC unplugged even though power is going to it. I'm assuming it's fine but I want to be sure.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

A vast majority of receivers nowadays have all positive pins on a common bus, and all negative pins on another bus, so you should be able to plug your BEC into any open slot. However, if you plug the BEC into the receiver, you will need to remove the red wire going from the ESC to the receiver. Otherwise the ESC's BEC will fight with your external BEC.

Leaving the BEC unplugged shouldn't cause a problem. If it were me, I'd just cap/cover the end, and let it hang out 'til I got my new servo and got a Receiver Bypass Adapter built (or bought).
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Default BEC Question

I actually use a y splitter to connect mine to my servo just so I don't have to cut plugs, etc. makes it simple to switch out or adjust the BEC if need be. Plug the BEC into one side of the y and the servo in the other, then on the end that plugs to the receiver just cut or remove the red and black and only feed the white to the receiver and your set. And you can tape it all up and keep it super clean.

I run all mine this way, and connect to the servo direct even on my trucks not running hv servos.

Good luck
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote

BEC Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bec Question. carp40 Newbie General 3 03-16-2011 09:26 PM
Bec question???? bigdaddy13 Newbie General 5 06-11-2010 08:19 PM
BEC Question ukbulldog Electronics 1 07-14-2009 06:41 PM
BEC Question BEELZEBOB Electronics 18 06-07-2009 11:40 PM